• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What pokemon is the hardest to catch?

GrayJM9

Playing White 2
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Of all time? I was just looking at Cresselia and it's catch rate is o.3% which sounds pretty hard to catch.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Literally or in game?

Literally, Mew probably if it can transform into anything. You'd never know if you caught it or if it was even there, on top of all the other legendary-isms.

In game, Feebas. Sure it's easy to catch when you hit the sweet spot, but who has the patience to deal with the requirements?

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
Statistically speaking there are 41 difference Pokemon with a catch rate of 3. The only non-legendary Pokemon in that grouping are Beldum, Metang, and Metagross.

Nottingham

We are on the cruise!
Years
To this day, I have never caught a Feebas...that slippery, slimy samaritan has foiled me for far too long.

As far as my Black 2 exploits have gone, Cresselia gave me a pretty hard time. I had to go all Dog Whisperer on it to finally do it, and this was after one of its appearances was shiny...

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I would say the hardest legend to catch would be Heatran as she still is not caught in B2 as for non legend I was agree with it being Feebas.

Turnip

Magnificent Turnip
Years
Technically speaking, the lowest catch rate is 3, which is shared by most legendaries. Still, the most trouble I've had catching was Arceus in light platinum, bloody recovering all the time. Think it took upwards of 100 ultra balls on 1hp sleeping, (save states taken into account). Thank goodness for 8x fast forward.

Years
Finding Feebas is a lot harder than it is to just catch it, and I never had the patience to try and look for it. Other than that though, I had a real struggle trying to catch Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit in Platinum. None of the other Pokemon that are a catch rate of 3 have I had much trouble getting, but it took me well over 40 Dusk Balls and 20 Timer Balls combined to get the 3 of them.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
Feebas is VERY easy to find (and catch) at least in white 2. I know i spent days trying to find one in my sapphire though! You can even catch wild Milotic in white 2 (idk about b2?) but she is about as hard to find as feebas was in gen 3. Anyway, back to topic... I find most of the good safari zone pokemon are a pain in the a** to catch. Mostly because you can spend so much time searching for your favorite, only for it to run away after 1 catch attempt :[

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Feebas before Generation V was a pain...
Otherwise Platinum Giratina simply because I am usually ill-prepared at that point to catch a legendary.

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
Years
Oh so that means I am lucky because I caught feebas with one shot of old rod!! Wohooo!! but how can I evolve him into milotic? -.-" anyway the hardest pokemon hmm I think its kyurem because it costs me atleast 25-30 ultraballs

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I would say the roaming Pokemon are the hardest ones to catch, especially the ones that can use Roar or any similar moves. Because even if you use Arena Trap, Block or anything similar, they can still use Roar to escape. So you got to be very prepared in catching these Pokemon (Assuming you're left with no Master Ball).

As for Feebas, I don't think it's hard to 'catch', it's mostly hard to encounter. Hence why I didn't include that Pokemon with the roaming ones.

Years
Cresselia was definitely the hardest.
Mewtwo gave me some trouble as well actualy.
I HATE roaming pokemon, even though I do like the concept.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Virtually every legendary I came across was hard to catch, but special mention goes to Azelf for having to deal with Nasty Plot-boosted attacks while trying to throw Poké Balls at it.

Captain Falcon

Gotta go fast
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2013
Chansey from the safari zone.
Not only are they really rare but they keep breaking out of the ball and running away.

Nottingham

We are on the cruise!
Years
Oh, another one is Tauros back in Red Version. It was the only one left that I needed to complete the Pokédex and I needed to go on three Safari Zone ventures in a row to catch it. Rough, rough time.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I remember Articuno in fR being particularly moody about scrunching itself into my Ultra Ball. I believe I rage quit and tossed a Master Ball. Lol.

Years
A few for me would be:
Pikachu in the Safari zone in emerald. It's so damn rare! then it always ran away. but then i realised if i put my Magnemite out the front (ability static) almost every pokemon i encountered was Pikachu.

also I've never encountered a Feebas despite two days of fishing in that damn river :(

and Rayquaza always takes all my pokeballs :( plus it has rest which just gets annoying.

Years
I've had quite a few notable tricky catches in my Pokemon gaming experience:

Cryogonal in Black - This thing was so hard to catch, even though I was using Dusk Balls (since Twist Mountain is a cave), it ended up taking me 8 Dusk Balls to catch the darn thing.

Feebas before 5th Gen - I could never find it at all lol, Black was the first game in which I legitimately caught a Feebas. Having to look for certain tiles is such a pain and I'm so glad 5th Gen made it easier to get.

Most Legendary Pokemon - Particularly ones with strong moves.

Beldum family - One of the few non-Legendaries with that dreaded catch rate of 3, it's just so hard to snag unless if you wait a few turns so Timer Balls can be more effective. Thankfully Timer Balls are more effective in 5th Gen then they were previously.

Pikachu in R/S/E - They are super-rare in the Safari Zone, and they are pretty tricky to catch because they can run easily.

Back