• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Who is your favourite gym leader?

Years
Wattson!!! What a character. I love him and his laugh...

"Wahahaha!"

Brilliant. One of the best characters out of all the games. Plus he gives you TWO TM's if you do that little side mission in New Mauville... And Thunderbolt is one of my favourite moves so I always do it.

Reinforce

Reinforce Production
Years
Kanto - Sabrina i really love her gym teleport game haha but She is really strong..
Johto - Bugsy well I really love bug types pokemon thats he's my favourite gym leader in johto region
Hoenn - Wattson haha I love the fact that he always defeating my pokemon :))

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
My favorite gym leader is Flannery. Mainly because she's a fire type leader, which is my favorite type. However, it's also because she's still like a beginner, despite her being the fourth gym leader. (That's mainly just funny, but whatever.)

As far as main trainers go, Steven Stone takes the cake. He's just... so cool. (Not sure what else to say here.)

EJ Nero

Water forever
Years
In Hoenn, Flannery because my Swampert demolished her team. :) And I loved her gym's design, Lavaridge Town, etc.

In Kanto, Sabrina.

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
Hoenn - Flannery

Kanto - Blaine

I like fire gyms

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
My favorite was definitely Flannery. One of the only videogame characters I ever had a crush on. I would have redacted taken her to a nice seafood dinner then called her back after observing the 3-day rule.

A very close second (and if we aren't counting looks, my first choice) is Wattson. Electric is one of my favorite types, and I like the jolly old man character he has. He just seems so... friendly.

Least favorite was Tate & Liza. The dual battle gym mechanic was fun and all, but that Claydol/Xatu combo was a redacted again tough fight.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
My favorite Gym Leader in 3rd Gen is Wallace. He was a pretty cool and interesting character in the anime and I really love the puzzle in his gym.

Meaii

The countdown begins ...
Years
Brawly - I like him since he is so easy to defeat if you have a Combusken. Simply peck all of his Pokémon's eyes out and you'll have destroyed him without getting even one hit point worth of damage. :)

Flannery - I love Fire Types, so of course I love Flannery! <3<3<3

Sorry for having two, but they are my two favourites and it's hard to choose between the both of them.

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2023
I'd choose Roark cause its a rock type trainer that is easier to defeat and lots of fun to battle and good

nundo

Quick! Dance like an eggplant!
Years
I'd choose Roark cause its a rock type trainer that is easier to defeat and lots of fun to battle and good

Roark is 4th gen mate!

Kanto: Sabrina, because it was so difficult to reach her in her gym.
Hoenn: Wallace, he uses milotic which looked so damn awesome.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Wallace for sure. I can see Wallace as a gym leader, but definitely not the champion. I think it suits him more. The ice puzzle was pretty cool and he was a kinda hard gym leader. It kinda pissed me off that he was the champion in Emerald, but at least they allowed you to fight Steven later.

In Kanto, Koga. Because poison type. That's why.

Ruben967

Lights they blind me
Years
Hoenn: Tate & Liza.
Kanto: Sabrina.

Yep I like Psychic types, but the gym puzzle is also fun (at least the Hoenn one).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
For me, it's Wallace. His gym provided a very challenging obstacle, and his Pokémon were tough to beat. Tate and Liza are also my favorites. They're the first gym leaders to battle opponents together, and it was just entertaining to have battles against them.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I've always loved Misty since the days of RBY. But I may be biased toward her because she's my favorite character in the anime, well, after James anyway.

As for Hoenn, I love Wattson. He's all jolly and happy and I love the New Mauville sidequest. I always enjoy it when you get to interact with the gym leader outside of the gym/gym match.

Back