• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2012
How is confusion damage (hurt itself) determined in Diamond? My lvl 53 Lucario just 2shotted itself after being confused, the first one did about 120 points of damage. He used Sword Dance once.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It's based on their attack/defence stat and boosts. Basically the higher their attack is compared to their defence, the more damage they'll do to themself (which is the thinking behind Swagger which confuses and boosts attack). So with that Swords Dance already Lucario would do a lot of damage to itself.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2014
Really? Never knew that was the theory behind Swagger. On another note, I find it kind of strange how they don't seem to mention EV's, IV's, or the effects of a pokemon's characteristic (or when it's mentioned, they don't get into much detail). So, when EV's were first discovered, people actually spent dozens of hours calculating the EV's that each pokemon gives?

Okay, here's an actual question: Can you have all IV's maxed out in one pokemon (ie: 31 for HP, 31 for Attack, 31 for Defence...)?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Really? Never knew that was the theory behind Swagger. On another note, I find it kind of strange how they don't seem to mention EV's, IV's, or the effects of a pokemon's characteristic (or when it's mentioned, they don't get into much detail). So, when EV's were first discovered, people actually spent dozens of hours calculating the EV's that each pokemon gives?

Okay, here's an actual question: Can you have all IV's maxed out in one pokemon (ie: 31 for HP, 31 for Attack, 31 for Defence...)?

Yes you can. Although it's hard to do it without RNG'ing or cheating.

Psiiionic

RNG please ^-^
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 12, 2017
Does anyone it possible to RNG in HG and other 4th Gens with just RNG reporter or do you need Pikatimer and all those programs that I have seen in a few vids cause in 5th Gen I only need RNG reporter. In those videos i was really confused since they were using a really old version of the RNG reporter and the time finder was way different to version 9.95. Can you give me a good link where I can learn how to RNG legends(in addition to the calibration) thanks. I heard some guy named Everstone had a guide but I have never seen it though.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2014
I think it's possible to RNG in HG. Type in "rng heartgold" on google and a bunch of videos and guides pop up. Smogon seems to have a decent guide for RNGing legendaries and stuff. Just look up "RNG reporter" and "RNG legendaries" on google. I'm pretty sure the results that pop up are helpful, but I wouldn't really know since I just found out about the term "RNG" from dragonomega :P.

Professor_Jiro

New Authority
Years
  • Seen Jul 4, 2012
Help! PC box gives black screen!

I recently got Pokemon platinum for my Ds, and ever since my friend traded me a caterpie I can;t get into my PC box without it turning into a black screen.

I can deposite, but the withdraw or move options give me a black screen. Is there a way to fix this???

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2017
I recently got Pokemon platinum for my Ds, and ever since my friend traded me a caterpie I can;t get into my PC box without it turning into a black screen.

I can deposite, but the withdraw or move options give me a black screen. Is there a way to fix this???
If you could say how far you are in the game it would help but this might be a glitch, so try restarting. I had platinum since it's release and never had a black screen.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Does anyone it possible to RNG in HG and other 4th Gens with just RNG reporter or do you need Pikatimer and all those programs that I have seen in a few vids cause in 5th Gen I only need RNG reporter. In those videos i was really confused since they were using a really old version of the RNG reporter and the time finder was way different to version 9.95. Can you give me a good link where I can learn how to RNG legends(in addition to the calibration) thanks. I heard some guy named Everstone had a guide but I have never seen it though.
Use EonTimer c: And as for a guide, I suggest joining the Trade Corner IRC channel (they have a link in the Trade Corner section) and they'll link you/help you get to grips with it :3 I know TwilightBlade and Everstone have both written guides and there are members such as Gonz0 who teach 4th gen RNG, so I think going there is your best bet. :3

This sounds like your game has glitched :( Try cleaning the cartridge and if that doesn't work, try restarting the game. If neither of these things work then unfortunately you'll most likely have to get a new copy of the game. :c

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2012
Sinnoh Battle Tower Tips?

I'm currently trying to get 80 BP (EIGHTY?!?!) for TM26 (earthquake)

I've gotten 14 wins in a row so far (9 BP), but I have no idea how to approach Barry's father - especially that one Pokemon of his with like, 4 elemental attacks >.>

I also lost once against a Sharpedo because I didn't know that Fighting was effective against Dark (I beat it with my Lucario but the next pokemon was a Machoke)

Right now I'm using my Espeon as a starter up to sweep everyone out with Psybeam, who usually 1hkos everything except Dark/Ghost/fat pokemon, at which point I pull out my Dragonite and sweep with that instead (Dragon Rush, she doesn't know Outrage yet) My third pokemon is usually Lucario or Milotic, another sweeper and a special def wall.

Are there any Pokemon I should switch out? Other Pokemon I have are:

Drifblim, Empoleon, Rapidash, Rotom, Garchomp, and Honchkrow

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Sinnoh Battle Tower Tips?

I'm currently trying to get 80 BP (EIGHTY?!?!) for TM26 (earthquake)

I've gotten 14 wins in a row so far (9 BP), but I have no idea how to approach Barry's father - especially that one Pokemon of his with like, 4 elemental attacks >.>

I also lost once against a Sharpedo because I didn't know that Fighting was effective against Dark (I beat it with my Lucario but the next pokemon was a Machoke)

Right now I'm using my Espeon as a starter up to sweep everyone out with Psybeam, who usually 1hkos everything except Dark/Ghost/fat pokemon, at which point I pull out my Dragonite and sweep with that instead (Dragon Rush, she doesn't know Outrage yet) My third pokemon is usually Lucario or Milotic, another sweeper and a special def wall.

Are there any Pokemon I should switch out? Other Pokemon I have are:

Drifblim, Empoleon, Rapidash, Rotom, Garchomp, and Honchkrow

Well Palmer's team on the first go is Dragonite, Milotic and Rhyperior. It would be smart to bring along a Water type, since a strong water move will OHKO Rhyperior and if the Pokemon knows an Ice move it deals with Dragonite, leaving only Milotic. Milotic is a bulky Pokemon that can cause problems, so I recommend bringing along a stall-like Pokemon that can use Toxic and resist Milotic's moves. I suggest making your team; Empoleon (teach it a strong ice and water move), Garchomp (can probably destroy Dragonite if Empoleon cannot) and then the Toxic/bulky user. Perhaps slapping Toxic on Lucario since Milotic can't really harm it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2012
Cool thanks =D

My Empoleon knows Hydro Pump (inb4 he misses) and Ice Beam (would Surf work too?)
My Garchomp's strongest Dragon move is Draco Meteor.

Not so sure about putting Toxic on Lucario tho....

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Cool thanks =D

My Empoleon knows Hydro Pump (inb4 he misses) and Ice Beam (would Surf work too?)
My Garchomp's strongest Dragon move is Draco Meteor.

Not so sure about putting Toxic on Lucario tho....

Surf is still viable if you're worried about missing.

While Draco Meteor is good on a mixed Garchomp, Garchomp is still better off using physical STABs (Dragon Claw, Outrage, Earthquake) to hit the opponent as hard as it can. Really, the only Special move it should be using is Fire Blast to hit physically defensive Pokemon hard, especially those weak to Fire.

Don't think about putting Toxic on Lucario. While its defensive typing is good, its defenses are average at best. It should just set up Swords Dance or Calm Mind and smash into things.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2012
I Have a big problem!
When i play HG i beated "Kanto" and "Johto", i got my "Pal Pad", but when im in the start menu for the game trying to put internet information.. theres is no advance setup? and when i try to use "Accses Range" or whatever it called its say "Not supported"?, how can i get my FC now?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Is there any particular reason my Eruption (TYPHLOSION) does less damage then Flamethrower against Lance's SALAMANCE? I'm pretty sure last I checked, Eruption had more power then Flamethrower.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Is there any particular reason my Eruption (TYPHLOSION) does less damage then Flamethrower against Lance's SALAMANCE? I'm pretty sure last I checked, Eruption had more power then Flamethrower.
This, i second this I have the same occurrence (not with Lance, just in general), but with Hyper Beam. My Kingdra has a Modest nature 252 EV's in SAtk and an IV of 28. Somehow Signal Beam will work better than it. Odd...

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

Eruption's base power depends on your Pokémon's HP, the more HP your Typhlosion has, the more damage it'll do. At full HP, Eruption has 150 base power.

This, i second this I have the same occurrence (not with Lance, just in general), but with Hyper Beam. My Kingdra has a Modest nature 252 EV's in SAtk and an IV of 28. Somehow Signal Beam will work better than it. Odd...

I'm not sure how to explain that, maybe a type match up?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Is there anywhere to get another Dark Pulse TM in Johto? If not, does TYRANITAR learn it again at some point after evolving from PUPITAR?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is there anywhere to get another Dark Pulse TM in Johto? If not, does TYRANITAR learn it again at some point after evolving from PUPITAR?

The Dark Pulse TM can be found in Victory Road. More can be bought in Celadon's Department Store for P3000.

No, Tyranitar can't learn Dark Pulse again after you stop it from learning it, unless you take it back to the move relearned in Cianwood.

And to point something out, Crunch is a better alternative over Dark Pulse because it works off of its higher physical Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back