• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokemon game is best for beginners?

Best Pokemon Game for Beginners

• Pokemon Platinium

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
FR/LG is the best for beginners because it includes a lot of tutorials and it's a remake of the very beginning of the whole series, but B/W isn't too shabby either. It basically serves as a recreation of the experience of playing R/B/Y. To be honest, all Pokemon games are pretty easy. Everything is explained in every game through capture tutorials, item descriptions, and dialogue. The only difficult thing to learn is typing strengths/weaknesses and they're easy to memorize once you know them.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I think going for Fire Red or Leaf Green would be the best choice for a beginner. The earlier the generation the better, in my opinion.

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
Here's the order in which I think they should be played. FireRed and LeafGreen first, gotta start in Kanto. HeartGold and SoulSilver second, they're sequels to the Kanto games. Emerald, it's a better version of Ruby and Sapphire, and Hoenn really was a great generation. Then Platinum, it's just like Emerald for Diamond and Pearl. Then Black and White, the first Unova games, and then Black 2 and White 2, again, sequels to the games that came before them. Except unlike with Red/Green and Gold/Silver, they're direct sequels, taking place just two years ago and having heavily intertwined storylines.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I've never checked out FireRed or LeafGreen, but I still believe that Black/White is the best game for learning Pokemon. I especially like the idea of the first gym, as it makes the most of utilizing the Grass/Fire/Water combo.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
The newer the game, the more beginner friendly it is likely to be. I think since the fourth generation, they hold the player's hand at the beginning rather than sending them on the one fetch quest and letting them be on their way. That said, the older games came with more substantial manuals in place of such tutorials, so while one Pokemon game may be easier for someone unfamiliar to get into than another depending on what sort of learner one is, none of them should be difficult.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I'd start at the beginning! Play Leafgreen or FireRed and learn the basics from that game, then proceed on to HeartGold/SoulSilver, those games are a little longer because there are 16 gyms. By that point you should have some experience and be good to go! Just play through the games, and learn from mistakes, that's what I had to do and I'm still learning. At first you probably won't train your Pokemon enough, but always train more than you think it'll be worth it towards the end. :)

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I think the best pokemon game for first-time players is the most current games out there. I've heard stories of friends who have insisted they would start their way up with Kanto onwards, only for them to eventually feel discouraged at how long it takes to catch up.

But if you play the games with the most recent game, you'll have something relevant to chat, battle, and trade with with the current fans. Pokemon games improve over time, so why force yourself to start off with a game, knowing that it lacks features and options?

The only exception might be Black2/White2, because these sequel games are best enjoyed when you have the context of the prequel.

Years
The inclusion of a VS Seeker makes FR/LG really great games for people just getting into the series (in my opinion). The gym and trainer levels are pretty balanced, which I think makes for a good yet not too difficult/easy challenge for new fans. VS Seeker helps balance out any potential difficulties.

B/W are quite good as well, though!

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
Years
I would probably recommend starting out with Heart Gold/Soul Silver. It's just extremely polished overall with lots of lovely aesthetical touches while having a long maingame and postgame, taking everything that was good about Pokemon Platinum and refining it, along with containing a vast majority of the 493 pokemon. BW2 are up there too, but lose a little bit of points for being slightly alienating since it's a continuation of BW1 and the lack of Hilbert PWT battle can't be excused D: <

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
I would say HG SS because its an old region but enhanced graphics which make the game more playable!

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Definitely FRLG. It's basically Gen 1 with the Gen 3 graphics, although it also has Johto Pokemon and offers you the chance to beat the E4 for the second time. Other than that, it's probably the best game for beginners, especially with that TV you get in Viridian City.

Back