• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Sizes

PoisonEmeralds

Rookie ROM Hacker
Years
Do you reckon with this new 3D battle format we'll be able to see the size of pokemon properly? One thing I really want to see is a joltik or wurmple attacking the massive Yveltal but to scale unlike the old games where they looked around the same size either way. Anyone else want to see this?
It may be the case on the 3DS XL but probably not on reg 3DS :c

Fureon

Psychic
Years
I don't mean "awkward" in any sort of "feeling" sense, but in a very straightforward game design sense.

To run with the examples that have been mentioned a few times now - a Joltik is 4 inches tall. A Wailord is 47 feet tall. That means that a battle between the two of them would be a battle between something the size of your hand and something the size of your local Home Depot. If the camera zoomed in far enough that you could actually see the Joltik, you would only see, at most, a tiny fraction of the Wailord - no more than a bit of blue - the equivalent of one brick in the wall of that Home Depot and certainly not enough to even be able to tell that it's a Wailord. If the camera zoomed out far enough to see the Wailord, the Joltik would be the tiniest speck of dust, impossible to see. Either the game would have to stay with one or the other, so you'd never see the other one, or it would have to constantly zoom back and forth, from one to the other. That would be, either way, awkward.
I don't think this should be a problem with a dynamic camera. It's not that hard to make the camera sequentially show one pokemon, then another, then both, some specific angles, etc.

Either way, think of how Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness dealt with those kind of things, it would be pretty much the same sort of thing if we're talking about Pokémon X and Y here.
This.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
Although the Pokémon and battle scenes do look more realistic in what we've previewed so far in X & Y, I don't think we will see any remarkable size differences between Pokémon. I do believe, though, that each Pokémon will look a lot more "realistic", size-wise, than they did in the 2D versions, but we are getting the games on the 3DS after all. As for actual sizes, no. It'd be cool, though, if each specific Pokémon had their own unique size. And it's true what PokémonShinySilver said about Colusseum and GoD. I think the battles in X & Y will look a lot like the ones in those games.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
It will surely have to happen.

It would be beyond ridiculous for the pokemon scaling to be the same as in past games. Else all the legendary pokemon (and Wailord) will appear tiny and mis-proportioned next to smaller pokemon like Caterpie and Weedle.

Sprites helped them get away with that, but they won't get it away with it now. It'll be a lot more noticeable now if they don't get the proportions right.

Years
I think it would be a good idea to have Pokemon at least closer to their correct sizes. I mean, maybe they could scale down the MASSIVE ones (like Wailord) and maybe slightly scale up, say, Joltik, etc. But they shouldn't look almost the same size. The way the graphics are make it seem like it's at least a bit more feasible than it was before with the sprites. (If Onix and Caterpie look the same size I'm gonna go flip tables.) lol

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
I doubt it. It would be impossible to get a good view of both a Pichu and a Tyranitar battling each other with accurate Pokemon sizes.
I'd rather it stay that way, anyways. I hate to think about the fact that sweet little Togekiss is almost my height. In my head, I want it to be Togetic-sized.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I will echo what other people have said, and say that it would be quite difficult to manipulate the cameras in such a way that Joltik and Wailord can fight each other without some crazy camera angles.

I do think Pokemon scaled to their actual sizes would be cool. The only issue is, from what we've seen from the trailers, I doubt that this will happen with these games (unless they change a lot of things before release day). Golurk is 9'02", and unless Froakie is like 2-3 feet tall (which I find a tad unlikely, and certainly weird) Froakie really didn't look that small in comparison.

Pichu and Tyranitar would be extremely easy to have on the battle arena (with accurate sizes) though. There's only a five foot seven inch different in height between them.

Guy

just a guy
Years
While they'll obviously scale down some of the larger Pokémon to fit accordingly on screen, it seems as though there will definitely be a change in proportion from previous games given the screen grab below (or click to see it here).

Spoiler:

I had not noticed this earlier from the trailer because it went by so quickly, but I definitely like this more realistic approach. It certainly adds more depth during battles.

Back