• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Gotta catch them bugs!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
What did you think of the HGSS Bug Catching Contest? Did you prefer it to the original GSC contest or do you wish they'd never made changes? Do you always seem to come in first place or miss out on the great Pokémon? Do you like the prizes or wish they'd come up with something special? Do you wish it'd take place more often in the week than just three days? How did you feel about the National Dex additions to the contest after unlocking them? Discuss!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I loved its return. I really enjoyed participating in it through my journies in GSC, and I definitely welcomed it back with open arms. It breaks the monotony of the constant 'gain all the 8 gym badges, beat everyone, conquer your journey' routine and gives the game a new aspect and bit of diversity. Although we've seen it before in GSC, the amount of enjoyment I received through participating is still pretty much the same: a lot. It does prove to be especially handy in catching a powerhouse - that being Scyther, relatively early on in the game (or near mid-way). I like the days in which it is run, and I don't think it should be changed. I don't really pay much attention though when and if it's run or not on a certain day, I usually find myself participating if I'm lucky enough to be where it's hosted on the day it's open.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I like the new Bug Catching Contest for lots of reasons. I like how you can get Pokemon like Pinsir and Scyther. I usually come in first place because I found the trick behind it. You gotta look for a level 14 Scyther or Pinsir and make sure you don't put any damage on it. That's how I win every time. I also use the Bug Catching Contest for training, that's after I maxamize my EV's that is. I'm not too picky with the items you win but I heard the stones come at random but so far I've only received Sun Stones. Idk if getting other stones is true tho.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I like the changes they added to it and I'm glad they brought it back. I don't really like Bug-types that much, but the Bug Catching Contest is something I always do just because it's fun. I like how they allowed you to catch gen 3 and 4 bug types on certain days after the Elite Four cause it gives it more variety and allows me to fill up my Pokedex faster. I usually get first cause I have now figured out how the trick behind it. All you need to do is catch a high level Pokemon with no or little damage taken on it.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I adore the Bug Catching Contest in HG/SS. Although bug Pokemon have honestly been a type, I don't favour in general, every time it was on, I'd leap at the chance. The prizes were great in my opinion, stones are definitely a good reward. The Bug Catching Contest also has loads of benefits - You can catch Pokemon like Scyther early instead of waiting for so long.

I'll have to be honest here, usually I come second in the Bug Contest. I rarely come first, maybe Catching Contests aren't really my thing. I dearly wish they were held everyday, that would be awesome xD!

Years
I did do a bit of the Bug-Catching Contest in SoulSilver, however I kept getting Shed Shells as my prize.

But again, I like how it adds to the nostalgia factor present throughout the game.

Years
I've never played GSC, but I loved the bug catching contest. Even though I didn't need Sun Stones, it was always such a fun thing to do for me. I really enjoyed having the "rare" bugs pop up, like Pinsirs and Scythers. (nd shiny beedrills :D) I always seem to come in second to a Caterpie or something of that sort though. >_<
I'm fine with the prizes, even though they aren't very useful pre-National pokedex. I'm fine with it only taking place during three days as it makes it more of an exciting/special event to me. As for National dex, the additions are enticing, but I've never gotten that far in Heartgold...

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've always enjoyed it; it was a fun little addition to do from time to time, and it also had neat music as well. I liked that they added on to it with the other stones and also the post-e4 Pokemon upgrades as well.

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I loved it. It was a real fun event, I usually would come in second though but its pretty fun!

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
The bug contest was one of my favourite things in both HGSS and the originals. It was like a more awesome safari zone. I just wish it happened a little more regularly, because I sucked at it.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
The fact I lost to a Caterpie even though I had caught a level 17 Scyther at full health....

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I loved it just as much as I did the original Bug Catching Contest, and the additions that were included were only improvements to me. The Bug Catching Contest helped with completing my PokeDex, and it blessed me with a shiny Wurmple. And the prizes, especially the evolutionary stones, came in handy. It was just a great way to immerse myself more in the game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I ruled the new bug catching contest. I don't think I ever got anything less than first place in it and thus I loved it. Whenever I needed a stone I would just take part, catch a Butterfree or something at full health (doesn't even have to be a scyther or a pinsir guys) and if it's not the stone I want I would try again. Pretty sure I have a lot of extras because of the catching contest ahaha.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
It was just like I remember it. I can never find Scyther and I always lose. XD
It's still fun though. That was one of my favorite features in GSC. I liked the National Pokedex additions Post Story also.

LightOfTruth

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 16, 2020
I like that there isn't just a Bug Catching Contest at that location. Makes it more worth flying to :)

#isthenumbersign
Years
I miss the Berry Juice that you get from winning 2nd. :( At least I think it was a Berry Juice, I can't even remember. Some sort of berry item. Haven't played either contest in sooo long.

Years
I've actually started participating in the Bug Catching Contest again after I figured out a way to get Pokemon with relatively high IVs. I'm not usually someone that cares a lot about competitive training, but I just found it kind of cool, and now wish that the contest wasn't only 3 times a week.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I miss the Berry Juice that you get from winning 2nd. :( At least I think it was a Berry Juice, I can't even remember. Some sort of berry item. Haven't played either contest in sooo long.
Gold Berry, third place — in modern parlance that's a Sitrus, which remains the third place prize. See here for a full list.

Berry Juice was obtained by giving a Shuckle a Berry and waiting for it to ferment inside its shell.
Allowing it to keep hold of the Berry Juice would make it turn into a Rare Candy, apparently.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I enjoy the bug-catching contest. Not sure if people consider it "cheating" but I admit that I do change my DSiXL's date so I can play it whenever I want. X)

Back