• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphics & Photography Competitions Q&A/Discussion

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Each host could just hold a hall of fame somewhere, at their discretion, because it is a lot of work.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Oh, maybe people aren't entering because it says the deadline was May 9th.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Alright guys, the new competition is up, this will be the current replacement for [SotW].

Enjoy, and spread the word!

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2012
So, I see a lot of people mentioned that my icon was 'washed out', and drained.
At first I didn't really get what they were getting at, but then I looked at it from another computer.. How much of a difference can monitor settings cause? Because, apparently, the curves I adjusted completely messed it up. Even if it looks fine on my PC..

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
So, I see a lot of people mentioned that my icon was 'washed out', and drained.
At first I didn't really get what they were getting at, but then I looked at it from another computer.. How much of a difference can monitor settings cause? Because, apparently, the curves I adjusted completely messed it up. Even if it looks fine on my PC..
Monitors can cause a difference, you've obviously got one that doesn't uphold the average display. I would advise you either adjusting your settings to look like another monitor (which seems more usual) and from there you can be able to determine the difference. Either that or get a new monitor I guess. Especially if you're into graphics, a good screen is a very important part of ensuring clarity.

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2012
I tried changing a lot of settings; messing with the RGB scales, brightness and contrast, and I've managed to get both screens, my laptop and PC's to match with little difference. But since the devil is in the details, I think I'm going to have to install CS5 on my laptop eventually. Thanks for the advice Abnegation.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Going to start a Halloween graphics competition here in Competitions very soon. It'll most likely be a very open contest, with several emblems, and a completely broad option for what medium you choose. So you can do a large piece, icons, tag, digital painting, whatever suits. There will be one overall winner, and emblems for honourable mentions and other little surprises!

moments.

quixotic
Years
Guys, ToTF #8 is up, and the theme is "Sprites". I just thought I'd post some examples here for reference in case it isn't clear enough (because I haven't seen many people doing sprite tags around here).

Both these tags were made by me and are extremely old.

tropius.png

ghost.png

As you can see, the focal points are Pokemon Sprites. Note, that you don't need to use Pokemon sprites if you don't want.

Good luck everyone! :D

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Don't generally jump in and question people's criticism but...
You should probably look at moments' stock image. What you said you liked is the atmosphere and the smoke. Both of which are part of the stock image and not something I feel moments actually brought to the piece.

Exactly, it was what you felt. Not him. And if I remember correctly, not all of the smoke and whisps in the finished piece were there in the stock, so moments. did actually bring a more enhanced atmospheric feel to his work, along with the smoke also.

First of all, the fact that a tag or piece "doesn't need text" isn't really a positive point. The inclusion of text is just a factor of the image. Not to mention that using text is quite difficult, typography is one of the largest aspects of graphic art, and the absence of it in a piece shouldn't effect the piece positively at all. To say my tag had too much contrast is a little odd, like stated in all TotF's before, you need to take into mind the theme. And given that this was all about color of course it needed to have a lot of contrast.

While I do like moments' tag, I do feel that some of the comments are forgetting to both look at the stock and the theme. Just looking over the posts I'm just gonna nip this at the bud and remind people of the rules of TotF. Regardless of what tag you feel is the best, always keep in mind the themes and to look at the stocks. This was an issue in past TotF's and SotW's. The comments simply seemed to me to be falling back into the habit of members voting without reading the rules and taking into account the stock images used and the themes presented.

So just for future TotF's guys remember to keep those in mind, as well as this fortnight's of course. Just so that we can actually hold onto the competition this time! Anyway, good luck to all participants and happy voting.

Not necissarily imo; there are pieces which don't need text to convey a message or point or to provide depth or detail, so really by saying that "not using text is not a positive point" is being quite narrow-minded tbh. The editing moments. applied to his piece emphasised the stock well enough not to need text. I'm not saying not having text is always the way to go, and I definitely believe that in some cases text does look better and enhance an image, but for me personally, I found that moments.' didn't need to apply any text.

Also this refers back to the point I made just above. The fact that you believe the absence of text isn't a positive thing is your belief, and it's totally valid, but its not mine, and I am sort of insulted that you're questioning the validity of my outlook on the piece when really you have no right to, because its just as valid as anyone else's, though you may disagree.

And, not really. I don't find it odd at all since you can still have colour without using such heavy contrasting. You can use 1 colour and still fit the theme, you could stick to no contrast and have all the colours inplemented blend in smoothly and still ahere to the theme.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023

Exactly, it was what you felt. Not him. And if I remember correctly, not all of the smoke and whisps in the finished piece were there in the stock, so moments. did actually bring a more enhanced atmospheric feel to his work, along with the smoke also.

Not necissarily imo; there are pieces which don't need text to convey a message or point or to provide depth or detail, so really by saying that "not using text is not a positive point" is being quite narrow-minded tbh. The editing moments. applied to his piece emphasised the stock well enough not to need text. I'm not saying not having text is always the way to go, and I definitely believe that in some cases text does look better and enhance an image, but for me personally, I found that moments.' didn't need to apply any text.

Also this refers back to the point I made just above. The fact that you believe the absence of text isn't a positive thing is your belief, and it's totally valid, but its not mine, and I am sort of insulted that you're questioning the validity of my outlook on the piece when really you have no right to, because its just as valid as anyone else's, though you may disagree.

And, not really. I don't find it odd at all since you can still have colour without using such heavy contrasting. You can use 1 colour and still fit the theme, you could stick to no contrast and have all the colours inplemented blend in smoothly and still ahere to the theme.
Just moving your post in here so that the thread doesn't go completely off-topic.

However, I want to avoid getting into a debate over small comments, since it will just get more heated. You've just argued with me for trying to enforce the rules of the competition. Whether you agree with my points or not my intentions still stand at the fact I'm fighting for the rules of TotF to be adhered to.

But to point something out:
"not using text is not a positive point" is being quite narrow-minded tbh.
You said that, not me, I'm trying to broaden the competition and avoid narrow-mindedness. That's what the rules are there for. To keep in mind the theme and the stock when voting. I simply felt that those things were not being done due to some of the comments I had seen. I understand if you disagree with me, but there's no harm in me simply reminding people of them if I feel that they have been forgotten.

And if you feel insulted by my comment about text, I was simply saying that it is neither a positive or negative thing to have typography in your piece. Please don't feel I was telling you that you were being wrong. And I'm definitely not snatching from your opinion.

The fact of the matter is, I'm trying to enforce the rules and inspire people to look deeper. I'm not looking for confrontation, I'm not nit-picking the finer details, and the last thing that this section and G&P should ever have is argument. It's not that kind of section. So please don't feel that me or any other member of the G&P community are trying to debate or argue with you because art and taste is too subjective to ever do so.

I hope you understand buddy, you have the right to stand up for your post of course, but I was simply trying to note something bigger than your points, which was the hope that the particular rules were still being followed.

If you do have any questions or suggestions though, feel free to say so, don't worry, G&P is one of those chill sections where even a battle is just throwing some .png's at each other 8D[/FONT]

Back