• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Here's the Mail it never Fails it makes me wanna wag my Tail

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Bag_BridgeMail_T_Sprite.png
Bag_BridgeMail_D_Sprite.png
Bag_Thanks_Mail_Sprite.png

Mail, in terms of the Pokémon world, is a held item given to a Pokémon that contains a message written by the Trainer. This message can then be given to other Trainers by trading Pokémon. The mail system has been tweaked slightly since its introduction in Generation II, using the more restrictive easy chat system in Generation III, then refining the system in Generation IV. Pokémon holding mail cannot be placed in the PC. The message written on mail is lost if returned to the bag. Storing it on the PC prevents the mail's message from being lost.

Now, if you recall from Gen II, you receive mail from a policeman to deliver to his sleeping friend near Route 30/31 where you get the TM Rest if you've delivered it with the Sparrow successfully. Now, in that case... Should there be more use of the Mail outside of giving it to trainers via trading? Would you like more mailing sidequests like in Gen II, where you actually deliver mail to other people? Should the delivering mail have helpful side-effects to pokemon holding the mail? Should you get rewards for delivering mail? Could you get mail from other trains that have loads of goodies in them? What else in Gen X&Y should have, that can possibly tweak or improve the mail system? Any other thoughts?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It would really be nice if we actually had more characters that actually gave you their Mail to deliver to their friend. This hasn't been seen since Generation II, it would be fantastic to see it return again. And there shouldn't be just one, how about there should be Post Office where you can deliver Mail to certain people and then get rewards after delivering the mail? It would be amazing to see something like that, and then you could receive mail from characters within the game, similar to how the original Paper Mario was like, but with this in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y... it could also have plenty of rare items with it as well, maybe even Key Items that grant you access to new areas? Wow. ^^

Guy

just a guy
Years
Get rid of mail entirely.
Never ever used it.
My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't mind if the mail item was removed from these games completely. It just feels so outdated and pointless, I honestly wouldn't miss it. I'd prefer it be used for more important events in the game and be held as temporary key items instead.

Actually, I think it'd be cooler if we got notifications about e-mails and from other NPC's that we could check right from whatever PokéGear-type system we're given. At least that would feel somewhat more modern and perhaps taken into more use.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
Actually, I think it'd be cooler if we got notifications about e-mails and from other NPC's that we could check right from whatever PokéGear-type system we're given. At least that would feel somewhat more modern and perhaps taken into more use.

^^This, so much this!

I honestly think mail was used to just fill up space on the ROM carts.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
That could maybe be like, an upgraded version of the PD*A from pokemon Colosseum/XD~! I dunno, I was thinking, maybe a possible postal/electronic mail system could be the only way that we've receive our side quests for rewards - if we so choose to do them. Or maybe it can be a DLC side-quest mail system?

Years
The addition of mail was a nice novelty back in Gold and Silver, but they don't seem to serve much purpose in the present games. I suppose if holding a piece of mail had any sort of added effect I'd like to see it back (like gaining 10% more EXP with a Pokemon holding mail traded from a friend), but if it remains as is, I wouldn't be upset to see it gone.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I never used mail at all, so I don't really care if it's implemented or not. If they do it would be nice if there were some sidequests. I think there was one in Gen V where you had to find 3 mails hidden on the Route above Undella, but I never really had the patience for that.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
yeah, i never used it either. like someone above me posted, it'd be a lot cooler to get mail from whatever bottom screen device we'll be getting in the game, which i hope will be something like a smartphone.

(when it comes i wanna wail, "MAIIIIIIL!!!")

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I stopped using mail when they changed the chat system between Generation 2 and Generation 3. It was more difficult to say anything worthwhile with the pre-set words. That, and I had no one to trade with anymore. Because of this, I just stopped using mail entirely. I'd probably use it again if it had more of a reason behind it, like a boost to the Pokemon if held or something like that. If the whole system stays the same, I really wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

If they do keep it in, they should really modernize it. Like Aerilyn said, an email rather than paper that can be checked when the player is ready to check it. That way, the player can keep in contact with any NPCs that they can choose, but it's not as obnoxious as the phone was in G/S/C/HG/SS. Side quests would be nice to have in there as well.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It's outdated...and sort of useless...even more than the stickers one could put into their pokeballs back in gen IV and that feature was removed in gen V.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
It's outdated...and sort of useless...even more than the stickers one could put into their pokeballs back in gen IV and that feature was removed in gen V.

hey, shut up! my whole team had really cool entrances before that was taken out!
now, onto the topic. i would really enjoy some mail side quests. maybe even a few threatening letters from the team would be cool.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm hoping that the mail system would actually serve some purpose in the game, instead of it being something for Pokémon to hold onto. If Game Freak doesn't choose to give any purpose for any side-quests to deliver the mail to other characters, then they should remove the mail system entirely.

And if they do make side-quests involving delivery of mail, I just hope there's alot of them. Not just one.

Back