• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Global Link Android

ronwellcastillo

Pokemon Trainer
Years
Hi guys !

Today im gonna teach you all on how to enable linking with Pokemon R, S, E, FR, LG players around the world using your android device (tablet or smartphone) and MyBoy Emulator.

Things you will need :
1. Pokemon Roms Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green.
2. My Boy Gba Emulator version 1.5.0 for android (Google it Full Version or Purchase in Play Store)
3. Strong Wireless Connection (Wifi) or Bluetooth.

Steps :

1.Download the Rom and Install the Emulator My Boy Gba Emulator version 1.5.0 in your android device
2.After Downloading/Installing Open the Emulator
3. Browse for the Rom you downloaded
4. Play and learn playing it yourself :P

Linking (All players must do this):
Bluetooth: Only for people who is near to each other
Wi-Fi: For people far to each other
1.Open your Bluetooth or Wifi (must be connected to Wireles Connection)
2. Open your Emulator
3. Open your Rom
4. Go to any Pokemon Center
5.Go to second Floor and talk to the last receptionist who is in charge of Link Room
6. Choose what you want to do with your friend (Colosseum, Trade, Mix Record) both must choose same choice.
7. Click Option
8. Click Link Remote > Wifi/
Wifi Server : The one who will host the game and who will give the IP address and Port number to other players
Wifi Client : The participants of the game, you must know the IP address and Port number of the Server
Bluetooth/
Bluetooth Server: The host of the game
Bluetooth Client : The participants of the game, must connect with the Server's bluetooth.

9.After that a message will show that you must wait for the other players. After that you can now battle, trade or mix record with the other players.

Ask me anything and I will gladly answer it.

Thanks !

xboxmandude

Rom Hacker
Years
Thanks bro...
I know how to play multi
I play with my friend all the time... Over lan... What I want to know is can it work over two different networks?
Like if I'm home and he is at his house using a different WiFi can we still play?

ronwellcastillo

Pokemon Trainer
Years
Thanks bro...
I know how to play multi
I play with my friend all the time... Over lan... What I want to know is can it work over two different networks?
Like if I'm home and he is at his house using a different WiFi can we still play?

Well, Im sorry to say this but I haven't really tried battling with people from far away. But later I will update my tutorial.

ronwellcastillo

Pokemon Trainer
Years
Where do we find the IP address for the host?

Hello :) First your friend open >OPTION>LINKREMOTE>WIFISERVER> THEN THE IP ADDRESS FOR THE HOST WILL SHOW.

As for you, if you are the participant, copy the IP ADDRESS that is shown in your friend's Myboy

So did you check if it works? :P

Well, unfortunately I tried it once with my friend from Canada and im in Philippines, the result is no.

You can only connect to those person who is also connected with the wifi you're connected in.
Or to people your bluetooth is connected.

Thats all for today.... See you next time ;)

Last edited:

xboxmandude

Rom Hacker
Years
Well that's too bad... Anyways its better than nothing...
I hope the DS emulator for Android is improved...
It works too slow on low end devices.

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2013

I've used it on my Original Motorola Droid (Only 600MHz processor) and it was pretty slow, but playable. Now with my Droid Bionic though(Dual core 1GHz), it's at full speed almost all of the time... Kindle Fire HD is iffy at best...

Well, unfortunately I tried it once with my friend from Canada and im in Philippines, the result is no.

You can only connect to those person who is also connected with the wifi you're connected in.
Or to people your bluetooth is connected.

Thats all for today.... See you next time ;)

Let me shine some hope on this thread before we call it quits... The reason you can only play with people on the same wifi network is because your ports aren't open. Without open ports, your wifi router will not be able to forward data specifically to your device. If you know how to forward your ports, you can map it to your device and then connect to your friend. They have to have their port open too, and make sure you are using External IP instead of Internal IP. (Google what's my IP to find it)

If you don't want to port forward, there is a Hamachi app in beta with a few google searches. I've never used it, but I guess you would use it the same as you would with VBA link, only with MyBoy...

I've been a long pokemon fan, but I don't care for 5th generation and beyond (4th generation is a puch, but I kinda like the games) I'll be willing to play anyone in Emerald, but I will need time to re-do my adventure, I just reset...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Ok, I've got a question for ya. My girlfriend and I are going through Ruby and Sapphire using the My Boy paid version emulator. While trying to link Ruby and Sapphire, we got an error saying that they needed to be the same game.

Is that true, can you only link Sapphire to Sapphire and Ruby to Ruby?

Sounds kinda lame since the reason we got different ones was so we could eventually trade Pokemon that don't exist in each other's games.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Ok, I've got a question for ya. My girlfriend and I are going through Ruby and Sapphire using the My Boy paid version emulator. While trying to link Ruby and Sapphire, we got an error saying that they needed to be the same game.

Is that true, can you only link Sapphire to Sapphire and Ruby to Ruby?

Sounds kinda lame since the reason we got different ones was so we could eventually trade Pokemon that don't exist in each other's games.

This is probably an error on part of the developer(s?) of MyBoy. Your best bet is to either hack the header on both ROMs to have the same game code (something like DERP or BPRE to keep is simple) using a tool until the issue is fixed. You might also want to report the bug to the developers of the actual app so that in the future editing the ROM header won't be required.

Usually when your emulating another processor, it takes about ten times the processing power, plus a little more depending on if it also has a dedicated graphics card built in among other things. The DS had two ARM processors, one at 67MHz, and one at 30MHz. Thus, it will most likely take a 1GHz processor or more to keep it running smooth enough so that it's playable.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Ok, so the changing of the game code DOES NOT work. Here is what DOES work:

-Make sure you have both games on both devices.

-You don't need to have any saves on the game that you haven't been playing

-When you first try to link your games, it might ask where the other person's game is (i.e. Sapphire.gba or something like that), all you need to do is navigate to where you placed that second game, and then you'll be able to connect.

It worked perfectly for me. I was able to trade and battle with my girlfriend when I had Ruby and she had Sapphire. :) Hope this helps someone else with the same question.

MechVenom

A Wild Ampharos Has Appeared
Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2013
I'll try this when one of my friends has the emulator

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 5, 2013
Yes? Can you comment on how to trade between games? Currently my roommate and I both play Fire Red so we can trade with our emulators (which works fine).

But if that's the only way to trade, I'll never be able to catch them all. Do you know of anyway to trade between fire red and leaf green?

I saw shadow had mentioned a way to do this, but it sounds sort of unclear? Maybe explain the 3rd step, step by step?

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
Years
I wish on FR,LF,R,S,E hack will be wonder trade feature on normal internet connection whitout hosting or anything else

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Yes? Can you comment on how to trade between games? Currently my roommate and I both play Fire Red so we can trade with our emulators (which works fine).

But if that's the only way to trade, I'll never be able to catch them all. Do you know of anyway to trade between fire red and leaf green?

I saw shadow had mentioned a way to do this, but it sounds sort of unclear? Maybe explain the 3rd step, step by step?

Just have both roms on both devices. For instance, you play pk red and your friend plays pk green. That's fine, just make sure you have the rom of pk green on your android device so when MyBoy asks to open the other person's rom you can point to the file. It will all make sense once you've tried the process. If you try and still have questions, go ahead and ask me your specific question and I'll see what I can do for you.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 9, 2014
me and my friend cant make this work for fire red and leaf green it gets stuck in an endless loop of the locate game menu

Back