• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? I can't make people permanently disappear. I've done the whole setflag thing with their ID number; it doesn't work for me. Or, at least, not consistently; sometimes they're gone, and sometimes they reappear.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? I can't make people permanently disappear. I've done the whole setflag thing with their ID number; it doesn't work for me. Or, at least, not consistently; sometimes they're gone, and sometimes they reappear.

Just make them move into a tree or something... xD

EDIT:
Where do would I define nowhere in this script?

Code:
#org $start
lock
faceplayer
applymovement 0x01 $movement
message $move 0x2
release
end

#org $movement
#raw 0x01 0x62

#org $move
#move 1 =Oh, your up \v\h01.  The Professor\nwas looking for you this morning.\lYou better get to his lab quick!
release
end

EDIT 2: What do I use to check if a flag hasn't been set? You use 0x0 to check if its true, what about if its false?

Last edited:

Saitou

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014

Umm..I'm new to this, so I don't know if I can help. Shouldn't you use the 'hidesprite 0x[person event number]' construct?

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2015
Umm..I'm new to this, so I don't know if I can help. Shouldn't you use the 'hidesprite 0x[person event number]' construct?

I was using that too!

Anyway, I changed which numbers I was using as flags, and it started working. So, don't try using 2000 as a person's ID.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
if 0x0 is for false case I've already written it xD
What? 0x0 is for False? (We need a confused smilie xD)

EDIT:
Code:
#org $start
lock
faceplayer
set flag 0x1
checkflag 0x1
if 0x1 goto @never
applymovement 0x01 @movement
message $move 0x2
release
end

#org @movement
#raw 0x01
#raw 0x62

#org $move
#move 1 =Oh, your up \v\h01.  The Professor\nwas looking for you this morning.\lYou better get to his lab quick!
release
end

#org @never
@never 0x1
release
end
XSE says that line 13 wont work.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2011
What is a "level script"? As you described in the beginning of your post. What's the difference between a level script and a normal one?

Wallace Berlitz

I'm back for lucks and givin'
Years
Something's wrong in my scripts? I followed the tutorial in here but the script isn't working! =(

Spoiler:

Nothing's happened! >.< I hope I'm not posting in a wrong section...

madarawolf

Espada Cuarta
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
OK I would like some help with my script. It's supposed to make it so you fight this guy and after you beat him he gives you a Pokemon. I'm pretty sure this should work but I would just like an experienced scripter to look over it.
Spoiler:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
What? 0x0 is for False? (We need a confused smilie xD)

EDIT:
Code:
#org $start
lock
faceplayer
set flag 0x1
checkflag 0x1
if 0x1 goto @never
applymovement 0x01 @movement
message $move 0x2
release
end

#org @movement
#raw 0x01
#raw 0x62

#org $move
release
end

#org @never
@never 0x1
release
end
XSE says that line 13 wont work.
I gotta point some mistakes you made.
First: setflag must be together (I wonder why XSE did not mention this mistake)
Second: start, org and all the msgboxes also must have @. Not # or $
Third: Never use flags above 200
So in other words re-do your script =D

OK I would like some help with my script. It's supposed to make it so you fight this guy and after you beat him he gives you a Pokemon. I'm pretty sure this should work but I would just like an experienced scripter to look over it.
Spoiler:
Fixes in bold and I'd advise to make him disappear after you receive Victini.

Something's wrong in my scripts? I followed the tutorial in here but the script isn't working! =(

Spoiler:

Nothing's happened! >.< I hope I'm not posting in a wrong section...
Well... the thing is... you cannot use first setvar this way... Try to do it with flags, it'll be easier and it should work.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
This thread should be stickied.

It's a pretty bloody comprehensive guide, and is one of the best tutorials in this subforum.

Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2011
Ash493, I've used the flags 200-205, and they work fine for me :P

I also agree with Blue4.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
I gotta point some mistakes you made.
First: setflag must be together (I wonder why XSE did not mention this mistake)
Second: start, org and all the msgboxes also must have @. Not # or $
Third: Never use flags above 200
So in other words re-do your script =D

Fixes in bold and I'd advise to make him disappear after you receive Victini.

Well... the thing is... you cannot use first setvar this way... Try to do it with flags, it'll be easier and it should work.
Why can't you use flags above 200?

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Why can't you use flags above 200?
I think he meant below 0x200.
But, it generally depends on which flags are vacant, and the rom you're using.
I suggest you look up the archive of used flags in XSE's in-built guide.

konman719

Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2011
Hey, so does anyone think they can help me out? Im trying to do something as simple as make a pokeball give you an item but when i try this it either freezes my game or the pokeball disappears when i get the item and then reappears after one step? any suggestions... also the trainer view radius in AM doesnt work for me, any suggestions on that either?

Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2011
If the Pokéball disappears and then reappers after one step it could be because you've used the same flag two times. Change flag and try again. 201-205 should be safe to use in FireRed.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
or just use any flag with four characters as long as the first isn't zero cause almost all flags under a thousand are already used, so set a flag above a thousand and your safe.
Of course you have to know everything about scripting so check out my tutorial which starts from beginner scripting till advance scripting and everything else. OH and super thanks to diegoisawesome for getting me going on scripting in the first place.

konman719

Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2011
ok thanks guys i figured out the pokeball problem but does anyone know how to make a trainer you made approach you? whenever i change the view radius of a trainer i made, it brings the trainer to me but i cant stop talking to him and it says unfamiliar letters.... and i know my trainer works bc if i talked to him he would battle me... help plz

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2014
Can anybody help me?

When i talk to the npc in the game nothing pops up. I just get the sound when you talk to the npc. But no chat box?

Back