• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What attacks should Unova Pokemon learn, but didn't?

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2011
I agree that Gothitelle should really have gotten any of those moves but it might have been nice for it to have a slightly wider special movepool.

I have often wished for better abilities and moves for some of my favourite pokemon as well. Although I don't tend to stray too far from what is plausible.
My favourite pokemon aerodactyl I really wish it got brave bird, head smash and acrobat but its movepool is pretty wide otherwise. Sturdy would have been great for it but that ability doesn't really suit aerodactyl's frail constitution.
Another favourite of mine Poliwrath. Although I love how he can use swift swim and belly drum I really wish he had got no guard from the dream world. He could then be more awesome with abuseable dynamic punch, hydro pump and hypnosis.

as for serperior learning earthquake I don't think that really makes sense. Its a lithe, agile, grass snake. Making tremors is not its style. Samurrot could do with a wider physical movepool also, sacred sword would be nice but I don't think the muskateers would be willing to divulge their secrets.

anyway thats just my 2 cents

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years

I think she needed because she has Brick Break and low sweep. Also it would make her a good fighter and not so hated. If you mixed:

Close Combat
Karate Chop
Cross Chop
Reversal
Focus Punch
High jump kick

with Swords Dance (a status move Gothitelle should have), you come up with one awesome fighter.

You got to look at height and weight of the pokemon which limits it's fighting moves.

I loved the fact they brought back Frenzy Plant and Hydro cannon ect.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Anyways, I agree that Ferroseed/Thorn should have learned Rapid Spin. It would have made it a shoo-in for OU. It will probably already be in OU anyways. I think that was just Game Freak trolling us. Plus, Samurott should have learned Frost Breath by TM. That would have made my Ghetsis battle in my first playthrough much easier.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
Years
I think that Purrloin should learn Night SLash or any powerful Dark type move before long

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
My post is a little off topic...I apologize. I just saw comments about Pokemon that have moves as Level, Starting and Egg Moves. This has been common since Pokemon first began. Some Pokemon learn the same attack twice, once as a starting move and then again 2 moves later. Egg Moves...ever since they've been introduced they had Pokemon that had Egg Moves in their Level list as well as some Move Tutors. Its always been that way.

For the move pools...I really wished Larvesta and Volcarona learned the same moves. Their level lists are greatly different and you have to either keep Larvesta to learn like two of its best attacks then Evolve it, or evolve it then and there and either way be forced to use Heart Scales to get the good missed attacks Volcarona missed because it was a Larvesta.

Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2011
Samurott needs to learn Sacred Sword and Shell Smash
Serperior needs Dragon Breath/Pulse and Aqua Tail and maybe have Psychic available as a TM

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
Samurott needs to learn Sacred Sword and Shell Smash
Serperior needs Dragon Breath/Pulse and Aqua Tail and maybe have Psychic available as a TM
They won't give Samurott a legendary trio's signature move. I don't see Serperior getting psychic but I can see it with extrasensory.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
Years
For the move pools...I really wished Larvesta and Volcarona learned the same moves. Their level lists are greatly different and you have to either keep Larvesta to learn like two of its best attacks then Evolve it, or evolve it then and there and either way be forced to use Heart Scales to get the good missed attacks Volcarona missed because it was a Larvesta.

Yeah,Larvesta w/out Volcarona's signature suck T.T

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Well, if you look at the stats, they're two ENTIRELY different Pokemon. Larvesta is a physical attacker while Volcarona is a special attacker. The generally accepted (at least competitively) moveset for Volcarona is Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance, and something like HP Rock, all things it can learn as a Volcarona as long as you evolved it at 59. :x

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Druddigon's Pokedex entry from Black says that it absorbs sunlight with its wings. Therefore, sun-based moves like SolarBeam, Synthesis, and Morning Sun would make sense on Druddigon. I know SolarBeam wouldn't be very useful due to low Sp. Atk, but it would make sense to be able to learn it.

Azure Wish

Haha. No.
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2012
Two things that really irked me were that Braviary didnt get Close Combat (its a war eagle!) and that Samurott did not get Shell Smash.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
I really wish Serperior was able to learn Sludge Bomb, Dragon Tail, Bite, or at least some decent attack that wasn't Grass-type.

It actually does get Dragon Tail :x Return is pretty strongs as well, and hell you can just Leech Seed anything not named Heatran, works for me.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I always thought Samurott should have been able to learn Earthquake. Dig just doesn't do it enough justice in my opinion. Leavanny should have also been able to learn Night Slash given its blade-like arms.

Years
Two things that really irked me were that Braviary didnt get Close Combat (its a war eagle!) and that Samurott did not get Shell Smash.

That would make sense, but I consider Close Combat to be one of the most overused and "uber" of attacks. Also, whatever happened to Brick Break in Unova? Hardly anyone can learn it anymore, and there is no longer a TM for it.

It actually does get Dragon Tail :x Return is pretty strongs as well, and hell you can just Leech Seed anything not named Heatran, works for me.

Whoops, you're right. Mine has Toxic and Aerial Ace, along with two Grass moves. If I run into a Steel-type Pokemon, though, I'm f....ed.

Last edited:
Back