• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussion v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
But even without new moves it allows for Pokémon movesets to be better balanced. Allows for some water type moves to go from being all special to allowing better physical water type attackers to have a better advantage.

Well if there are no new moves, I would rather just keep the default 3rd generation mechanics, since I didn't find them that bad anyway.

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
Do people really care for the new generation Pokemon that much? Is it important to have in a hack? It's impossible to put all Pokemon in a GBA rom. So would it be better for a hack to have some Pokemon from each Generation or maybe Pokemon from just one hack inserted into the hack. Tell what you guys think. It will help me

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
But even without new moves it allows for Pokémon movesets to be better balanced. Allows for some water type moves to go from being all special to allowing better physical water type attackers to have a better advantage.
For this reason, I would be against P/S split.
It's more interesting and in a way harder to play without P/S split =)

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
For this reason, I would be against P/S split.
It's more interesting and in a way harder to play without P/S split =)
Maybe. That is a very interesting take on the whole situation, I do believe that gameplay balance should take precedence over difficulty though.

Do people really care for the new generation Pokemon that much? Is it important to have in a hack? It's impossible to put all Pokemon in a GBA rom. So would it be better for a hack to have some Pokemon from each Generation or maybe Pokemon from just one hack inserted into the hack. Tell what you guys think. It will help me
Personally I don't tend to touch anything pas 4th gen but it's just personal preference, it can't be denied that it helps to vary the game with different Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020

Since I haven't played anything after gen 3 that much, I enjoy hacks with new generation pokémon, as long as there's variety and balance between the types.

But I wouldn't want to see every single pokémon in a hack, 719 pokémon is too much even for three regions. The majority of the original pokémon games have about 150 pokémon for the regional pokédex. A hack could be more varied with wild pokémon and have around 200, and a few more legendaries and special pokémon, but if it was over 250 I'd find it too much for just one region.

Personally, in my hack, I'm planning two regions with around 160-170 obtainable pokémon in each, and some more legendaries and rare pokémon events, so that's about 350-360 obtainable pokémon. However, if I see that it's still not an ideal number, I will have less or more obtainable pokémon accordingly.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
I can't disagree more with the previous posts on this subject. We know full well what happens when your regional Pokédex is too small because we've seen it numerous times both by Gamefreak and by hackers emulating them like Doesnt.

Hoenn had a regional Pokédex of about 200. The result: Phoebe's team consisted of Banette and Dusclops and nothing else, and Glacia was using Glalie and unevolved Sealeo. Sinnoh (Diamond and Pearl, specifically) had a regional Pokédex of 151. The result: some trainers weren't even able to have full teams of their type. Candice had a Medicham (and an unevolved Snover); Volkner had an Octillery and an Ambipom; Aaron had a Drapion (and a Beautifly and Dustox); Flint had a Steelix, a Lopunny and a Drifblim.

Given that a minute Pokédex hampers your player's enjoyment (I don't know anyone who hasn't praised the amount of variety in the expanded Unovadex and Kalosdex) as well as your ability to craft threatening opponents as a game designer, I can't imagine why you'd ever go with a regional Pokédex as small as those used in vanilla Gen III. e: Though I also agree that going all the way to 721 is dumb - implementing all those Pokémon would be exhausting. 386 is a good 'dex size, in my opinion, and conveniently it's the number of slots in the game without expanding anything.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I can't disagree more with the previous posts on this subject. We know full well what happens when your regional Pokédex is too small because we've seen it numerous times both by Gamefreak and by hackers emulating them like Doesnt.

Hoenn had a regional Pokédex of about 200. The result: Phoebe's team consisted of Banette and Dusclops and nothing else, and Glacia was using Glalie and unevolved Sealeo. Sinnoh (Diamond and Pearl, specifically) had a regional Pokédex of 151. The result: some trainers weren't even able to have full teams of their type. Candice had a Medicham (and an unevolved Snover); Volkner had an Octillery and an Ambipom; Aaron had a Drapion (and a Beautifly and Dustox); Flint had a Steelix, a Lopunny and a Drifblim.

Given that a minute Pokédex hampers your player's enjoyment (I don't know anyone who hasn't praised the amount of variety in the expanded Unovadex and Kalosdex) as well as your ability to craft threatening opponents as a game designer, I can't imagine why you'd ever go with a regional Pokédex as small as those used in vanilla Gen III. e: Though I also agree that going all the way to 721 is dumb - implementing all those Pokémon would be exhausting. 386 is a good 'dex size, in my opinion, and conveniently it's the number of slots in the game without expanding anything.

My ideal "regional" pokédex would be around 170 because I'm planning two regions, which would then add to just under 386 if I add a few more extra pokémon. If a hack had only on region accessible, 170 would probably look too few for a pokémon game.

I did like what Game Freak did with Kalos where each region had around 150 pokémon each, so such a number would be great for a hack with multiple regions.

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
For Mega Evolution, there are some sprites I have seen some sprites of Mega Evolution. Now my thing is would it better to make it part of the Pokemon's evolution like say Charizard can evolve one time into Mega X or Y. Or would there be some way to temporarily make the Pokemon who can mega Evolve during the battle and change back to their normal form.

Kenna18155

Kenna18155
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 1, 2020
Are there ANY hacks of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games AT ALL? If so, what are their names?

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
Years
For Mega Evolution, there are some sprites I have seen some sprites of Mega Evolution. Now my thing is would it better to make it part of the Pokemon's evolution like say Charizard can evolve one time into Mega X or Y. Or would there be some way to temporarily make the Pokemon who can mega Evolve during the battle and change back to their normal form.

I would think it would be implemented in a way similar to weather. Castform changes form with different weather conditions, and changes back after battle. Unfortunately, this would force you to sacrifice a Pokemon's move to be able to Mega Evolve... And if this condition could be automatically started in battle by use of a held item, it'd probably have to occur every battle.

That's what I think, but don't take my word for it. I'm still pretty noob-y.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Thread is being closed because the entire 'ROM Hacking' subforum is now used for discussion only. Discuss away in your own threads guys!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back