• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Too many dragons

Palantides

Village Idiot
Years
Dragon type is somewhat appropriate for a legendary pokemon, but the fact that there are a great deal of mythological creatures that are as powerful, elusive, and "legendary" as a dragon, I feel that the constant addition of them somewhat cheapens their quality.

Dragons are wicked, dragon pokemon are wicked. Now let's see something like a Griffin, or a Chimera, or maybe even some kind of Naga snake king or Gyges from Greek Myth.

Lots of stuff that could be used, and fit in an interesting way, without having to repeatedly use dragons.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I sometimes forget that Zekrom and Reshiram are infact Dragon type Pokemon, anyways

Was it a good idea to have dragon type mascots again?
Well they are the main reasons the game is called Pokemon Black and White

If you could, what type would Reshiram and Zekrom and possibly Kyurem be if not part dragon?
Maybe instead of Dragon and electric for Zekrom, maybe Dark and Electric and for Reshiram umm Fire/Normal hmm...=/

:t354:TG

Years
Dragons are cool,I don't really understand what are you complaining.. :P After all,dragons are considered as mythical and unique creatures,reality or not. :)

Jack

ego
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2020
Dragons is the most popular pokemon type in the game as far as my knowledge stretches.

So yeah i saw this one coming ever since i played my first pokemon game.

Years
I think that Zekrom and Reshiram fit their typings rather well, but I think Kyurem would fit Ghost/Dragon well but was used by Giratina, making it less likely.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I honestly don't pay attention to who the mascots may or may not be. Plus the dragons are a heck of a lot better as a mascot than whoever that generation's Pikachu-clone happens to be... I'm glad Pachihirisu and Emolga were passed over as mascots xD

So the dragons are okay, I guess.

zlip

______
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2013
I"m losing my respect toward dragon types because back in the days of Red and Blue their were only 3 dragon types and the were hard to get. Heck in johto I dont rememeber there being ANY dragon types. But now their really pushing it with Sinnoh and Unova.

I wanted to see a different typing of the main trio. The starters types would've been nice. Or a type thats underused such as poison or steel. Hopefully next gen (if there is one) we'll see a different view on legendaries. Maybe insted of being these massive creature they could be small and heal things like Shaymin.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I think other good types for Zekrom and Reshiram would have been Flying instead of Dragon, and this is based upon the event in the game where Skyla tells you about a big Pokémon she saw, flying away (Zekrom/Reshiram).

I think, like other people said, that Dragon type just has a very powerful status, but I think another good type for legendaries is Psychic.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
Years
Well, dragons always have been a part of what?.....
Legend.
So, in my opinion it makes since that they are dragon type. *Shrugs* I'd love to have more ghost type legendary dragons. That would be boss. :D

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
I think that Zekrom and Reshiram fit their typings rather well, but I think Kyurem would fit Ghost/Dragon well but was used by Giratina, making it less likely.

I don't see how a giant dragon covered in ice doesn't fit Ice type.

I like the dragons the way they are and in their numbers~

Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
I always enjoy an aesthetically pleasing Dragon type, but they were kind of pushing it with the current ones, I enjoy a pleasant type of colour to them, but these are kind of dark and sorta boring.

What I do wish they'd do is that when they make another game, hopefully DS with 3DS compatibility, 3 starters in each game with the 3 starters having all different types.

LavanZev

Bringer of Orange Soda!
Years
I have no problem with dragons, plus from Japanese aspect of it. Of which Pokémon was actually founded under. Dragons are sacred and honored in their culture. Personally I wish they could make dragons that had more style like Giratina. Sadly lets say this right now. Who hear actually looks forward to getting a Keldeo? Well here's my answer, umm no its only a pokedex filler.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I like them the way they are, if you took away the dragon typings. We would just be left with the classic Fire, Ice and Electric trio grouping that we've seen before.

If you could, what type would Reshiram and Zekrom and possibly Kyurem be if not part dragon?
Maybe instead of Dragon and electric for Zekrom, maybe Dark and Electric and for Reshiram umm Fire/Normal hmm...=/
I agree with this. The colours fit it well.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 31, 2011
When they first introduced the concept of Black and White allot of my friends, and me included had the hunch that they were going to introduce a new pokemon type e.g. Light (to go with the already existing dark type).
I think that if they added something like that it would have given gen 5 a little bit more substance.

As it is that didn't happen so saying they should be light / dark types would be kind of cheaky. What I might suggest would be fire/normal and electric/dark.

I also agree that instantly making the assumption that dragon=epic, legendary=epic therefore dragon=legendary is quite unimaginative.

Hawk.

The Hawist
Years
  • Age 29
  • PA
  • Seen May 19, 2016
I personally like the Dragon mascots. We only had 2 generations in which this has happened, Gen IV and Gen V. (And Gen III if count Rayquaza in emerald) I much rather have a Dragon-Type mascot then anything else really. Dragon-Type is just legendary, but maybe once in awhile they could mix it up a bit more. But I rather disliked the bird legendarys outside of Lugia.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
I also like Dragon legends, I think the type suits the role.
To answer your question however, maybe Reshiram and Zekrom could have been pure Fire and Electric respectively. However I can't imagine Kyurem being anything else.
I didn't really bother me that they've used dragon mascots again though.

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years
I like the way all the dragon legendaries are. I do not mind about the fact that there are too many dragons in the game. I rhink I would like them to make more dragons since dragons and flyings are the two types that fit for legend status.

Back