• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen did anyone else think marlon was and is a moron

what do you think of marlon

• marlon is super great leave him alone

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • marlon is alright

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • marlon is annoying but not bad

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • i strongly feel marlon is lame

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Marlon is definitely not one of the best gym leaders, but he's definitely not one of the worst. For me, he's in-between. His personality was laid back yes, but that's how he was designed to be.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
To me, he's not exactly the most memorable gym leader but he isn't bad. I've never really hated a gym leader before, I either like them or I'm pretty neutral about them.

The only gym leader I can say I "dislike" (and that's a stretch saying that) is Elesa in BW, I thought it was pretty arrogant of her to step in on Bianca and her dad's little feud in Nimbasa. And gurl got weave, nobody grows like 3-4 feet of hair in two years.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Marlon is awesome. idk how you can make a thread like this and not even lead it off with any good examples...seems a bit lackluster to me, but whatever. I have no problems with Marlon. He seems like a cool dude.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I'll be the minority that doesn't quite understand why people dislike him so much. /shrugs.

I mean, he helps you out regardless, right? I don't see any bad things about him, even dialogue-wise. He lives in a small, isolated island that Team Plasma hasn't even so much has touched, so there's no reason for Marlon to be an expert on them or anything, because he hasn't even heard of them until the player arrives.

He lowered the ladder for you to get on to Team Plasma's ship, and then he went back home to continue surfing/swimming/whatever cool things Marlon does. Didn't bother me a bit.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I love Marlon. He's so great and I love how he isn't like everyone else is feels obliged to help out because Team Plasma is a terrible group. Sure, they are, but he doesn't have any reason to hate them. They haven't done anything specifically to him so he doesn't have any reason to him. It's the sad truth, but that's how a lot of people are these days. Sure, might be consider selfish, but in a way it's also realistic. Sometimes, people do need a reason in order to get involved. Especially something like that. So what.

And as what was mentioned before; he does help you out. He just doesn't take the time to beat them up or anything.

Also how he speaks is awesome too. Everyone who thinks otherwise get out.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Marlon is an okay guy I suppose, but what I actually found really annoying was the music for his gym and city.I do agree with you that the town does resemble pacifiglog town a bit due to the structure of the homes. The only two things I enjoyed about Marlon to be honest is the way the gym was created and his battle entrance.

:t354:TG

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I don't really like his personality, however I might have liked it in a different situation; Had he been implemented early on, as say, the third or forth gym leader, his attitude would have been cool to me. Unfortunately the main problem I see is that he's the last gym leader. This individual replaced Dryden as the final gym leader in Unova, and I frankly think that to by a little lame

You find your self approaching the climax of the game, and come in contact with Dryden, an very professional, competent individual who in the first game led the other leaders in assisting you at N's castle. Not to spoil the ending of BW2, but at this point there's some pretty crazy stuff going down, and you expect someone capable and willing to assist you in saving the day. You might expect someone like Clair; Capable and willing to do her job, or Volkner; Powerful, but bored and looking for a challenge, or even a Giovanni, as an antagonist.

Then you meet Marlon, who's just kinda there, completely ignorant of the situation. He helps eventually, but not because he cares, more because he happens to be there.

I don't know, I think the final gym leader should posses some sort of sense or resposibility, not just tough pokemon. Mind you I didn't actually think anything of it untill I had read this thread

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
He seems complex too me. He has an unassuming general disposition, yet he is inquisitive as he asks you why your reason is that you fight and are you doing it for the right reasons or because someone told you to? What I don't get though is "Listen, 'K. Believe in somethin'! Searchin' for stolen Pokémon is fine! Keepin' Unova from bein' iced over's fine too! It's all good. But think 'bout why you're doin' that. The strength of your beliefs is what gives you and your Pokémon power! I made some noise, so some people came out! Hey, be careful, 'K!" Did he hear all that from Hugh or did he actually see reports on it? That's one thing if he is out of touch which "Sup yo! What's this Team Plasma you're talking about do?" comment leaves me to believe he heard all this from Hugh(don't remember the convo). If that's the case than Marlon is a good character to have at this point to balance out your revenge lusting friend Hugh that is bent on bringing Plasma down at any cost. Now if he heard Opelucid was being frozen over on a news cast than I would be a little miffed that he was not real willing to be more confronting on Plasma.

Years
Marlon? Bad? Annoying? Y'all must be on something cray, because he's so legit. I love Marlon. He's a lot like I am, tbh. Plasma did nothing wrong to him or his town, so he doesn't find a need to step in. However, he sees that the player wishes to fight, but sees the player's only reasoning is, "Because I have to", and warns him to gain a better reason to do so other than, "It's the right thing to do." Such as why it is the right thing to do. Why MUST you fight a battle that was never yours to fight? Marlon's character is much deeper than the anti-Marlon groups have come to make him out to be. His dialogue isn't some black and white one-meaning statement, it has a deeper meaning to it.

"It's not my style to go around decidin' Team Plasma's bad without thinkin' 'bout it just 'cause everyone says so!" We always say we must make our own judgments based on what we experience, rather than what we see or hear. Yet when a fictional character says it, it somehow becomes stupid and annoying? He just found his role to be the voice of reason, not to be the one on the front line. If you ask me, it's about time we finally have a character like that.

This. I totally agree...honestly, it's a bit weird that there's a "Marlon sucks" thread. I live in Austin, TX (been here for the past year and a half) and it's very laid back here. People don't really jump to conclusions about others and get all crazy like. I mean, his "weird tan" and his accent? That sounds kinda messed up. He's obviously supposed to be a laid back islander, like the way typical Hawaiians are, or hippies.

People who aren't so gung-ho about fighting are able to take a moment and look at a situation rationally.

His attitude towards Team Plasma is because he is either new to the Unova region (as Humilau has only recently opened up) and doesn't know much about them or what they did in the past. Who knows, he might actually be from Pacifidlog and only has experience with Teams Magma/Aqua.

And yeah they did messed up stuff, but throughout the game you can see the overarching theme is one of "things AREN'T always black and white." His attitude towards Team Plasma IMO doesn't seem reason enough to hate him or think he's a jerk. He's just a character that is trying to offer a different perspective on things, and to avoid groupthink.

Years
Well, I didn't really care for the way that he said that he didn't have a problem with Team Plasma because they didn't do anything to him or the city that he lived in, but I understand that he was meant to be a laid back type of guy. I won't say that I hated him, but I really didn't care for him, or the gym.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I love Marlon! His design is unique and his personality is great. The way he speaks makes me smile ("Now you can be tight with any Pokemon!"), and the things he talks about very interesting. He really is the definition of laid-back. And is that such a bad thing? It might seem bad that he doesn't want to stop Team Plasma, but if your neighbors are in a war, do you really have to get involved?

And there's also his Gym Helper, who instead of congratulating you on your victory, simply says, "Marlon's swimming again, isn't he? -_-" He's just great!

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2013
I'm fine with him, but I find him a lil too laidback for a gym leader or maybe it's just me.
YAY FOR WATER TYPED GYMS~ <3

Years
Whenever you go to his gym and talk to him, he finishes up by jumping into the water behind him and swimming away.

...I wonder where he goes? *conspiracy*

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Haha I thought that Marlon was okay. Some of his phrases were lame but he was helpful in activating the bridge and helped you in defeating Team Plasma on their ship so that wasn't bad about him. Overall, I thought that he gym was insanely easy, I just swept his entire team with my powerful ampharos helping him to level up considerably. Overall, I thought that Marlon was okay and not super lame haha.

Back