• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That one level.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
Ever find a part of a game, a map or level you just couldn't get through? Mine just had to be Carnival Night Zone Act 2...damn barrel. Tails kept screwing me up on that ;~;

Any levels you found troubling? Or you just couldn't get around? Discuss.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Since I don't have any examples on hand at the moment, I'll go Touhou.

In Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism there's stage 3 which features Yuugi...throughout the entire stage. Rarely do I find level 3s to be hard in a Touhou games, and generally the bosses are more of a problem than the levels themselves...but stage 4 has one steady difficulty throughout the level simply because Yuugi is facing you throughout.

To this day, SA is the Touhou I've made the least progress in.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Hm, there was this one level on Super Mario Galaxy that I just couldn't seem to beat for a long while, aha. It involves careful timing, or else you'd fall down a hole. And there's many holes. *gulp*. Fortunately, with practice it becomes easier, but, I still think it was preeeeetty tough!

Nakala Pri

Twilight Princess, where you have to get a steaming hot barrel of spring water and deliver it to Kakariko or Castle Town (can't remember) and the Bulbins are chasing you on the giant pigs and you are on bare foot and they try and shove you off the edge. ;-;

I need therapy for that experience. xD

Years
Ever find a part of a game, a map or level you just couldn't get through? Mine just had to be Carnival Night Zone Act 2...damn barrel. Tails kept screwing me up on that ;~;
That's a popular choice. That took me years to beat. (I've also never beaten Sonic 2 or 3 since I've never been able to get through Oil Ocean or Launch Base, always getting lost in them.)

For a long time I wasn't able to beat the pyramid level of Super Mario Bros. 3. I had to find a friend who owned the game, and he told me to use a Koopa shell to blast through the bricks. The rest of the game was pretty easy.

Years
Jabu_jabu.jpg

It's pretty much also my biggest "Gamer Shame" moment. I still can't beat this level, and I'm told of this Water Temple that is supposed to be way worse.......

and yes, that does mean I've never beaten OOT.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
The Water Temple from OOT is always upsetting - I've played that game a million times and no matter how much of the other dungeons I've memorized I can NEVER beat this one on the first try, I always confuse myself and have to backtrack like a thousand times o.e

@DavidtheDeadPhilosopher: Is it just because you don't know what to do? There's no shame in following a walkthrough or seeing how someone else does it!! Especially since Ocarina of Time is amazing, so you should definitely push through this one if you're up for it ♥

Uh, a lot of the final galaxies in Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 are super tricky and now that I've picked off most of them I can't get through the rest ;; Also, almost anything that's timed, I literally cannot do timed challenges which means I've kind of been struggling with Majora's Mask, haha, which is kind of lame now that I think about since you have a LOT of time, but oh well. x3

I'm sure there's plenty more, but that's all I can think of for now ;;

TY

The 5th NOD mission in C&C 3: Tiberium Wars

You have to destroy a GDI base with a small ammount of resources and your best unit is a Flame Tank, while GDI spams out tanks all over the place. It was just undoable as when i had a army together, GDI had a army twice the size of mine. I still havent beaten this mission cause of this, and even rushing doesnt work...

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Years
So many, but I'll list the most notable ones for my part...

Wolfenstein 3D - Episode 6, Level 7. On Death Incarnate difficulty. This was a royal pain for me to even achieve 100% in kills, treasures, and secrets. Everything else after the first 20% of the map is a freaking maze; nothing else. It's possible, but......jeez.
Descent 2 - Level 16. The level itself is ok, but the boss of this level is horribly cheap, even if you're playing on the easiest difficulty. Many people who fought this boss the first time had to resort to camping for this one. But really, once you're hit with a flash missile, you're then bombarded by even more heavy fire......which probably means you're instakilled...unless you're capable of memorizing your way to a safe area, as that's your only best solution.
Descent 3 - Level 4. The trains. Better yet, try this without using the rear view button. It'll probably be one of the biggest scares of your life. Fortunately, anything after that is a cakewalk since that's only the beginning portion of that level itself.
Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith - Not sure if this one counts, but anyway, it's not the stages or bosses; but it's Kanako's very last card on Stage 6 Hard/Lunatic (in other words, her very infamous Virtue of Wind God on Lunatic difficulty). I can capture this consistently now, but I've been overdue for a no bomb-no death timeout and I just don't feel motivated to pull it anymore. Still, if one were to be used to it, that, in my opinion, that card is fun as hell. However, my attempts have motivated two other Touhou players to successfully time it out in the past, though...
Touhou 12: Undefined Fantastic Object - I'm used to the entire stage portion, but even after months of grinding that stage (on Lunatic difficulty), I'm still not very consistent with Shou's spell cards. In my opinion, her last card (Complete Clarification) is probably her easiest for me, but even then, it's still hard. Given there's no spell card practice for this one, a stage run is completely mandatory.
DoDonPachi (any series) - Hibachi. Just look it up on YouTube. Since there's various ones, any will do. I really shouldn't explain this at all. I am currently not adjusted to this at the moment.

Years
It's pretty much also my biggest "Gamer Shame" moment. I still can't beat this level, and I'm told of this Water Temple that is supposed to be way worse.......
B*tch, please. For years I never even beat the DEKU TREE, because I thought you were supposed to swim under the rotating spike pillar rather than press a switch and I couldn't do it. (However, when I borrowed my friend's copy of the 3DS port, I was at the stealth part of Hyrule Castle within a couple days.)

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The final mission in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3. 6 Bijuus, 2 at a time, no items, no health regen and unskippible cutscenes.

On a more recent occasion though. Diablos (The GF from FF8) was tough too. As soon as I got the lamp, I opened it. So I had no time to prepare for him. I felt confident though and it payed off. He was still hella tough though.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The final mission in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3. 6 Bijuus, 2 at a time, no items, no health regen and unskippible cutscenes.
Dear God that was tough, especially on Legendary. Took me a good while to beat that one.

And speaking of Shippuden 3, the first time around, Kabuto from Full Burst qualifies, though he's really more of "that one boss" rather than "that one level".

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Dear God that was tough, especially on Legendary. Took me a good while to beat that one.

OH YEAH! Fudgin'... You had to take on all 6 Jinchuriki's at the same time if you chose Legendary (thank god both options still only made you had to take on 2 Tailed Beasts at a time though. Could you imagine taking on all 6 of those sonsaguns at once, good lord no). See, I could of seen this coming if I had made the same choice with the Seven Swordsmen... But no, I chose heroic for the swordsmen and Legendary for the Jinchuriki's... Oi... Tim, you suck. Lol.

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years
I think probably the hardest game level I've played is early on in Ninety-Nine Nights. I forget the name of the character, but she's like the very first one you can play as, and it's her second level. Took me awhile to realize you could go back and do the other level to rank up. Still haven't beat it I don't think. It's been awhile.

Years
There have been a few levels where I have struggled, but I can't actually recall a game level in which I have been completely stuck, if I am honest.​

Years
The hardest level I've ever played was the final boss of The World Ends with You. Jesus. It took forever to even modestly damage it, and in that time I'd be half dead.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
The hardest level I've ever played was the final boss of The World Ends with You. Jesus. It took forever to even modestly damage it, and in that time I'd be half dead.
I can't remember having a difficult time with the final boss (probably because I always keep strong healing items on me), but there are two battles in TWEWY that stood out to me as the hardest of the hard.

The first of these is the second battle against Uzuki and Kariya. Not only do they deal a lot of damage and have a wide array of attacks (each), but you also have to keep a careful eye on both screens because Uzuki moves around a lot, and you will miss a lot. And they heal. And they hurt. Not to mention that dodging Kariya with Neku is difficult, but dodging with the partner you have at the time AND Neku is just insane. Couple this with being on Ultimate difficulty (or whatever the highest difficulty is the first time you face them), having deleveled a bit for pins (if I recall, I did that), and the fact that leaving after a loss sends you back will probably send you back a good way, because it's not the most obvious encounter.

The other is easily the hardest in the game, the battle between the Extra Boss. I can't really delve into who the battle is against or why the battle happens, but it essentially takes two of the difficult battles from the main game and puts them on both screens. And Jesus is it tough. It's the only battle where I've changed the difficulty to beat it, though that was partially because I just wanted to see the extra stuff. Oh, and couple this fight with the DS throwing rage induced by the long-as-hell tower you have to climb to get to the fight. Fun, fun.

Years
Assassin's Creed 1. Where you have to kill one of the templars on the boat or something. I don't really remember too well, but he might be the 7th or 8th Templar. Still haven't beaten it to this day. It's not the templar himself that's hard either! I wouldn't know because i've never even gotten up to him. It's the obstacles before him. I blame the much more primitive parkour system. If anyone else had this trouble i'd love to know.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Toxic_Tower.png

I did manage to beat it shortly afterwards because my boxing reflexes kicked in by the check point and managed to beat the second half which is supposedly just as trial and error and hard without dying. I'd imagine I'd have gotten stuck had it not been for my skills. (It wasn't luck god dammit.)

PlatformPanic.png

Now this one took me more tries to beat than the rest of the game combined (which is a feat, considering the whole game is pretty damn hard) but holy damn was it worth it. As it stands it's now one of my favorite levels in a platformer ever.

Can't wait to see what DKC Tropical Freeze will bring.
EDIT:
HOW COULD I FORGET
hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Punch_Out_Wii_Title_Defense_Little_Mac_vs_Super_Macho_Man_and_Mr_Sandman.jpg

**** THESE GUYS

Last edited:
Back