• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Hm, by the looks of it, that's probably true \: The concept still seems interesting to me though, so I'll satisfy myself with watching streams for now.
Yeah, the concept's the best thing about it, but when you're not on missions, there's not really much to do except a few sidequest types and some minigames. Of course, you can make fun, but the real fun, as far as I am, is in the missions, because you can really exhaust the fun of Chicago by just doing whatever. Missions like car chases and firefights are there, but I've found that the game is most fun when you're doing things like stealth missions or, in the case of firefights, when you use cameras and the environment to take out enemies. Not too mention that Chicago is beautiful in Watch_Dogs.

But, again, I can't really say that that's enough to warrant a $60 purchase out of it unless you're easily entertained. It's a fun game, just not one that you'll feel so good buying at full price, and you might end up kicking yourself over it afterwards.

Yukari

Yeah, the concept's the best thing about it, but when you're not on missions, there's not really much to do except a few sidequest types and some minigames. Of course, you can make fun, but the real fun, as far as I am, is in the missions, because you can really exhaust the fun of Chicago by just doing whatever. Missions like car chases and firefights are there, but I've found that the game is most fun when you're doing things like stealth missions or, in the case of firefights, when you use cameras and the environment to take out enemies. Not too mention that Chicago is beautiful in Watch_Dogs.

But, again, I can't really say that that's enough to warrant a $60 purchase out of it unless you're easily entertained. It's a fun game, just not one that you'll feel so good buying at full price, and you might end up kicking yourself over it afterwards.
From how I understand it: The concept was amazing, execution was not.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
To make matters worse, this following video shows off the gltiches and bugs found in Watch Dogs:

-snip-

Let's not forget how this game shoves memes down our throats rather than creating their own meme-material moments. Well I was right about keeping low expectations on this game because of the negative backlash it'll receive from user reviews.
I wouldn't say that in itself is indicative of anything. The signs are...well, just signs, I've barely even taken a look at them (though really, I think it makes more sense that they used established, real-world memes than original ones). I haven't found too many glitches or bugs in my playthrough, either.

---

From how I understand it: The concept was amazing, execution was not.

As for the game itself, it's not too gripping with its mechanics. Watch_Dogs honestly feels like the game that I was expecting it to be after E3, an Open-World game with a sprawling concept. A lot of the game feels like Assassin's Creed mixed with GTA with hacking and some light Splinter...Actually, scratch that, It's like Assassin's Creed mixed with Splinter Cell crossed with GTA (Ubi Montreal is really getting off on turning all of their franchises and games into Assassin's Creed. Farcry 3, SC Blacklist, etc.), with there being CTOS stations that aren't too dissimilar from the lookout points in Assassin's Creed. The movement isn't Assassin's Creed level, climbing and things like that are pretty basic, but it falls prey to the same problems that the first and last games do: it's only as fun as the game itself, not its story will provide.

Few will argue that GTAV had a good story and great characters, but that doesn't stop people from dropping the game after several hours, leaving the story unfinished. Watch_Dogs is probably similar in this manner. While its story isn't the most unique, it has some fun characters and the story missions use hacking to its advantage the most, and that's kind of the problem. The player is given this sprawling world, a beautiful (and I mean BEAUTIFUL) representation of Chicago that looks nice to just ride around in a train with or take a stroll in a car, but the problem is that the world isn't completely designed for unique hacking situations. You'll often be resorting to older tactics to catch criminals or avoid cops, but when you get down to it, the hacking is pretty vanilla. You can unlock things but hacking and hacking interaction feels almost as if it could have been modded into a GTA title and reached the same effect in the Open World.

Now, back to Chicago, it looks just fantastic, both in the day and at night. The normal NPCs populating the city in the game feel more real than any other Open World game I've ever played. They have their own conversations, do their own activities, and react to their environments so fluidly and dynamically that it's almost breathtaking. And despite what I said about the "vanilla hacking", it can still be a lot of fun. Enduring a long police chase only to be saved by an oncoming train that you hack to a stop, board, and ride to safety is both incredibly exciting and satisfying, and chasing a criminal on foot only to stop him by blowing up a not-so-conveniently placed transformer also breeds a sense of accomplishment. The hacking may be lite and vanilla, but coupled with the many dynamic events that happen in the game (which are also some of the best I've seen in an Open-World game), it's still a lot of fun, especially on story missions designed around them.

---

So...that's my mini-review, of sorts. It's not a bad game at all, I'd even say that it's a good one, and one worth buying. Does it live up to the hype? No, but that should be expected. I'd say it's worth around $30 at most, though, not $60 (though I'd probably buy it for less, but that's just me). Not great, but far from bad and I'd even say better than okay. But if you are interested in the game, you can find it now on PC at cheapest for $48 or around that.

EDIT: And yeah, that's supposed to be a cannon. From the revolutionary war, I think.

Years
I've been watching videos of the gameplay for Watch_Dogs, and the graphics aren't up to what it could be \: Even compared to the other PS4 games that have already been released, I feel like it pales in comparison to them. Particularly during cutscenes where the facial structure looks slightly on the plastic side, and doesn't appear to be moving when they're talking...The driving looks fun though! :D I'd love to just ride around the city touring it~

Although one thing that I'd actually be interested in is profiling every single person XD There's some funny descriptions as far as I've seen.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I just finished the main plot in Watch_Dogs yesterday. Initially the game promised a hell of a lot, and I'm confident that they didn't fulfill that promise. The game is somewhat generic, it is littered with bad optimisation and PC performance issues, fairly repetitive, and underwhelming overall. I feel like the 6 month delay was too little, but once again Ubisoft care more about money than providing fans with a good, solid, and stable game. However, in saying this, the original mechanics and the well crafted city keep it from being a bad game. The side quests are there, sure, but there's not much to drag you into them. You're not going to be looking at much storyline material outside of the main plot-line, which is disappointing.

It's worth playing if you like action/adventure games, but you'll be looking at a wooden protagonist player character. Thankfully the other characters (mostly) make up for his boring, and frankly annoying character traits. Watch_Dogs had so much potential, and I think Ubisoft want it to be their next "Assassin's Creed" franchise, but they released a broken promise, and an ~okay game. It felt like Assassin's Creed 3, or Revelations, in terms of the content and how lackluster it was. AC3 was the introduction of their new engine, and ever since Ubisoft have been releasing games on it; they've been buggy, unfinished feeling, expansive, and frankly the world they create in both Watch_Dogs and AC3 collapse in on themselves. They're beautiful, but dead, expansive yet unpopulated.

I really hope Ubisoft do not attempt to make Watch_Dogs into their next franchise, because I felt like this was a massive flop compared to what was offered at E3. At the end you'll see how much they're gearing toward a bunch of new DLC, and how this game could potentially turn into a massive franchise sprawling across many cities.

Ubisoft need to s t o p releasing games so frequently, and concentrate on actually making them stable and allow players their monies worth. AC4 was close to that, but multiplayer didn't work for most players, it was still buggy as hell, and they failed to really expand upon their franchise and fix mistakes. I like Ubisoft, but I really hope they calm down and actually shoot for a 10/10 game like they're capable of, instead of rushing a 7/10 and trying to grab as much cash through hype, DLC, and additional swag, as they can. They're becoming predictably unreliable.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Me at its reveal - OMG HOLY ♥♥♥♥ I'M BUYING A NEW PC FOR THIS GAME.
Me after its release - Naah, not gonna bother. I'll stick to my 10+ year old DMC3.

I can see where the complaints are coming from. Ubi are trying to homogenize most of their games. From what I've heard from gamers around the web, most of their games seem to share mechanics. They're all in for sharing assets across all their games - this, while cost effective, prevents them from coming up with something truly original. They're just recycling a lot of stuff over and over again. In hopes that they'd be able to make good games without having to go through too much trouble and save costs at the same time. But it is obviously not working. Ubi shouldn't look at Activision/EA for game releases. But rather look at companies like Rockstar and Valve. The ones who are stubborn as hell with their games and refuse to release them unless they're absolutely sure their games are gonna be fun.

As for the Assassin's Creed franchise, I lost interest after AC3. I had already kinda given up on it after Revelations but...well, AC3 ended and I was like "Eff this, I honestly don't give a crap about the series anymore". Still haven't played AC4. Although I've heard good stuff about it so I'll play it sometime. But I'm not as big a fan of the franchise as I used to be. You know, back in the AC2 days. Those were the days when I was CRAZY into this franchise.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Watch_Dogs had so much potential, and I think Ubisoft want it to be their next "Assassin's Creed" franchise, but they released a broken promise, and an ~okay game. It felt like Assassin's Creed 3, or Revelations, in terms of the content and how lackluster it was. AC3 was the introduction of their new engine, and ever since Ubisoft have been releasing games on it; they've been buggy, unfinished feeling, expansive, and frankly the world they create in both Watch_Dogs and AC3 collapse in on themselves. They're beautiful, but dead, expansive yet unpopulated.

this really explains my gameplay problems with AC3 so well

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Yeah, AC3 was my least favorite. Ubisoft did redeem theirselves with AC 4. I like how they are expanding to new areas, will the newest one really be set in feudal Japan? That would be an interesting setting as well.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I've done a few plot missions and a few side missions and so far my verdict is: the hacking/on foot stuff in the plot missions is a ton of fun, the side missions are hit and miss, and the driving segments are bad and made worse by lag (I have a pretty darn good computer and the latest GeForce driver and I cranked settings down to the bare minimum aside from 1080p res and I'm still having problems with choppiness while driving).

The few plot missions I've done have been more fun than most of the rest of the game combined. Too bad I hear the plot itself sucks, but the missions are fun.

In other news, finally bought and started playing the recent South Park game and started on Planescape: Torment. The former's fun as hell, the latter's all right so far, though I'm not very far into it yet.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I've done a few plot missions and a few side missions and so far my verdict is: the hacking/on foot stuff in the plot missions is a ton of fun, the side missions are hit and miss, and the driving segments are bad and made worse by lag (I have a pretty darn good computer and the latest GeForce driver and I cranked settings down to the bare minimum aside from 1080p res and I'm still having problems with choppiness while driving).

The few plot missions I've done have been more fun than most of the rest of the game combined. Too bad I hear the plot itself sucks, but the missions are fun.

In other news, finally bought and started playing the recent South Park game and started on Planescape: Torment. The former's fun as hell, the latter's all right so far, though I'm not very far into it yet.
The fact is, they have performance issues across the board. I tried this game on a GTX 770, with a 4.2 GHZ (AMD, meh) CPU, with tonnes of RAM, the works, still had to turn things down. A GTX 780 can just about max settings, but I wonder with what kind of FPS?

That said, the longer it goes on, the more you see wrong with it, and the more repetitive missions get. They're never not fun (to a degree anyway), but they are repetitive as hell. Infiltrate this area, hack in here, kill this guy, oh no he's getting away, chase him in car, can't shoot out from car so keep ramming him, okay cool he's getting out of the car run him over until he's dead because if you get out you'll probably die, escape the area, mission complete, queue really annoying gravelly voice acting from main character, insert boring plot progression point here etc. Not to deter you, it's not a bad game, but it's not without it's faults. Post-game I was like "whelp, I have no desire to keep going!"

South Park game is fantastic! I have yet to finish it, but I'm 3/4's away through and I have to say, it's a tonne of fun with a few beers and some friends around haha.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
The fact is, they have performance issues across the board. I tried this game on a GTX 770, with a 4.2 GHZ (AMD, meh) CPU, with tonnes of RAM, the works, still had to turn things down. A GTX 780 can just about max settings, but I wonder with what kind of FPS?

That said, the longer it goes on, the more you see wrong with it, and the more repetitive missions get. They're never not fun (to a degree anyway), but they are repetitive as hell. Infiltrate this area, hack in here, kill this guy, oh no he's getting away, chase him in car, can't shoot out from car so keep ramming him, okay cool he's getting out of the car run him over until he's dead because if you get out you'll probably die, escape the area, mission complete, queue really annoying gravelly voice acting from main character, insert boring plot progression point here etc. Not to deter you, it's not a bad game, but it's not without it's faults. Post-game I was like "whelp, I have no desire to keep going!"

South Park game is fantastic! I have yet to finish it, but I'm 3/4's away through and I have to say, it's a tonne of fun with a few beers and some friends around haha.
Protag's voice reminds me of Hugh Laurie's House voice to me, to be honest.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Yeah, protag's pretty generic. He's your standard "Family member dies, wants revenge, uses a lot of snarky one-liners" protag without any flare other than the fact that...well, that he's a hacker.

The clothing options are joke, too. I didn't care much for it, but since I had the Digital Deluxe version at my disposal, I decided to check it out. And what you get is a bunch of recolors of the same outfit. Basically something you could do with little to no modding knowledge. I guess it's nice that they added it (?), but the half-assed nature really makes it feel like it should have been fleshed out or not added at all.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I like how they are expanding to new areas, will the newest one really be set in feudal Japan? That would be an interesting setting as well.
I believe that the newest one (Assassin's Creed: Unity, iirc), is set in France during or around the French Revolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back