• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon definitely existed, just not in Babylon

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
link

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, weren't in Babylon at all - but were instead located 480km to the north in Babylon's greatest rival, Nineveh, according to a leading Oxford-based historian.

After more than 20 years of research, Dr Stephanie Dalley, of Oxford University's Oriental Institute, has pieced together enough evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the famed gardens were built in Nineveh by the great Assyrian ruler Sennacherib - and not, as historians have always thought, by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon.

Dalley first publicly proposed her idea that Nineveh, not Babylon, was the site of the gardens back in 1992, when her claim was reported in the Independent - but it has taken a further two decades to find enough evidence to prove it.

I think this is pretty interesting, especially as I thought people were still contending whether the gardens ever actually existed or not. Thoughts?

Years
This is pretty cool. So I'm guessing then that Nebuchadnezzar sought the Gardens at point, took Ninevah, and then eventually History was rewritten to make it seem as though the gardens were purely Babylonian. Sounds about right.

Back