• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Gigabyyyte

Exploring the world of Kalos!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2013
Um, there are some things I'd like help for.

First, is this compatible with gogojjtech's HGSS Music Patch? If so, how do I apply it?

Second, no offense, but I want to re-reverse engineer (wat) the Cut system you implemented. :) Is that possible? :O

Thanks and more power. ;)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Um, there are some things I'd like help for.

First, is this compatible with gogojjtech's HGSS Music Patch? If so, how do I apply it?

Second, no offense, but I want to re-reverse engineer (wat) the Cut system you implemented. :) Is that possible? :O

Thanks and more power. ;)
I read that thread, and your replies in it, just minutes after I made my last reply, so I kind of figured this was where this was going. ;)

I'll send a PM for the first part. As for the latter question, you'd just be "reverse-engineering" my tree-cut procedure. You can find it tacked on at the beginning of each tree's event data in AdvanceMap 1.92. Note that you'd have to apply it to every tree in the game since you'd be assigning each tree its own flag.

Gigabyyyte

Exploring the world of Kalos!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2013
I read that thread, and your replies in it, just minutes after I made my last reply, so I kind of figured this was where this was going. ;)

I'll send a PM for the first part. As for the latter question, you'd just be "reverse-engineering" my tree-cut procedure. You can find it tacked on at the beginning of each tree's event data in AdvanceMap 1.92. Note that you'd have to apply it to every tree in the game since you'd be assigning each tree its own flag.

Oh, okay. I'll definitely be using this patch for my hack. By the way, I suggest we talk about all the music-related stuff (should you want to participate) back in gogojjtech's thread. Thanks again!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Right. Anyways, back on track:

I've already made a couple of changes to the hack since my last release. However, I've realized that the last few releases I've made really haven't had too much of an impact to the game. If I was to release the next version now, it wouldn't be any different.

Rather than release something small again, I want to aim for something a little more ambitious than I have the last few times. I've got a couple of bigger things I want to do down the pipeline, so hopefully something promising comes out of those! What the final changes will be, I'm not even sure. All I know is that it will serve as a nice kick in the shin that this thing needs. At this point all that I need to find is the right time for everything to come together nicely.

Just letting you all know that I'm not content with the things this little hack does quite yet!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 27, 2014
Hey, just wanted to say nice job on this! I just started playing with it and im impressed with the changes. Its nice to improve the game without it going overboard. Since you seem like your going to be making some larger changes, should I just wait until then to keep playing?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Sorry for little news recently about the update. Rest assured, I've made many changes to the hack since I was last here. The update will be live sometime before the end of the year. As you may notice, the poll is now closed (Gone? Maybe, I'm not sure if it will be soon). You know what that means...I've implemented an event for a real-life event legendary Pokémon! You'll be able to get Mew come next update and finish your Kanto Dex once and for all.

Other noteworthy changes have been creeping up with my progress on the update, but I'll keep those a surprise for when I'm ready to release the update. Who knows what all I'll change, big or small, by the time it comes up here!

I've also been heavily updating the interior of the hack, removing unnecessary code and fixing errors that I've ran into. Chief among them is my use of custom flags in the game. As I recently discovered, many the new flag values I've been using (in the 400s and 700s) are already used within the game for some reason unbeknownst to me. I've since relocated them to what I believe to be safer locations (the 300s). If those values happen to be even less safe than the others (and only then, I'm aware that they still might not be 100% safe), someone please notify me ASAP. So, in a belated response to this:

Since you seem like your going to be making some larger changes, should I just wait until then to keep playing?

I'd suggest this: Continue Throwback as normal, but note the following for when I upload the update. If you want to continue using your save files and save states from the previous version (v3.3.3), please do not have them saved in the following areas when you update:

• Lavender Town (Pokémon Tower and all buildings besides Mr. Fuji's house are safe)
  • Fuchsia City (all buildings except the Pokémon Paradise building w/the Safari Zone staff are safe)
  • Route 11
  • Altering Cave
  • Five Isle Meadow (the Rocket Base is safe)
  • Mt. Ember peak (with Moltres/Entei, depending on patches in use)
  • Icefall Cave's deepest room (with the Team Rocket encounter and, depending on patches in use, Suicune)
  • Treasure Beach - you'll see why in the next update!
Also, please apply the patches to a clean ROM file when they come up. Since so many things have changed position, there could be conflicting instances if applying them to previously-patched ROMs.

It's best if you either start and finish any custom Pokémon events you want to before you use the patch. If not done, some possible side effects of the flag changes include the following two things:

• Custom Pokémon events stopping in the middle of them
  • Some hilarious instances of people spawning multiple times in an event, possibly breaking them royally
If you do finish them, the events will be trigger-able again because of the different flags being checked.

I am truly sorry for any inconveniences these changes may cause. I'm just trying to make the game as safe and reliable as possible for people to use. Hope you guys will be ready for the update when it comes up! I know you'll like the advancements I've made since the last version. :happy:

Cruztown

Squirtle Squirt.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 1, 2024
Yo Richter, gotta say this is a cool patch. I'm enjoying everything you've put in so far, but I must ask: would you consider adding new Evolutionary Items to fix those that evolve by trade? Not sure if it'd be something you think is worth your time, but I figured it might be something to ask about.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Yo Richter, gotta say this is a cool patch. I'm enjoying everything you've put in so far, but I must ask: would you consider adding new Evolutionary Items to fix those that evolve by trade? Not sure if it'd be something you think is worth your time, but I figured it might be something to ask about.
I know not a lot of people will agree with me on this, but my intentions to keep things in my hack consistent with the canon in the official games extend to trade evolutions. Changing how they evolve all of a sudden would break continuity with the rest of the games, so, for better or for worse, method of evolution will not change.

What I would like to do is implement a method of simulating trade within the game. That is, having the actions being done in-game be similar to what happens during an actual trade. You know, like trading with yourself or having a Poké Ball with a Pokémon in it move from one system to another (like how they would during a trade). Of course, I can't do that without learning ASM, and even then it may be difficult to do. Sorry about that! You can still trade to evolve them as normal, or find the one area in the game where you can catch the evolved forms of them.

Cruztown

Squirtle Squirt.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 1, 2024
I know not a lot of people will agree with me on this, but my intentions to keep things in my hack consistent with the canon in the official games extend to trade evolutions. Changing how they evolve all of a sudden would break continuity with the rest of the games, so, for better or for worse, method of evolution will not change.

What I would like to do is implement a method of simulating trade within the game. That is, having the actions being done in-game be similar to what happens during an actual trade. You know, like trading with yourself or having a Poké Ball with a Pokémon in it move from one system to another (like how they would during a trade). Of course, I can't do that without learning ASM, and even then it may be difficult to do. Sorry about that! You can still trade to evolve them as normal, or find the one area in the game where you can catch the evolved forms of them.

Oooh, that sounds tough. Well, thought I'd just ask in case. Good luck!

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2017
Will you be changing any of the tiles so that it will look more like the original games and also make Kanto look exactly like it did in red and blue.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Will you be changing any of the tiles so that it will look more like the original games and also make Kanto look exactly like it did in red and blue.
DrFuji actually started a hack a long time back that did what you're asking. It's called Retro Red if you'd like to see what that did (I believe he's since stopped working on it). I currently have no plans to do this. Every map would need to be changed beyond tile sets, as you've pointed out. If I were to do this, it would break compatibility with all of my other patches for good. Besides, I don't think people hold map dimensions that fondly.

If I were to ever do that, this project would likely take on a much different form. It could happen, since almost anything is possible. Don't hold your breath, though. Sorry!

I've got an announcement for everyone. Unless some strange circumstance holds me back, I'll be releasing my update on Thanksgiving! I've been working hard on it recently, and I feel pretty happy about how it's shaping up. Stay tuned! :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
Sweet idea! I love Red's old outfit. I assume you'll also be altering the effectiveness of psychic/ghost? Also, I think Mew should be implemented in a way similar to the Mew glitch. Celebi should not be implemented.

This really is a great idea. I see so many ways to make the remakes more...Gen 1ish. Good job!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Sweet idea! I love Red's old outfit. I assume you'll also be altering the effectiveness of psychic/ghost? Also, I think Mew should be implemented in a way similar to the Mew glitch. Celebi should not be implemented.

This really is a great idea. I see so many ways to make the remakes more...Gen 1ish. Good job!
Although I do want to allow FireRed to have more retro features, it is not my intention to reintroduce flaws of the originals. The Psychic/Ghost dynamic in the 1st Gen games is believed to be an error in the game, as official sources back then suggested that Ghost was super-effective against Psychic. A trainer in the games themselves even said that Psychic-types fear Ghost-type moves. And, if you read one of my earlier posts, I've already implemented Mew into the game. I can tell you, though, it will not be caught in a manner similar to that infamous glitch.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.5 is now available for download!

As it turns out, releasing an update on a holiday wasn't that great of an idea. However, I'm sticking to my word with this one.

Many things have changed since last time, with many new spoils being added for you all to enjoy. In particular, you can now get Mew and the Johto starters. New guides are in the downloads for wild Pokémon locations and new event referencing. Also, several items previously unobtainable in the game are now available to be had. Many other little issues have been fixed.

As such, I must suggest something I never wanted to do: Depending on how far you got in the game previously, you might be better off starting with new save files. This is because of many changed flag values and new event code replacing older code. It's not required, but merely suggested.

Anyways, on to the massive c
hangelog:

Spoiler:

Those new guides should help answer any questions you have with getting all the Pokémon in the Catch 'em All portion of the hack (sans Safari Zone, which should have an easily-understandable Pokémon layout). If there are any other questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy! :)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Cool! Just caught that Mew. I couldn't really tell, but did it use the Mew battle music from Emerald?

I said it before, but this was a great hack.

Final (possibly?) thoughts would be to make it less... FireRedesque. Maybe have "Throwback Edition" on the title screen. Maybe tweak the Pokemon locations just a bit more to take into consideration Yellow and Japanese Blue if you haven't already (heck, maybe even the original Pinball on GBC if there's any variation there).

There was a comment above about in-game trades for Pokemon who evolve by trade. Is extensive ASM necessary if replacing existing trades rather than adding to them? You could trade for Haunter/Gengar in Cerulean instead of a Jynx, or Graveler/Golem on Cinnabar instead of a Electrode in Japanese Blue. And Machoke/Machamp instead of a Nidoran on Route 5 in Yellow Version. I think we could sacrifice the very common Nidoran.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Whoa, sweet! This is great! Cool hack. Keep up the amazing work there!
Oh and BTW, gotta play this when its done {:3}

Thanks! I'm not sure I can really say if this hack is "done," since at this point I really don't know when I feel other things I change are additions as opposed to progress to completion.

Cool! Just caught that Mew. I couldn't really tell, but did it use the Mew battle music from Emerald?

I said it before, but this was a great hack.

Final (possibly?) thoughts would be to make it less... FireRedesque. Maybe have "Throwback Edition" on the title screen. Maybe tweak the Pokemon locations just a bit more to take into consideration Yellow and Japanese Blue if you haven't already (heck, maybe even the original Pinball on GBC if there's any variation there).

There was a comment above about in-game trades for Pokemon who evolve by trade. Is extensive ASM necessary if replacing existing trades rather than adding to them? You could trade for Haunter/Gengar in Cerulean instead of a Jynx, or Graveler/Golem on Cinnabar instead of a Electrode in Japanese Blue. And Machoke/Machamp instead of a Nidoran on Route 5 in Yellow Version. I think we could sacrifice the very common Nidoran.
It's the same battle music that Mewtwo has. I didn't import the Emerald Mew battle music for two reasons. First, it isn't noticeably different enough to be worth taking up extra space in the ROM and repurposing an already existing track (there are extra ones, but I might want to use those later). And second, the slight variations in the tune that you can notice use instruments and patterns that are more characteristic of the R/S/E sound as opposed to the FR/LG sound.

If I change the title screen, I certainly won't make it say "Throwback Edition." Although I'm happy of the work I've done, the impression of authenticity and officialness are important to me. I'd probably give it a name fitting of an official release from Game Freak (or any RPG developer, for that matter) if they were to theoretically make a one-version game. The hack will still hold that name, of course. Other changes would include completely replacing the accompanying graphics with a more version-agnostic alternative.

And, if you haven't looked at the Wild Locations guide yet, you'll notice that many of the changes in Wild Pokémon have taken both Japanese Blue and Yellow into account. You'll find Jynx at the Seafoam Islands and Lickitung in Cerulean Cave, for example. And, if you're (un)lucky, you may stumble upon a Pidgeotto in the Viridan Forest. These are just a few of many examples.

I don't want to replace existing trades for a couple of reasons. First, there are only nine trades in the game, and ten Pokémon throughout the first two generations that evolve through trade. This alone obviously makes this approach unsatisfactory. And second, the Pokémon you receive won't be yours, but that of an NPC in the game. I want all obtainable Pokémon to be yours, not someone else's. That's not considering that this would make Johto Pokémon accessible before you complete the game...or at least screw people over who try to make those trades before the post-game (the same National Dex rules as FR/LG apply in my hack).

Cruztown

Squirtle Squirt.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 1, 2024
Yo Richter, I don't know if you uh, meant for Mew to continually respawn until you leave the island for good, but it does. Maybe the script doesn't set a flag unique to its ID?

Back