• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No tigers as pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
There are a number of pokemon that resemble felines. To name a few,

• Meowth - cat
  • Skitty - kitten
  • Shinx - lion
  • Liepard - leopard

But up till now, there are no pokemon that resemble tigers. How come?

I'd love to see a pokemon character resembling a real life tiger!

800px-MalayanTiger.jpg

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
X/Y might be the emergence of the tiger Pokemon, for all we know. Every generation has had at least one Pokemon that has some kind of feline resemblance (with 2nd gen being debatable because it had a few vague beast designs that kind of looked feline (Espeon, Raikou)), so there's bound to be one in 6th gen. Now I sincerely hope that there's a tiger.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Arcanine is sorta like a Tiger/ Dog hybrid.

Also, there is a Tiger: Raikou. (In case anyone hasn't noticed, the Legendary Beasts (Dogs) are actually cats. Raikou is a Tiger, Suicune is a Jaguar, and Entei is a Lion).

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Raikou is based on the saber-tooth tiger as the people above already said.

That being said, Landorus' Therian Forme is most likely based on a tiger.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
I would say Raikou would be the main contender. Why? Because it, Entei, and Suicune look nothing like dogs. They're feline like.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 9, 2020
Here is a Tigrilla Pokemon (Tiger + Gorilla)
ani125.gif

but the really question is the lack of a Lion Pokemon!!!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The Tiger Pokemon has already been filled up by Landurous' Therian Forme, and seeing that all sub-species of tigers are the same minus different stripe patterns, GF cannot make another one.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
How is/are Growlithe/Arcanine not tiger(s)?

Regards, Chris

Because they're canines. Growlithe is literally the Puppy Pokemon. Their color schemes are tiger-like, but they're dogs.

I'd give the role of the tiger Pokemon to Raikou since it looks so much like a saber-toothed tiger, but that would be like calling Mamoswine an elephant because mammoths and elephants are related. While it's genetically close, it's not an exact match.

Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2013
As previously mentioned, the legendary trio of Suicune, Entei, and Raikou are probably the closest we have to a tiger/big cat.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Pokemon in-game that's more of a tiger analogue though. They are such impressive beasts.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
X/Y might be the emergence of the tiger Pokemon, for all we know. Every generation has had at least one Pokemon that has some kind of feline resemblance (with 2nd gen being debatable because it had a few vague beast designs that kind of looked feline (Espeon, Raikou)), so there's bound to be one in 6th gen. Now I sincerely hope that there's a tiger.

ehhhhhhhh, espeon is more foxy.

I wouldnt mind a pokemon that more closely resembles a pokemon.

Hate purugly
Raikou is pretty sweet.
Arcanine is awesome, but not entirely tigerlike.
Never been a fan of the second forms of the kami trio.
And finally, i like the tigrilla idea. lol

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Heh. For me, Arcanine and Growlithe are totally tigers. Canine tigers perhaps, but clearly tigers. If they made another tiger pokémon, I don't really see how they could make it different enough from those.

Luxray and Manectric are lions enough, in my opinion :]

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2013
I legitimately thought about this the other day, and I have no idea why. :P
I think it had something to do with looking at my Growlithe in Black 2. His stripes say tiger, but he's a puppy. I don't know what's going on. But I'm glad I'm not the only one that's thought about this. :P

Back