• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who do you like more? Cilan or Brock

Who do you like more, Cilan or Brock

• Brock

Votes: 66 75.9%
  • Cilan

Votes: 21 24.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I prefer Cilan to Brock, however both are repetitive after awhile.

Cilan is at least more amusing for a chunk of time towards the start of Black and White. Brock was only new and shiny for the first season that he was around, and not even that. I think Brock has less to his character than Cilan does, and I also think that Cilan has a better design. He's more interesting to me, especially in the Japanese version where his script is bit more lively, and his voice is Mamoru Miyano, which is a plus. xD

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I personally like both of Ash's male travel companions, Brock and Cilan.

Firstly, I like Brock for his girl-chasing antics that always end up in failures. xD I also find his knowledge about what he does professional and a great inspiration. He had always been a great companion and mentor to his travelling buddies and always looked out for them no matter what. Also, being a great cook to both humans and Pokemon is always a huge plus! xD It is known that he can be depended on as a good friend.

On the other hand, I like Cilan as he is a great all-rounded trainer overall. With him being a Gym leader, it is no exception that he is a great battler as well as that he loves Pokemon and treats them as his friends. I also like his enthusiastic and flamboyant personality. His lively gestures, his many passions and his making the world a place to test out and use his skills as a connoisseur make the anime enjoyable to watch. Oh, and he can cook too! xD

Although I was sad to see Brock go, Cilan was, in my opinion, indeed a good replacement for the male counterpart of the travelling trio. I hope to see both of them come together sometime in the anime! They would be best buddies, I'm sure of it. xD

Guy

just a guy
Years
I could do without either of them to be honest, but as it stands, I prefer Cilan over Brock. Cilan just feels like a fresh of breath air ever since Brock left the group, especially after his poor arc in Sinnoh. Besides that, I've never really felt like Brock had a real purpose on the show. His dream was to become a top Pokémon Breeder, but the writers rarely ever gave him anything to do to achieve his goal or move forward. Whereas with Misty, May, Dawn, and Iris, they each have goals where as a viewer we can actually see them moving forward.

With Cilan, he's already an A-Class Pokémon Connoisseur, so we know that he's traveling with the group for the adventure and to experience new things as well as expand his skills as a connoisseur. Also, unlike with Brock, the writers actually put Cilan's skills into use when it comes to certain obstacles. It doesn't feel like he's just there for the sake of cooking and being a voice of reason for the group. Not to mention, when it comes to tournaments, they actually let Cilan get involved! Brock has only had the chance maybe a few times in the past, but hardly enough.

In terms of character, Brock's always seemed rather dull or flat compared to everyone else and his attraction to girls grew tired. Fast. Cilan, on the other hand, is more of a well rounded and versatile character in comparison to Brock. It allows him to be more engaged with what's happening on the show. Plus, I will admit, I do love his over-the-top personality.

tl;dr Cilan > Brock, but I could do without either of them.

d

Cilan. Sorry Brock, let me know when you have green hair and a monkey. Then I'll vote for you.

*walks away*

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Cilan. Why? Well, Brock was awesome in the beginning but, guess what? He got stale quickly and not to mention, extremely annoying his antics and constant girl thing got on my nerves. I love Cilan and I find him far more funnier than Brock especially since he's literally and everything Sommilier. That always cracks me up and especially his facial reactions. Brock? Yeah, not so much.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
Now for the characters themselves I find Cilan more interesting as he brings the dynamic of different traits such as a Detective, Fishermen, Stamp Collector, cooking fanatic. For me Brock didn't have that, but I did have admiration for his care giving big brother trait for not only his companions but pokemon they had and or encountered.
As true as that is, three of those four things were already done with characters in the DP series. Looker was a Detective, Brock served as the cook (not a fanatic, but fanatics are usually annoying), and James collects Bottle caps (which aren't stamps, but are still collected).

Personally, I prefer Brock because - if you can't already tell - I just don't like Cilan. Brock's 'pervertedness' never got old, but I find Cilan annoying when he's trying to be funny. His voice is also really annoying and grates on me.

And yes, I do know that Brock got a bit stale in the DP series, but when he is given emphasis he is a good character and far more likeable than Cilan as far as I'm concerned.

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
I like Brock better. Not because he uses a frying pan as a drying pan, but up until the Johto Journeys he was way more mature than Cilan. He was also very responsible because in his debut he had lots of children to take care of. I thought the anime was getting cheesy when they got to Sinnoh. Compare the first episode aired to the most recent one aired. Brock is better. You all know it.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Brock. He's pevertness, father-like character are the things I like in him. The anime has never been the same without him.

Years
I vote for Cilan because he is more lively and funny too. Also his different costumes according to conditions like Fishing Connouisour , Film etc makes me really laugh after seeing his actions

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I haven't watched many episodes with Cilan appearing in them, so I'd have to say Brock. Besides his personality is something that makes me laugh time and time again, he's a great character. The way he swoons at Nurse Joy or in that case any good-looking and elegant ladies, then has to be jabbed by a faithful Croagunk never gets old honestly. In general Brock is a great character and I love him better. n__n

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I prefer Brock over Cilan. This is not to say that I do not like Cilan though, because I do. I think my preference mostly deals with the fact I grew up with Brock, meaning that he's been around since the start when I mainly watched. I also find him to be hilarious whenever he gets rejected by girls. Cilan is a cool guy and I like his character, but I prefer Brock when asked to decide between the two.

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2021
QUICK SOMEONE WRITE A FAN-FICTION WHERE CILAN AND BROCK'S PERSONALITY'S ACCIDENTALLY GET SWAPPED BY A MANAPHY

Cilan was amusing at first, He was interesting at first, but I personally think he's evil. Has anyone ever paid attention to the Striation Trio's eye styles?

I admit, The girl joke was getting slightly old. He was bland by Sinnoh, but I don't see Cilan jumping into a giant water tornado for his Pokemon.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Brock all the way. He goes crazy when falling in love with a new girl, and I find that funny. I find that Cilan is quite irritating, especially his flamboyant behavior and his passion for certain things. Also don't like the voice actor who plays him either.

And did anybody mention Tracey Sketchit? He was only around at the Orange Islands, but I even liked him better than Cilan, though not as much as Brock.

Years
Common giys just try to be a bit more grown up. Yeah Brock is funny when he sees a girl but I think that is too immature. Thankfully in the Unova saga Cilan showed more maturity than ever

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Please don't bump threads that have been inactive for over a month. However, if anyone wishes to continue this discussion, feel free to create a new thread.

With that said, I am going to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back