• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Non-Gamers

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
This probably happened to you guys before, but have you ever had an encounter with a "non-gamer". who bashed other gamers for being involved in their game? Some of them call gamers' interests "A waste of time" or "pointless", but ironically enough, don't they spend the same amount of hours reading a book or watching television?

Have you had an encounter with that sort of 'non-gamer'? How did that go? What would you say to someone who would bash other gamers for doing something that's "a waste of time"?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Hmm, I think the only time I ever hear 'gamer-hate' is when people mention playing MMOs.

For some reason, there is a really nerdy stigma associated with online PC MMOs, where as PS3 games that have multiplayer aspects are not thought of as nerdy at all. TBH, I think more hate comes from groups within gaming, rather than from non-gamers.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I echo what SwifSign said. WoW and LoL players probably get the most hate because of how they are portrayed in society to be fat nerds who don't have a job and all sorts of other stereotypes. I don't personally play a MMO but yeah, most of 'non-gamer' hate goes to them.

The only kind of hate I've gotten is actually from my sister, who can't stop saying that violent games should be banned altogether because she read one newspaper article about a boy who killed his mum because she turned his Xbox off when he was playing COD. Seems like gaming is becoming more and more of a norm, if it isn't already.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I hear it all the time from family, people I work with and friends.

I mainly play MMO games which is probably why but even when I used to play call of duty they used to say it was a waste of time and so on.

Back