• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blue hack: Pokemon Wood

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019

Pokemon Wood

coverwood.png

Hack of: Pokemon Blue

Introduction:
Hi, I'm Sawakita and this is my first hack.

Storyline:
The story is set in a region called Durma; it's heavily forested and towns are separated each others by woods and caves, that are inhabited by creatures called Pokemon.
This region is bureaucratically organized in Prefectures that accentuate those divisions.
You live in an almost forgotten village, located on the borders of Durma; your family is poor and often is unable to pay unbearable and unfair taxes. So one day, governor's envoy come to arrest your parents, all happening in front of you helpless presence.
That day a spirit of revenge begins burning inside you, and you leave your hometown to conquer the social redress that you deserve.

Features:
* A new storyline
* A new region (new cities, new routes, new caves);
* Durma has its own Pokedex, with Pokemon taken from generation 1, 2, 3 and 4;
* New battle sprites, taken from all the four generations, for pokemon and trainers;
* Also backsprites are no longer "grainy";
* New trainer types (devamped from newer versions);
* New events;
* New scripts, completely re-written from scratch;
* Real Time Clock, including week days (some events will depends on the time);
* ASM work;

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Videos:
Spoiler:

Programs used:
* HexWorkshop, a hex editor;
* Hexeccute, another hex editor;
* WoodMap (a program for mapping and repetitive tasks, programmed by me with the help of Darthatron);
* TLP, graphics;
* BGB, a debugger to check if ASM routines work fine;
* RGBDS, an assembler;

Public Releases:
None yet.

Special thanks:
IIMarckus, for his "disassembly base", and for answering all my questions when I wasn't self-sufficient, and allowing me being what I am now;
Mateo, for the 'Skeetendo forum' and its logo design;
SkeetendoBoard, for being "brainly stimulating";
Tauwasser, again for helping me figuring out things;
Ubitux, for moral support;

And I think that's all.

Last edited:
Years
You should add a "Software Used" section so people can know what you used to start this fun game.

I'll be the one to tell you what would be wrong with that.
GB hacking is so much more complex than GBA, that there is so little software/tools for editing them that people generally just use Hex Editors and ASM. Simple as that.
Now, it's nice to see a GB hack that has apparent potential- obviously you'll have to do a lot, what with Brown overshadowing all GB hacks (pretty much), but I think you know what you're doing, so I expect good things :)

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
This hack looks sweet. The sprites are awesome though I'm not too much of a fan of the hero backsprite (the color look soff to me) good luck on this and I hope to see some more screenshots

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Nice to see GB hack around. Looks good, keep up the good work :) Interesting story too, cant wait to play.

matt steel

some randomer...
Years
Havnt played a GB hack in a while il look forward to it xD
Also how long do you plan on making it (Storyline wise) as i like long games

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
This hack looks sweet. The sprites are awesome though I'm not too much of a fan of the hero backsprite (the color look soff to me) good luck on this and I hope to see some more screenshots

Actually I decided that I don't like HGSS hero, so I changed it to Silver "rival" (that may cause plot's updates as well..)

75108045.png
72463343.png

Havnt played a GB hack in a while il look forward to it xD
Also how long do you plan on making it (Storyline wise) as i like long games

The story is going to be not too wry and not too linear, since I don't want to be bored, neither I want to be annoyed with a "billion-times-branched" plot, while I'm playing it; although, there are going to be sub-features, commonly called "sub-mission", that will add something to the game enjoyment.
I'm not anticipating anything, except this example: the events, where people used to trade pokemon with you during the game, will be rewritten for suiting different needs (pretty cryptic, isn't it?).

As for the hack progress, I have to say that I'm a little stuck with a script I am building, so progress is pretty low, but on the go.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
A Blue hack... You don't see these very often... Let's review it then. :D

Your first hack is a Blue hack? That's the first I heard of it. xDD Joking, but good luck on that. :P So this region is heavily forested... Maybe the reason it's called Pokemon Wood...? ;) And so at the end of the story, you want to avenge your parents... Sounds like you're an evil person then. XD

I like your set of features. Especially when you included sprites from newer generations. And the ASM the hack will have. :) And your screenshots look pretty decent, don't seem to see anything wrong with them.

Good luck on this GB hack. It seems to look really good, and I hope you keep up with it~ n___n

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I like the way you decided to put Silver as the hero but there is a minor problem though; in the title screen, Silver is a guy but then again, when you battle with him, he looks like a little kid :D

Anyways, all in all, this hack is just superb !
Great job done with it :)

rosebunny

Beta/Grammar Tester - Dr.Rose
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 14, 2013
I saw this in your signature on Skeetendo. I thought it was just a little mockup. Glad you're making it. I like the idea of another gb hack as you don't see many nowadays

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Small update, corrected player's OW:

72698041.png
90418108.png
78497421.png
44153596.png

A Blue hack... You don't see these very often... Let's review it then. :D

Your first hack is a Blue hack? That's the first I heard of it. xDD Joking, but good luck on that. :P So this region is heavily forested... Maybe the reason it's called Pokemon Wood...? ;) And so at the end of the story, you want to avenge your parents... Sounds like you're an evil person then. XD
Well, he's Silver, after all. ;)

I like your set of features. Especially when you included sprites from newer generations. And the ASM the hack will have. :) And your screenshots look pretty decent, don't seem to see anything wrong with them.

Good luck on this GB hack. It seems to look really good, and I hope you keep up with it~ n___n
Thanks. Next update's screens will probably bring edited tilesets (from GSC).

I love GB/GBC hack! especially the one that have pokemon from other generation, anyway what's the mascot pokemon?
Leafeon's going to be the mascot. Although I'm not planning to put it as starter (as 1st-gen tradition would suggest)

I like the way you decided to put Silver as the hero but there is a minor problem though; in the title screen, Silver is a guy but then again, when you battle with him, he looks like a little kid :D
Do you mean that backsprite looks younger than frontsprite? They look fine to me.

Anyways, all in all, this hack is just superb !
Great job done with it :)
Thank you.

I saw this in your signature on Skeetendo. I thought it was just a little mockup. Glad you're making it. I like the idea of another gb hack as you don't see many nowadays
What do you mean with mockup? Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
Years
Wow, lovely work, I must say.

I love the story. It's short, but it's good enough for me. I also like the screenshots. Very nice work. I'll keep an eye out for updates on this~

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years

Well,it's very good to see another GB hack here. I dunno why,but i always loved them. This one looks like it was put a lot of effort in it,with good results. =D
The Pokemon are really nicely inserted,they look great on GB standards.
Good luck!
PS: Is Durma based on Burma? O_o That's the first thing that came into my mind when seeing the region name...

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Ahh, this hack made me remember the first thing that made me want to ROM hack; messing with the old blue ROM. xD
Anyways, good luck with this! This is surely a great hack with potential. It might even compete with Brown. xD

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Some news:
I'm re-assembling all the changes I've done in this hack on a .asm file, apart from the ROM, which include my ASM routines living in their "textual way", the modified graphics splitted in their own "raw" files, as well as "raw" maps. This allows me to have much more control on the entire project. That's why the hack is going to have a little "slowdown" to accomplish this re-organization: but once this is done the project will have its speed boosted up.

In the meantime I've done this boxart (not too good so far, but I still like it, it has a sort of "retro" style):

coverwood.png

Well,it's very good to see another GB hack here. I dunno why,but i always loved them. This one looks like it was put a lot of effort in it,with good results. =D
The Pokemon are really nicely inserted,they look great on GB standards.
Good luck!
PS: Is Durma based on Burma? O_o That's the first thing that came into my mind when seeing the region name...
Thank you, in fact I'm really working hard on this hack.
Actually Durma is a distortion of an italian word ("durame") that means "heartwood", i.e. the most consolidated part of a tree's trunk.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
Nice to see a GB hack on here. I hope you enjoy working on it. I be following with the support bar on my sig and wishing you good luck

Back