• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The search for inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
So, tell us: what puts you in the right mood to write your fics? Is it a song, a daytime, a season, your girl/boyfriend or something else?

Years
It's usually music with me. I like to listen to music because it helps me develop a certain mood that helps me write. I like to put in some personal events and change them up a bit. Or sometimes just put things that have happend to me and make the character experience it. If that's what you mean by the whole girlfriend/boyfriend thing.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
It used to be that I had to have music on. Like soundtracks and such would really get me motivated. But now, it turns out that I need absolute silence to write. The only time I listen to music is whenever someone is being loud in the house and kills the sanctity of silence, so I blast my iPod in return. With headphones on, of course.

I also find that I can't write well in the morning. It's weird. Maybe it's because I'm groggy or something. As for the mood, I have to be calm. If I'm angry or sad or something, I can't write. My mind is focused on too many things then.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I tend to work well with music in the actual writing, and I often get a lot of ideas on the spot during that too. But it's more just a general 'I want to write rather than ____' feeling - can't be too tired or busy for it and beyond that it's really just whether I want to write or do something else.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I just kind of decide to write, and I do. I carry a notebook around with me wherever I go, so if I have a few minutes here and there, I write if I feel like. When it's time for me to sit down and write for a longer period of time, sometimes I like silence, sometimes I like listening to music. There's no set way to put me in the mood to write.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2019
Seeing or reading a well point quote - or hearing a good song. If there's a deep enough quote or I've seen something amusing that will some times spark inspiration.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Just reading other's work sometimes will do the trick. Read and then think about how you would continue the story or what you would have done instead. Be careful about writing things that are too closely related to your inspiration though. I like silence when I write.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Please don't post in threads that are over a month old. Check the date of the last post in the thread to see how old it is.

Since this thread didn't see much discussion in the first place, and it's two months old, it's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back