• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Rom-Hacking Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Just a comment...I was using google to look up information of ROM's awhile back, and I found a Nintendo announcement about ROM's. They said that ROM's were illegal, but they also said that they were not taking any legal action against them! Awesome!

Well why would they?
they'd have no leads and would have to break in random houses and check peoples computers.
they would just be like sitting ducks without a lead, unless they had a detective Conan, Sherlock homes hybrid of a person, and even then they would have trouble.

ICE-X

Pokemon Frozen Glory creator
Years
Lol

I keep my hack on a USB drive because I live in two houses. If nintendo searched my computer they wouldn't find anything......lol. And all of my nds roms are on my supercard!

Last edited:

Melash

Back for now.
Years
Well why would they?
they'd have no leads and would have to break in random houses and check peoples computers.
they would just be like sitting ducks without a lead, unless they had a detective Conan, Sherlock homes hybrid of a person, and even then they would have trouble.
Yeah...I guess you're right! We're worry free! For now.... *laughs*

mattattack

Huh, Son?
Years
Look this is how it goes pokemon downloading ROMS is kinda like CD downloading:

As long as you don't SELL it it's legal

The Rom websites are like LIMEWIRE it's free, has good quality, and is legal

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Look this is how it goes pokemon downloading ROMS is kinda like CD downloading:

As long as you don't SELL it it's legal

The Rom websites are like LIMEWIRE it's free, has good quality, and is legal
Downloading CDs is illegal too. :rolleyes:

dragonarche

Is back :D
Years
ROMS you are allowed to have them

ROMS you are allowed to have them

If you live in Australia
roms are prfictly allowed as long as you follow these rules
(i found a cople of loop holes)

*don't make money of them

*don't give them to other people
use ips patchs

*must be deleted within 2 days
just copy and paste
(changes the date moderfied)
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=615495

Last edited:

Ryousha

Waiting for Gen 4 Remakes
Years
Let me point a few things,
  • We have loved roms since we wanted to play roms on the comp right?
    Well... WRONG
  • Nintendo points out rom's are illegal, because then it gives a reason why smart people download roms instead of buying the game.

Another thing:
  • Rom Hacking isn't illegal(well to SMW-super mario world, it is.)
  • Nintendo are idiots and doesnt realize we can make a hack that's ten times better than their games.

Pirates:
  • Pirates, gain money, right?
  • I actually sue them if it shows some hack games I see

Examples:
  • Shiny Gold
  • Blue Sea
  • White
  • Pokemon Perla

Pirates gain money, then when they realize they get sued, they move their shops.

So if everybody stopped rom hacking, their still get money from what they burn games onto the cartridges, and tell those people who said rom hack is illegal to
  • Eat ****
  • Pirates won't stop, so stop complaining.
  • People of PC are going to hack you guys, if you don't shut up.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
Years
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Although, I don't see why Nintendo would try to sue a user of a hacked version.

Seeing how they are not taking credit for the entire game, but just for the hacked parts of it.

Maps, Trainers, Scripts ect.

When it comes to Nintendo, They're not the smartest with legal issues.

dragonarche

Is back :D
Years
Just a comment...I was using google to look up information of ROM's awhile back, and I found a Nintendo announcement about ROM's. They said that ROM's were illegal, but they also said that they were not taking any legal action against them! Awesome!
Thats good news for us rom hackers
now we can happily hack pokemon games agin.
yay!!

i hope pokemon platinum gets released soon
so i can play it on my R4
can't wait

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2009
i am a little surprised here... the fact that they joined some organisation does not change the law. at all but also the use of ips patches is also not perfect from a legality standpoint. some things you might be want to consider
-translations are ALWAYS illegal, but normally noone cares (counter example harry potter fan translation)
-having any nintendo code/data in the ips=illegal (will happen if you have to relocate a map or so)
everything else besides cheat codes is gray area at best

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
i never figured that Rom Hacking WAS illegal, i just wanted to be safe...even if it was illegal i wasnt going to stop or delete my roms...i download music and thats illegal but that doesnt mean im going to delete my mp3s either

Syrex

Years
i never figured that Rom Hacking WAS illegal, i just wanted to be safe...even if it was illegal i wasnt going to stop or delete my roms...i download music and thats illegal but that doesnt mean im going to delete my mp3s either

Exactly, I mean, sure. I wouldn't doubt there has been a few people that have gotten in trouble for the use of ROMs they had. but what happened with the whole pirating music?
People got caught and it was this giant ordeal over the news, but look now. the mp3 pirating ordeal has almost completely died off. Just like ROMs. I begin to think after long
enough of trying to fight pirating they just gave up. Just like how Nintendo has basicilly giving up on legal issues dealing with ROMs of their games.

Syrex

Years
I was just trying to get the point across that the government and companies almost give up on controling the situation because it gets out of hand and it'll take A LOT of money and such to be
able to actually bring all the people who has pirated games to justice. It's an impossible odd.

Syrex

Years
I haven't got a clue if it's true or not. I hope not :P But then again, I don't care.

Years
I keep my hack on a USB drive because I live in two houses. If nintendo searched my computer they wouldn't find anything......lol. And all of my nds roms are on my supercard!

Well, thats where they would bust you. Even though you keep it on ur USB,
it still leaves traces on your CPU. You would need to format your hard drive for
them to not find it, and theres still a chance that it would show up.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I heard on www.poke-amph.com that ROMs are only illegal if you don't own the game. Is this true?
No matter whether you obtain the game or not, downloading ROMs is always illegal.

In any case, I doubt that Game Freak would join the ESA, an American association. So far I've seen no mention of it outside of a few Youtube videos... and we know how trustworthy those are. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back