• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It evolves from WHAT?

Years
I'm sure I;m not the only one who caught a Slowpoke and Shellder, and leveled them up to 100. But blame the anime on that incident...

Ever felt incredibly stupid when you discovered how a Pokemon actually evolves at what point/requirements?

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
A slowpoke and a shellder?... What were you expecting to come out of it, a slowking?
Also, not really. Just looked it up on serebii.

Last edited:

Gunn

horror resident
Years
This is embarrassing, but.. back when only Generation II existed, I misunderstood what the effects of an Everstone does. I thought it was supposed to immediately evolve a Pokemon under any circumstances. So after hatching the egg then receiving a Togepi... yeah, I thought I could get a Togetic. :P I don't think I was really even aware of Pokemon happiness neither.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I actually can't think of any misconceptions I've had with evolution. :( Sorry for being uninteresting! I do remember someone posting about thinking Dunsparce evolved into Yanma though.

OH. Wait, I have one. I never tried it, but I used to think Fearow evolved into Moltres who evolved into Ho-oh. Spearow wasn't even involved in the chain, lol.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
A slowpoke and a shellder?... What were you expecting to come out of it, a slowking?
Also, not really. Just looked it up on serebii.
I think he is reffering to such episodes like EP066 "The Evolution Solution" of the orginial season when Jessie caught a Shellder for the sole purpose of using it to merge with Slowpoke thus evolving it into a Slowbro, which it eventually did. There are also other minor references like in EP017 "Island of Giant Pokemon" where at the beginning of the episode Ash and Team Rocket's pokemon encountered a Slowpoke who was dipping its tail in the water, then at the end of the episode it tail emerged and with it a Shellder, then making it a Slowbro. Anyways King Rock is used to evolve to Slowking so I don't see him confusing it with Slowbro(at least not in this situation).

*Back to the topic at hand*
I don't ever recall missing requirements for a pokemon evolving or misinterpreting how they evolved. Definitely not now a days since I look up the information beforehand.

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
Years
I never had any experiences of my own, but I did know of someone who was convinced that Dunsparce evolved, and got it into the mid 60's before someone was kind enough to tell him otherwise ^_^

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I had trouble evolving a Skitty into a Delcatty, I used to think you had to trde while it's holding a silk scarf. Some of my friends also used to think that Farfetch'd evolved into doduo.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
Some of my friends also used to think that Farfetch'd evolved into doduo.

I think you can blame a certain pokemon sticker collection for that. The book you got for placing your stickers into showed the evolutions, but by error it had farfetch'd evolving into doduo.

I don't think I recall getting evolutions mixed up. Actually come to think of it I used to think that slowbro evolved into slowking, before I discovered only recently that slowpoke is a split path evolution and not linear. I guess you can tell I never actually ever used slowpoke or its evolutions seriously and had never evolved one.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
Years
I used to think Heracross evolved into Pinsir :P

Plus, I remember someone once told me (before G/S) that Togepi would evolve into a giant dinosaur-like pokemon.. and I actually believed them, the disappointment on my face when I seen Togetic. :(

Novia

Psyduck Fangirl <3
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2011
When I first played Pokemon Yellow I learned from watching the cartoon on TV that you could use the thunder stone to evolve a Pikachu, so I thought that applied to EVERY pokemon as an alternative to leveling them. I bought Leaf stones to evolve all my grass pokemon, water stones to evolve all of my water pokemon, and so on. Didn't quite work out like I was hoping :laugh:

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
The first time I caught a Skitty in Generation III, I had no idea that it required a Moon Stone to evolve. I kept training it and training it, wondering why it wouldn't evolve... I facepalmed myself so hard when I finally realized it needed a Moon Stone.

Also, I thought that Sneasel evolved from trading it with a Razor Claw. I got so confused when it didn't evolve after I traded it haha.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
The most recent one was in BW, when I thought that Litwick evolved at level 42... I was a bit surprised when It evolved at level 41 instead.

I also used to think that Budew evolved into Cherrim evolved into Cherubi, and Roselia and Roserade were completely different.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I once thought Dunsparce evolved into Gligar, I think they were right next to each other in the dex.

That was about it though.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I once thought that Hitmonlee evolved into Hitmonchan because they were the same type Pokemon next to each other.

On a random note, I thought that Remoraid didn't evolve into Octillery because of how different they looked.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
Every single trade-evolution Pokemon back in the 3rd Generation. I was a little kid back then, and having no idea how to use the internet, there was literally no way for me to know how to get those. It was frustrating.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I thought this was a very common one at the time, but maybe it was just in my group of friends: we all thought Togepi evolved into Chansey.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
On a random note, I thought that Remoraid didn't evolve into Octillery because of how different they looked.

Ooh! That reminds me! I thought Remoraid evolved into Mantine! It was quite shocking to see it suddenly transform into a Octillery instead.

Back