• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Scarlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
Scarletlogo.png

Developed in RMXP

Contents:
Part 1 – Features
Part 2 – Quick Update
Part 3 – Introduction
Part 4 – The Project Scarlet Team
Part 5 – Credits
Part 6 – The Story
Part 7 – The New Pokémon of Shiozu
Part 8 – The New Region of Shiozu
Part 9 - The Main Characters
Part 10 - Screenshots and Other Media
Part 11 - Support Us
Part 12 - Further Information
Part 13 - Want to help?

====================================
1. Features

New TMs/HMs
New items and berries
8 New Gyms and Gym Leaders
150 new Pokémon
Pokémon from other regions
New region - Shiozu
New characters
New type: Light
A visual update for most core systems
You will be able to choose between being a Male or Female (unlike the original Scarlet)

2. Quick Update
=================================
===

Check here to see the latest updates to the thread

3. Introduction

I'm sure that the name Pokémon Scarlet is a name that most of you are familiar with, as well as I assume that most of you have heard of Pokémon Iridium. My name is Minorthreat, and I am the creator of Pokémon Iridium. Not too long ago Houdoomed asked me if I would take over the reigns of Scarlet and help him by continuing his wonderful project. At first I was skeptical, Iridium was important to me, I wasn't too keen on giving it up completely. I spent many days comtemplating the prospects of the deal, and I ultimately realized, why not take what was superb about Iridium, and incorporate it in the my own version of Pokémon Scarlet. This version of Pokémon Scarlet is what you see here today.

Enough about me, lets talk about Pokémon Scarlet. Pokémon Scarlet began way back in February 2007, and has suffered the same fate as Iridium many times. We have gone through many changes and many losses, the struggles that Pokémon Scarlet has faced has only made it stronger. The project has been handed around many times to many developers, but none of them have been able to breathe life into the project. However, this time is different, we have made a lot of progress in the short few months that I have been part of the project. I look foward to your support, and I hope to have you all itching for updates by the end of this thread.

4. The Project Scarlet Team

Minorthreat - Project Coordinator, Mapper, Story Developer, Overworld Spriter, Tile Artist

Houndoomed - Project Founder

Sprite Killer - Lead Spriter, Pokémon Developer

Concore - Pokémon Developer

eebit - Pokédex Managment and Pokémon Concepts

Riceeman - Pokémon Developer, Mapper

Strelitzia - Pokémon Developer, Spriter

Yuoaman - Mapper, Story Developer

~Magma King~ - Move/Learnset and Base Stats Developer

5. Credits

Poccil - The Pokémon Essentials Starter Kit

Wichu - General Script assistance

Fangking Omega - Inspiration in game making, and the thread structure

Kyledove - His wonderful Sinnoh Tiles

Atomic_Reactor - Overworld Sprites

Esmas - Overworld Sprites

6. The Story

Pokémon Scarlet takes place 15 years before the events of Pokémon R/B/Y (even though new Pokémon feature in Shiozu, they do not appear in any other region). You play as a young Lance, who grows up to be one of the world's most famous Pokémon Masters, and one of the Kanto Elite Four. Lance's cousin, Clair, is also a character in this game. Clair grows up to be the Gym Leader of Blackthorn City Gym. Both Lance and Clair move to Blackthorn City when they are older. Pokémon Scarlet expands the history of these two characters in an exciting and new, not used before in a Pokémon game, way.

So without further ado, I present the story of Pokémon Scarlet.

----

Your name is Lance*. You live in the town of Risehome in the region of Shiozu, along with your Aunt and Uncle, and your younger cousin Clair. You have been living here for a long time, and things have always been more and less peaceful... until now.

You and your friend Giovanni are out on Route 297 and he is showing you how to battle. Giovanni has been like an older brother to you for several years, since your parents left to journey faraway lands. Giovanni was also a traveling trainer, but he would always return to Risehome Town to spend the Winter with you. But recently Giovanni took a position as assistant to Prof. Maple, who has a lab in Risehome. After Giovanni finishes your lesson he tells you to head home and that he will see you in the morning, on your birthday.

You wake up the next morning to your cousin yelling for you. She says that she was up in Steadytree Town and she saw some shady looking characters hanging around. She decided that you and her would go talk to Prof. Maple and see if you could get your first Pokémon.
You head downstairs, where your Aunt is waiting for you. She allows you to go and get your Pokémon from Prof. Maple. Once you arrive at Prof. Maple's Lab, one of her other Aides says that she and Giovanni have gone to the Dragon Shrine in the eastern part of Risehome Town, and that you should go there if you needed to see her. You and Clair make your way to see Prof. Maple and Giovanni, you ask her about getting your first Pokémon, and she says that you are in luck because she has brought three Pokémon with her. You insist that Clair chooses first, but she declines, because it is your birthday, and you should choose first. You choose first, and then Clair chooses hers.

As soon as Clair made her choice the three of you are ambushed by two shady looking characters. You and Clair use your new Pokémon to battle the two shady characters, however in the excitement of battle you and Clair fail to notice that Prof. Maple and Giovanni are now missing. You and Claire look around, but can only find Giovanni's hat, which must have fallen off when he and Prof. Maple were taken.

You and Clair rush back to your house to talk with your Aunt about what had just happened. You tell her about the horrible thing that just happened. After you tell your story you decide to check around town to see if there are any more clues to who took Giovanni and Prof. Maple. Near the entrance to Route 297 you find a note which reads: "Capture the Professor, and bring her to HQ. I will follow." It seems that this plan was orchestrated by someone, but whoever wrote the note did not sign it.
Clair comes to the conclusion that Prof. Maple must know something that these people want. You two decide that you will try to find this 'HQ' and rescue Prof. Maple. Clair says that you can still be a Pokémon Trainer at the same time. She believes that if you train your Pokémon by defeating all of the Gym Leaders in Shiozu, you would be strong enough to defeat the people who kidnapped Prof. Maple and Giovanni.
The two of you return to Clair's house and tell your Aunt your decision. She is proud of your decision to rescue Prof. Maple and Giovanni, and gives you permission to go. Your Uncle then gives you a pair of Running Shoes as a birthday gift.

And with that, you and Clair begin your quest for rescuing Prof. Maple, but with many questions, the most important being why exactly these people want Prof. Maple. What would she know that they were so desperate for that they would be willing to kidnap her? You won't know until you find this 'HQ' and rescue Prof. Maple.

* Note that you can choose any name for yourself. Lance is the default name.

7. The New Pokémon of Shiozu

Pokémon Scarlet will contain 150 brand new Pokémon native to the Shiozu region.
Our Pokédex is still being developed so this list is subject to change, and will definitely fill up.

The Pokédex
Spoiler:

8. The Region of Shiozu

ShiozuNumbered.png

The Region
This section will fill up as the towns and landmarkes are created, and properly named.
Spoiler:

The land of Shiozu is a large and populous region, known for its warm tropical climate and several attractions. But it is also well known for the many mysteries and folklore surrounding it.
For generations, there have been several tales about the Dragon Gods and the balance of Dark and Light they have provided for the region ever since it came into existance. Tragony, the Dragon of Pain and Sorrow, and Luciter, the Dragon of Peace and Harmony.
There is also an ancient tale of a legendary city that was lost to the sea centuries ago, and a Pokémon so powerful that could destroy the entire region if ever awoken that rests there - Atlantia. It is also said that it was Tragony and Luciter who caused the fall of Atlantia, and who caused the lost city to be plummetted to the bottom of the sea in the first place all those centuries ago, solely to prevent Atlantia from destroying the region. And surely, if Atlantia was ever awoken from its ancient slumber, all hope would indeed be lost.
Are these legends true? Or simply just myth...?

9. The Main Characters

LanceClair.png

Lance & Clair
The Hero and the Heroine
Prof. Maple
Maple2-2.png

Top Pokémon Professor in Shiozu
Lance's Neighbor
Give Lance his first Pokémon

The Gym Leaders

Shelley
Gym Leader Of Marshspring City
Uses Bug Types

Boris
Gym Leader Of ???
Uses Normal Types

Amelia
Gym Leader of ???
Uses Flying Types

Charlie
Gym Leader of ???
Uses Fire Types

Caspian
Gym Leader of ???
Uses Water Types

Ms. Demina
Gym Leader of ???
Uses Ghost Types

Clint
Gym Leader of ???
Uses Rock Types

Sunni
Gym Leader of ???
Uses Light Types

10. Screenshots and Other Media

*All screenshots are from a test build of the game, and are subject to change

Lets start with some screens from the systems of Pokémon Scarlet

The Pokémon Selection Menu
capture003-5.png

The Trainer Card
capture007.png

The Battle System
capture006.png
capture005-1.png

Thats it for system screens right now, keep an eye out for more though!
Now lets go for some normal screens!

The Introduction
capture002-5.png
capture004-3.png

A few overworld/story screens
capture008.png
capture009.png

capture001-6.png
capture000-7.png

11. Support Us

COMING SOON

12. Further Information

For further information join us at our forums, the link is in my signature.

13. Want to help?

We are currently looking for a spriter who can help us sprite Trainers in DP style, and a Talented RGSS scripter.

Thanks to everyone for their endless support. We'd be nowhere without you. I hope you enjoy the game!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
This is great man!
everything is looking awesome.
good luck!
i really like your storyline.
The concepts look great too, can't wait to see them finished.

Last edited:

ryushin5

In College YAY! :3
Years
Cool the new thread is up, well I have to say the storyline is great the sprites are awesome and I love the screenshots, can't wait to see more.

HeavyOctillery

Locked & Loaded
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2018
Looks & sounds even better than the first go. ^_^

I'd stick with the original rendition of Ruffbrandt, though.

Atomic Reactor

Awesome man, I'm glad you got the thread up :P
Everything looks great... except i think lances backsprite looks odd. His hair is to spiky..
But yeah, good luck everyone :P

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
The game.

Looks very promising and I like the idea regarding Giovanni being your friend.
Presuming Giovanni is the Team Rocket Leader?
Or I could be barking up the wrong tree XD
Still, I like the idea :)
Good luck.
And I don't want an official job at spriting but I'm pretty good at pixel art so if you need anything doing give me a shout (:.

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
Everything looks great... except i think lances backsprite looks odd. His hair is to spiky..

Well, as soon as Sprite Killer gets out of school, she said she was going to redo the concept of lance, so I'm pretty sure a new back sprite would be included in the redesign. :)

Looks very promising and I like the idea regarding Giovanni being your friend.
Presuming Giovanni is the Team Rocket Leader?
Or I could be barking up the wrong tree XD
Still, I like the idea :)
Good luck.
And I don't want an official job at spriting but I'm pretty good at pixel art so if you need anything doing give me a shout (:.

No that is the right tree, this is the same Giovanni as the Team Rocket leader... but we'll see how long he stays your friend..
Looks & sounds even better than the first go. ^_^

I'd stick with the original rendition of Ruffbrandt, though.

We'll Concore didn't like the original, and to be perfectly honest, I don't feel that it looked like a Smergel evolution enough, it looked too much like a dog (Yes I know smergel is a dog pokemon, but the old Rurrbrandt looked too much like a dog). So I think that this Ruffbrandt will be staying, plus it will surely look a lot cooler after Sprite Killer pounds out the sprite!

Thanks for the comments everyone, its fuel for the Scarlet fire. :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
...Hey, remember when boldcommenting was in fashion? Well, now that I have a full storyline to look at here, I feel like it needs a little critique. Do you mind if I do? (actually you don't really have a choice ;D)

Your name is Lance*. You live in the town of Risehome I'm willing to bet it's small in the region of Shiozu, along with your Aunt and Uncle, and your younger cousin Clair Seeing as we're talking the Dragon leaders here... I thought her name was Claire? Also this kills any sort of romantic subplot... not that that's a bad thing, exactly. You have been living here for a long time 10 years xD, and things have always been more and less peaceful... until now.

You and your friend Giovanni That's strange, I thought Giovanni was in his 40s while Lance was 20-something are out on Route 297 and he is showing you how to battle The player already knows how to battle!. Giovanni has been like an older brother to you for several years, since your parents left to journey faraway lands Parents are such a cumbersome plot element. You'd win awesome points if they returned at some point. Giovanni was also a traveling trainer, but he would always return to Risehome Town to spend the Winter with you. But recently Giovanni took a position as assistant to Prof. Maple *shakes head*, who has a lab in Risehome. After Giovanni finishes your lesson he tells you to head home and that he will see you in the morning, on your birthday. ASDJKL; BRITHDAYS. GUH. WHY IS IT ALWAYS YOUR BIRTHDAY

You wake up the next morning to your cousin yelling for you. She says that she was up in Steadytree Town xD; and she saw some shady looking characters Here's a hint: they're Team Rocket hanging around. She decided that you and her would go talk to Prof. Maple and see if you could get your first Pokémon. Why would she give a Pokemon to some random kid she doesn't know? Even if it is his birthday?
You head downstairs, where your Aunt is waiting for you. She allows you to go and get your Pokémon from Prof. Maple. Once you arrive at Prof. Maple's Lab, one of her other Aides says that she and Giovanni have gone to the Dragon Shrine in the eastern part of Risehome Town, and that you should go there if you needed to see her. You and Clair make your way to see Prof. Maple and Giovanni, you ask her about getting your first Pokémon, and she says that you are in luck because she has brought three Pokémon with her. You insist that Clair chooses first, but she declines, because it is your birthday, and you should choose first. lol. what a cheater. You choose first, and then Clair chooses hers.

As soon as Clair made her choice the three of you are ambushed by two shady looking characters teamrocket. You and Clair use your new Pokémon to battle the two shady characters, however in the excitement of battle you and Clair fail to notice that Prof. Maple and Giovanni are now missing. I propose we put a GPS on every professor in the world! That way they can't be kidnapped! You and Claire look around, but can only find Giovanni's hat Giovanni, um, doesn't wear a hat ._. , which must have fallen off when he and Prof. Maple were taken.

You and Clair rush back to your house to talk with your Aunt about what had just happened. You tell her about the horrible thing that just happened. After you tell your story you decide to check around town to see if there are any more clues to who took Giovanni and Prof. Maple. Near the entrance to Route 297 you find a note which reads: "Capture the Professor, and bring her to HQ. I will follow." rgbl. She's just a professor. Come on people. Also, THIS IS THE MOST ABUSED PLOT ELEMENT ON FANGAMES AFTER BIRTHDAYS RRRRGHBLDFFFFF It seems that this plan was orchestrated by someoneteamrocket, but whoever wrote the note did not sign it. They're not idiots.
Clair comes to the conclusion that Prof. Maple must know something that these people want. You two decide that you will try to find this 'HQ' and rescue Prof. Maple. Why can't they, say, call the police? Clair says that you can still be a Pokémon Trainer at the same time. She believes that if you train your Pokémon by defeating all of the Gym Leaders in Shiozu, you would be strong enough to defeat the people who kidnapped Prof. Maple and Giovanni. That... is one of the lamest excuses for undertaking an adventure I've ever heard. Sorry. :/ Especially because she's some woman Lance has never met before.
The two of you return to Clair's house and tell your Aunt your decision. She is proud of your decision to rescue Prof. Maple and Giovanni, and gives you permission to go Gee, what a responsible parent <<. Your Uncle then gives you a pair of Running Shoes as a birthday gift.

And with that, you and Clair begin your quest for rescuing Prof. Maple, but with many questions, the most important being why exactly these people want Prof. Maple. Do YOU, as the developer, know? What would she know that they were so desperate for that they would be willing to kidnap her? You won't know until you find this 'HQ' and rescue Prof. Maple.

* Note that you can choose any name for yourself. Lance is the default name. This entire plot preview is written in the context of playing as Lance. But what if you play as Clair(e)?

...This is dry. And monotonous. The characters are generic and don't appear to have personalities, and the plot is copypasted from every other fangame on the face of the earth. I can see where it's going: Professor knows about plot element which is key to accessing region legendary, who TR desires to awaken and control. Please. Spare me the pain and throw in some plot twists, or tweak the characters and give them some development, or take a course in cliche avoidance. You've got a lot of experience under your belt, and it doesn't really take that long to rethink some of the plot. Since you can't have more than the first few towns and routes mapped and the first events scripted, it's not too late to change stuff around.

I'm sorry I couldn't sugarcoat this, but I figured you deserved to hear what was on my mind. This project is auspicious-- in its third? incarnation, and with all these cool Fakemon-- so you've got to bring the plot up to par as well and stop perpetuating clicheity.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
ZephyrPlusle said:
Your name is Lance*. You live in the town of Risehome I'm willing to bet it's small in the region of Shiozu, along with your Aunt and Uncle, and your younger cousin Clair Seeing as we're talking the Dragon leaders here... I thought her name was Claire? Also this kills any sort of romantic subplot... not that that's a bad thing, exactly. You have been living here for a long time 10 years xD *Actually 14 or 15...*, and things have always been more and less peaceful... until now.

You and your friend Giovanni That's strange, I thought Giovanni was in his 40s while Lance was 20-something *Lance, at this time is about 15 and Giovanni about 18-19.* are out on Route 297 and he is showing you how to battle The player already knows how to battle!. Giovanni has been like an older brother to you for several years, since your parents left to journey faraway lands Parents are such a cumbersome plot element. You'd win awesome points if they returned at some point *Don't worry, we have plans for the parents...*. Giovanni was also a traveling trainer, but he would always return to Risehome Town to spend the Winter with you. But recently Giovanni took a position as assistant to Prof. Maple *shakes head*, who has a lab in Risehome. After Giovanni finishes your lesson he tells you to head home and that he will see you in the morning, on your birthday. ASDJKL; BRITHDAYS. GUH. WHY IS IT ALWAYS YOUR BIRTHDAY

You wake up the next morning to your cousin yelling for you. She says that she was up in Steadytree Town xD; and she saw some shady looking characters Here's a hint: they're Team Rocket *You'd assume that, wouldn't you?* hanging around. She decided that you and her would go talk to Prof. Maple and see if you could get your first Pokémon. Why would she give a Pokemon to some random kid she doesn't know? Even if it is his birthday? *Why wouldn't they know each other? They've been neigbors for years...*
You head downstairs, where your Aunt is waiting for you. She allows you to go and get your Pokémon from Prof. Maple. Once you arrive at Prof. Maple's Lab, one of her other Aides says that she and Giovanni have gone to the Dragon Shrine in the eastern part of Risehome Town, and that you should go there if you needed to see her. You and Clair make your way to see Prof. Maple and Giovanni, you ask her about getting your first Pokémon, and she says that you are in luck because she has brought three Pokémon with her. You insist that Clair chooses first, but she declines, because it is your birthday, and you should choose first. lol. what a cheater. You choose first, and then Clair chooses hers.

As soon as Clair made her choice the three of you are ambushed by two shady looking characters teamrocket. You and Clair use your new Pokémon to battle the two shady characters, however in the excitement of battle you and Clair fail to notice that Prof. Maple and Giovanni are now missing. I propose we put a GPS on every professor in the world That way they can't be kidnapped! You and Claire look around, but can only find Giovanni's hat Giovanni, um, doesn't wear a hat ._. *He will... oh he will...* , which must have fallen off when he and Prof. Maple were taken.

You and Clair rush back to your house to talk with your Aunt about what had just happened. You tell her about the horrible thing that just happened. After you tell your story you decide to check around town to see if there are any more clues to who took Giovanni and Prof. Maple. Near the entrance to Route 297 you find a note which reads: "Capture the Professor, and bring her to HQ. I will follow." rgbl. She's just a professor. Come on people. Also, THIS IS THE MOST ABUSED PLOT ELEMENT ON FANGAMES AFTER BIRTHDAYS RRRRGHBLDFFFFF *I'm pretty sure that Scarlet used this before it became so commonplace* It seems that this plan was orchestrated by someoneteamrocket *Again. You and your conclusions...*, but whoever wrote the note did not sign it. They're not idiots. *What did I say about conclusions!?*
Clair comes to the conclusion that Prof. Maple must know something that these people want. You two decide that you will try to find this 'HQ' and rescue Prof. Maple. Why can't they, say, call the police? *Who's going to believe two teenagers reporting that their neighbor was kidnapped?* Clair says that you can still be a Pokémon Trainer at the same time. She believes that if you train your Pokémon by defeating all of the Gym Leaders in Shiozu, you would be strong enough to defeat the people who kidnapped Prof. Maple and Giovanni. That... is one of the lamest excuses for undertaking an adventure I've ever heard. Sorry. :/ Especially because she's some woman Lance has never met before *Again... the lab is in THEIR town, meaning they are neighbors, do you not know your neighbors or what?*.

The two of you return to Clair's house and tell your Aunt your decision. She is proud of your decision to rescue Prof. Maple and Giovanni, and gives you permission to go Gee, what a responsible parent << *They were probably going to be going anyway... and at least they didn't let them go when they were ten...*. Your Uncle then gives you a pair of Running Shoes as a birthday gift.

And with that, you and Clair begin your quest for rescuing Prof. Maple, but with many questions, the most important being why exactly these people want Prof. Maple. Do YOU, as the developer, know? *I should very well hope we do* What would she know that they were so desperate for that they would be willing to kidnap her? You won't know until you find this 'HQ' and rescue Prof. Maple.

* Note that you can choose any name for yourself. Lance is the default name. This entire plot preview is written in the context of playing as Lance. But what if you play as Clair(e)? *We haven't decided if we will have Clair as a playable character, that might mess up the story*

I critiqued your critique. My comments are between the '*'s.

And nice to finally see the thread up Minorthreat.

Doxasikyrie

ハリストス復活!? ??に復活!
Years
Looks very good Minorthreat. Looking forward to seeing more screenshots and information in the future. If you're in need of another mapper, feel free to let me know.

Regards,
Doxasikyrie

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Cool, your making Clair a playable character this time. Sorry I conplained before about playing Lance. I figured that it really didn't matter cause I play Ash on the Pokemon Hall of Fame game with no problems at all.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
I critiqued your critique. My comments are between the '*'s.

And nice to finally see the thread up Minorthreat.

...Can't you just accept my critique instead of deflecting it? :/ You're coming up with petty excuses when you should be accepting what I say as criticism and working on fixing the flaws. (also it would help if your responses were, say, in another color, just for aesthetics' sake)

Triple boldcomments are a pain so I'll make a list instead:

-I don't know my neighbors all that well; especially if they were some older lady in a lab coat, I probably wouldn't talk to them at all. Y'know what would work? The player has an internship at her lab, and has been working to learn to become a Pokemon trainer. Why? Well, that's up to you.

-I assume that it's Team Rocket because I know there's a team and Giovanni is there; Saying "lol no its Neo Team Rocket" is absurd and you're just avoiding the fact that I'm pointing out a very obvious secret that you shouldn't be going out of your way to hide in the first place.

-You know, official Pokemon games used it before you did, I'm sure; Pokemon XD comes to mind, but there's probably others. Also, just because you were "first" doesn't mean you have to stand by it resolutely.

-"Who's going to believe two teenagers reporting that their neighbor was kidnapped?" I'd better hope they believe 'em, and they will when they show up at the lab and can't find the professor anywhere. Otherwise you've got the most inefficient police ever... or, idea! The police are actually under Team Rocket's control! And at some point the player has to infiltrate the police HQ and liberate them, and then they help the player (who by then is stronger than any policeman) attack the Rocket HQ. Fun!

-My mom probably wouldn't let me leave on an advenchurr and I'm 15. These people have some seriously lax morals.

-And yet you put "play as a girl" as one of your features :/ Can you make up your mind?

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
Okay, Okay okay. Lets stop the fighting...Your point have been noted ZephyrPlusle, and they will definitely be considered in while we rewrite the story line...Yes it is Team Rocket, there is no denying of that, we aren't trying to keep it a secret from the player, its a secret from Lance/Clair.

Prof. Maple is not old, she is probably about 28-29 I would say, so she isn't some crazy person running around Risehome Town. XD She also happens to be a family friend of Lance's aunt and uncle, so that is how Lance and her know one another.

As for the kidnapping cliche that can easily be overcome by developing the story further...and trust me we are working on that everyday.

Oh and to assume that just because Giovanni is there that Team rocket is there isn't a good assumption. Yes Team Rocket is part of the game, but I wouldn't go assuming that Giovanni is the mastermind behind everything just yet...XD

Correct the people do have poor morals in Pokemon games, but thats nothing new, they have always been like that, and to be honest, our morals are a little better off than most pokemon games. Not to mention the pokemon world is pretty safe compared to our world, there are no rapes or killings, the gangs that are in the Pokemon world do nothing productive (well except for the Team Rocket in Scarlet XD) so overall its a much safe society than the true world, so there is less need for the parent to forbid things in the Pokemon world than in the real world.

Playing as a girl was my decision and I guess Yuoaman missed the post on our forums, but yes, the story events will be tweaked slightly to accommodate playing as Clair.

Now there is nothing wrong with defending our story or critiquing it, but lets not argue about it...its not a good way to start a new thread. XD

Yuoaman

Years
You shouldn't make assumptions, you don't know what happens over the next fifteen years (time between Scarlet and RBY), the world is a very different place than what it will become.

EDIT: I guess I missed that meeting Minorthreat XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I'd like to start off by saying the new thread looks really, really great. Job well done Minorthreat! ;)
But I also think you should include the normal sized, numberless region map, and the town maps. But so far, everything else is looking spectacular! :)

Oh yeah, just something I wanted to point out.

The character overworlds in the screenshots are just temporaries until we get the final ones. The Lance and Clair trainer sprites are also set to be changed.

...Hey, remember when boldcommenting was in fashion? Well, now that I have a full storyline to look at here, I feel like it needs a little critique. Do you mind if I do? (actually you don't really have a choice ;D)

...This is dry. And monotonous. The characters are generic and don't appear to have personalities, and the plot is copypasted from every other fangame on the face of the earth. I can see where it's going: Professor knows about plot element which is key to accessing region legendary, who TR desires to awaken and control. Please. Spare me the pain and throw in some plot twists, or tweak the characters and give them some development, or take a course in cliche avoidance. You've got a lot of experience under your belt, and it doesn't really take that long to rethink some of the plot. Since you can't have more than the first few towns and routes mapped and the first events scripted, it's not too late to change stuff around.

I'm sorry I couldn't sugarcoat this, but I figured you deserved to hear what was on my mind. This project is auspicious-- in its third? incarnation, and with all these cool Fakemon-- so you've got to bring the plot up to par as well and stop perpetuating clicheity.

I understand you're intentions are to help improve the plot, ZephyrPlusle, but I think you're trying to be a bit too overcritical.

First of all, I don't have sufficient time to make this a proper reply as I've got to get going somewhere, but there's just a few things I'd like to point out.

First thing I notice is you're remark "I bet it's small" after the sentence "You live in the town of Risehome". I don't think that was very helpful. And you can't just jump to conclusions without even seeing any evidence.
Also, her name actually is Clair. Again, you seem to be just jumping to your own conclusions.

While you're critisism is greatly appreciated, there's a way of critiquing without actually coming off as rather rude. This project has just very recently been taken over by somebody else and several things have changed already. We are still in the early stages of development, so you've got to expect a lot of things that are still unpolished. We can't just make a brand new start and make everything perfect.

Again, I only got to read through a small portion of your post, and if you want me to give a full reply, I'll do so :)
Edit: Also, I just wanted to add: It's just a game. A Pokémon game. And everyone knows how silly and childish Pokémon games are. Scarlet is actually a lot more serious than any other Nintendo Pokémon game, and while I know it would be best to make it a lot more serious, we still feel its best to make it feel like one of Nintendo's Pokémon games. That is; more serious that Nintendo, but not overdoing it either.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen May 10, 2021
Children we don't want another Malachite episode =)
Let's just drop it.
Minor doesn't need it

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Blazers, you're right. There's no point in continuing this, we should just let it go ;)
But still, I just wanted to make my point.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
(oh, no, not her again. please just make her stop posting in this thread. doesnt she have anything better to do?)

Thanks for responding in an orderly manner, Minorthreat-- that was exactly what a game developer should do. Kudos. :3 The rest of you are running around like headless chickens, though, just because I pointed out plot holes; yes, my review was saturated with sarcasm, but really, for a project that's been worked on for this long, I'm thinking you should probably be used to it. :/

...And really, would you rather have noob after mindless noob tromping into the thread, showering you with praise? Just because I decided to actually post some in-depth critique for once-- and note that I wasn't just bashing it, I suggested ways to improve it and everything-- you immediately tag it as flaming, and gang up and vehemently deny any accusations I make. You must have not gotten much criticism before this, if it's such a shock.

blah blah nag nag whine whine sorry I got this all over your first page. (What an eyecatch! xD) Keep up the good work Minorthreat, and don't think of me as hostile-- I don't hate you guys or anything. Just consider what I'm saying for a bit. ._. Don't dismiss it as flaming, but simply consider it and maybe do some analysis of your plot yourselves and I'll leave you be.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Remember that fan games don't have to follow the official timeline and event line of the Gamefreak games.
As a reader, unless the game developer states it, you should assume this is the developers universe and breaking off from the official games. So while pointing out plot holes is essential to help the developer develop the story, making comments that reference any of the gamefreak series is pointless.

I find that most developers, myself included, use characters from the Pokémon universe to help the player have a notion of the back story and motive of that character (like Giovanni).

Yuoaman

Years
Double post XD

And we are (at the moment at least) planning on having Scarlet take place 15 years before RBY in the games chronology, making it somewhat a prequel to the original games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back