• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
Here is the format of entries in encounters.txt:

Code:
011 # ID of the map (check the middle of the status bar)
25,10,10 # Comma-separated line with Land, Cave, Water densities (25 is average)
Land # One of Land/Cave/Water/RockSmash/OldRod/GoodRod/SuperRod
# Wild Pokemon entries follow (incomplete because Land encounter type requires 12)
PIDGEY,16
PARAS,16
PARAS,16
RATTATA,17

The number of entries required varies for each encounter type. For example, Land and Cave encounter types require 12 entries (rarer species should be placed lower in the list). You can look at the file PBS/encounters.txt to get a good idea of what to expect.

phoenixprime88b5

From the ashes, I rise...
Years
the remaining 106 pokemon (Need Help From Poccil!)

I know how t input new pokemon into the starter kit, I have the shiny fronts and backs as well as the regular fronts and backs of the sinnoh pokemon but the only thing I'm missing is the two framed animated icons that you said are needed along with the fronts and backs and fro the pokemon to show up in the PC and pokemon selection menu. Where do you get those icons because I would like to add these remaining pokemon to have the 493 official pokemon in my game, Poccil, and thanks again for your starter kit.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I have a bit older version of this starter kit, and I have some towns and that made in it. Can I update to the new version without losing all of the work

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
phoenixprime88b5:

The Pokemon icon animations are stored in Graphics/Icons/iconXXX.png, where XXX is a Pokemon
species number. They measure 128x64 pixels and consist of two frames, each of which has a
size of 64x64 pixels. In this page
from my site, you can find icons (animated GIF files) of each species in the game, as well as
supplementary icons for certain forms of the same species.

The latest version of Pokemon Essentials also plays cries of Pokemon species. You can find
cries for all Pokemon at my site (although
they are in .mp3 format and the current version of the code expects a file extension of .wav;
to correct this, replace all instances of "%03dCry.wav" to "%03dCry" in the script sections
PokeBattle_ActualScene, PokemonPokedex, and PokemonSummary).

phoenixprime88b5

Years
Everything is starting to work, it's just the png part and icons, you say 64x64 and the games icons are 128x64, what in the world do i have to do with the icons. I just wanted to know if you were going to release all 493 pokemon in the next release or not. cause the icons that you have on your site arent the ones that are in the sk. and even if i took all day to both the individual icons together, the pokemon icons in the sk look slightly different from one another so i know that you just can't put the two together and move them around slightly. Please help.

phoenixprime88b5

Years
Thank you Poccil, I apologize if I may have inconvienced you but thank you for making the icons, now I can add all the sinnoh pokemon myself, thanks you've done me a great deal of good. Thank you once again.

OblivionMew

Spriter in the Making!
Years
hey poccil, just wandering if it would be possible to do a national dex. What I mean is say that i have made new pokemon and the first one is No.1 in the pokedex, but after you get the national dex bulbasaur is No.1

Absola

~ Let me fly away
Years
poccil, your work is truly amazing... I have some experience with rmxp and I didn't find your notes and documentation unclear. But for non-experienced rmxp users I guess it could be a bit confusing. My own questions concerns the scripts and I'm trying to out if there are methods to make the battle background changeable, as the script doesn't use a simple image file.

If you don't mind poccil, I'll see if I can answer some questions from you guys here:

Houndoomed:

Well.. why don't check it out yourself..? Just copy the game folder and update one of them... another method is to copy the town maps you've created to the new project (the new version of the starter kit) and import all resources you've added again. Then you'll need to update the .txt files simply by copying the data you've written in the older version. Important: Remember that the map ID:s could be different when you copy your old maps in a new project so make sure the map ID has the same variable as in the .txt files.

Lorem Ipsum:

Just to see if I'm understanding this right, the syntax to create an encounter in Map #1 with a Pidgey would be:

11 Pidgey 25,10,10

No, not exactly. Here is an example of generating a Pidgey on map #1:

Code:
Land
PIDGEY,12
PIDGEY,16
PIDGEY,18
PIDGEY,13
PIDGEY,17
PIDGEY,19
PIDGEY,14
PIDGEY,20
PIDGEY,16
PIDGEY,21
PIDGEY,22
PIDGEY,23

The first line is the map ID and you can check a map's ID by checking its properties (or looking at the status bar). The encounter will appear in every tile tagged 2 which should be the grass patch. Hope that helped..!

Backmaster:

how can i edit the dexdata?

Just open PBS/pokemon.txt and follow poccil's instructions. If you want to create a new pokemon you can continue on the list but don't
forget to add it in PBSpecies in the script editor, otherwise you'll get an error message.

and how to add new moves in the move list?

The script doesn't support adding and editing moves and it's the same for abilities. I think that poccil has been rather clear on this and it's even written in the text file.

~ Absola

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
Thanks for your response. Now, to answer your question: Take a look at the script section PokeBattle_ActualScene, which implements the look of the battle system. Line 986 of that script section looks like this:

Code:
 pbAddPlane("battlebg","Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png",@viewport)

The file "Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png" is where the battle background is located. You can replace that file with any image you want (though it should be 480x224 in size). The image will be tiled to fit the screen. With scripting, you can change which image will be shown as the battle background depending on the situation. Here's an example:

Code:
 now=Time.now
 if now.hour<6 || now.hour>=20
  bgfile="Graphics/Pictures/battlebgNight.png"
 else
  bgfile="Graphics/Pictures/battlebgDay.png"
 end
 battlebgplane=pbAddPlane("battlebg",bgfile,@viewport)

(The filenames given are just examples.)

Lines 987 and 988 of PokeBattle_ActualScene load the images for the "coasters" where active Pokemon are placed during a battle. These files are "Graphics/Pictures/enemybase.png" and "Graphics/Pictures/playerbase.png" and both files are just as customizable.

I hope this helps.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
I need to know how to create switches, like "Met the Professor", so you can meet the Professor in Route 1, and then go back to the lab and he is there, when he wasn't before.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
Switches are what allow events to conditionally appear based on the state of the game. They are normally set as events are created.

To set switches, create an event by double-clicking on the map. There you will see a dialog box where you can edit information about the event. In the "Conditions" section, select the "Switch" checkbox and then press the "..." button next to it. You will soon see a dialog box where you can edit the switches in the game.

The event you just selected will appear only if a switch selected in the dialog box is on. In this box, you can edit the name of any of the switches. Pokemon Essentials also supports "script-based switches", where an arbitrary script determines whether the switch is on and the switch doesn't need to be set. Script-based switches begin with "s:" and contain the script to be run after that.

To change the number of switches, press "Change Max."

After choosing a switch, close the dialog box.

To set multiple conditions (switches) at once for a single event, you can create event pages for each of those conditions, and the highest event page that meets all conditions will be run for a single event. Finally, to set a switch, use the "Control Switches" event command.

I hope this helps.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
How can I change the attack power and accuracy? I've tried (successfully) making a new ability, but I want to know how to make attacks.
Yes, I know it says it doesn't support adding new attacks, but surely it is possible, just like with abilities?

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
Yes, technically it is possible to add new abilities, but due to the way abilities work, there can't be a unified approach to implementing them, since it requires advanced scripting skills, and in particular, knowing the functionality of the battle system, in order to add new abilities.

Much of the same applies with moves, since moves have many different effects, again making a unified approach to them practically impossible. Move data can be found in "PBS/rsattacks.dat", but that's a binary file and not a text file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back