• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Envelopes

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
So I guess a thing you can buy at Pokemarts is envelopes, and I was just wondering... Did anybody ever buy those? I didn't and to this day do not know what they do.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I think mail or envelopes as you call them was used as a thing that you attached to Pokemon when you traded them to a friend. Different mail contained different wallpaper and they came with a message. At least that's how I think they've worked ever since their introduction in Gen III. Personally I think it's just plain useless, if you were trading with a real life friend, you'd probably be in close range and you can just tell them anything without spending 50 Pokedollars. To this day I still don't know why its here, I just found it useless and I never had a purpose for it. :(

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I've never used them myself yet, but I've been meaning to someday. I remember I once got a Cinccino off the GTS and it had mail, with a pink wallpaper and a cute message. Brought a smile to my face, so it's definitely a nice feature, though rarely used since you may need the Pokemon to hold an item to evolve or maybe a useful item, like a Rare Candy or something else that you'd want to gift to someone.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I remember way back in Gen 2 discovering letters. Even though I had no one to trade with bar myself I'd often create messages and attach them to my Pokemon before realizing I couldn't put them in the computer when they were holding mail. It annoyed me. Now I've grown up I just don't see a use for them.

Years
I never use mail in any Pokemon game, and this one was no exception. There's just nothing fun to do with the mail.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I've never used an envelope in any Pokemon game in my life, so that's a no haha. They're completely useless. I would have much preferred if the developers put more time into adding other new features/refining other features of the games than have wasted time in implementing the envelopes. (Harsh I know, but it's the truth!!)

Years
With how limited you were in what you could say when writing a letter, I can't really say I used them more than once just to try it out. If they'd given us the ability to say whatever we wanted on them then I might've used them more, but I understand why they didn't because of possible abuse with traded Pokemon (including those over the GTS).

Years
This feature was really forgettable. ;( I never used it at all and never plan to since there just.. isn't enough of an incentive to.

Years
Envelopes are completely worthless. I don't even know why they even implemented the idea in the first place, especially after Gen II as you are restricted to certain words.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I bought, like, 30 of them, but never used them because I didn't have any friends. :'(

Just kidding. The amount of RESTRICTIONS placed on the DICTIONARY you can choose isn't worth the CHALLENGE.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
They're a good way to send messages when you trade your Pokémon with people who live far away from you. I've never bought any of those, though, because I've had plenty of other ways of contacting with my traders. Haha. It's not a very useful feature, to be honest. I'm surprised they haven't taken this out of the games already.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I have never bought them to send messages as I don't have the ability to trade, let alone send messages through Pokemon. I used to buy them when I was younger just for fun and probably because it's cheap and I didn't know what they were for. The only time those mails came in handy was the exchanging of a Harbour Mail for a Coin Case in Mauville City.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I always collected them, and will continue to do so if they're there on future games because of the Harbor Mail trade in Emerald, but I've never used them. And on my last few playthroughs I haven't bothered with them either.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
On another note (pun not intended), in order to add communicate with someone in 4th gen, they had to give you a friend code in-person. So unless if you had a method to communicate with that person to exchange FC's, you couldn't give a person mail anyways. So if you did have friends, you likely had some method of communicating with them outside of Pokemon.

Only in the GTS could you trade pokemon to someone without having ^ contact.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I hated how you had to detach the mail before depositing. I mean the envelopes cost like 50P but I wouldn't use them even if they were free.

Dialga812

The crusade marches on.
Years
I reckon it's a good feature haha {XD} i remember trading my pokemon and swapping mails around with my friends just for the lol aw just wondering did they remove it in gen V? also did hg/ss had it as well? o_O

Back