• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Guitarists

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
Years
Username:Pmarckoue

Reason for joining
:I saw "Ultimate Guitarist" and thought it was the same as the website. I also play guitar.

What is your preferred genre to play in
:Rock and metal (and many of the metal sub-genres)

I've played guitar for about 4 years, and then took a break after the band I was in broke up, slowly gettin back into it though.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Username:Pmarckoue

Reason for joining
:I saw "Ultimate Guitarist" and thought it was the same as the website. I also play guitar.

What is your preferred genre to play in
:Rock and metal (and many of the metal sub-genres)

I've played guitar for about 4 years, and then took a break after the band I was in broke up, slowly gettin back into it though.

Welcome!!
Haha yes the name is a tribute to the website since I don't think I know a guitarist who hasn't used it before :P

Another metal head? Awww yeah \m/. What music did your band play?

Will you be attempting a cover of the tab of the month??

While on that topic I was thinking of making it Tab of the fortnight and change it every two weeks to encourage you all to play the guitar more and record yourselves for us all to see with the best cover going on the front page in the HALL OF FAME. (Voted by club members and anyone who has viewed the cover).
What do you guys think?

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
Years
Welcome!!
Haha yes the name is a tribute to the website since I don't think I know a guitarist who hasn't used it before :P

Another metal head? Awww yeah \m/. What music did your band play?

Will you be attempting a cover of the tab of the month??

While on that topic I was thinking of making it Tab of the fortnight and change it every two weeks to encourage you all to play the guitar more and record yourselves for us all to see with the best cover going on the front page in the HALL OF FAME. (Voted by club members and anyone who has viewed the cover).
What do you guys think?

Definitely one of my most visited site, although I use books too.

We experimented with death metal, thrash metal, and black metal. I have vids of our show on youtube if you are interested in how we sound.

I always like to learn new songs, so I'll definitely play the tab of the month.

Years
Aside from the "tab of the month", what is everyone learning at the moment?

Trying to cement the picking pattern for Dear Prudence - The Beatles in my head.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

Most recent song I learnt was Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall - Coldplay. I'm not a huge fan of the song, but it's a lot of fun to play; I'd certainly suggest it! Plus its the only song I can think of that puts the D6/9 to good use *coughlearnfromthemU2cough*. Recently I also transposed the bass line of Muse's Hysteria on to 6-string; I know this isn't a hard song to play but it sure is fun when you get it to sound right.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years

Trying to cement the picking pattern for Dear Prudence - The Beatles in my head.

Hmm, trying to learn Technical Difficulties by Racer X... but I'm having techinical difficulties with it.. (My fingers don't move that fast >.>)

And I learnt some you me at six songs before that. (Gone from incredibly easy it insane difficult, smart move Tom, smart move.)

And before them was I never told you what I did for a living by My chemical Romance. That song was a pain to learn at first. How do you guys practices songs? Do you learn like parts at a time and perfect them or learn it all at once?

Years
Hmm, trying to learn Technical Difficulties by Racer X... but I'm having techinical difficulties with it.. (My fingers don't move that fast >.>)

And I learnt some you me at six songs before that. (Gone from incredibly easy it insane difficult, smart move Tom, smart move.)

And before them was I never told you what I did for a living by My chemical Romance. That song was a pain to learn at first. How do you guys practices songs? Do you learn like parts at a time and perfect them or learn it all at once?

Depends on the song. For fingepicked stuff, I usually learn the picking pattern and then the fretting movements. For simple chords or melodies, it's usually a learn-it-all-at-once affair. Then I relearn it a week later when I've inevitably forgotten it. Solos need to be broken down, because it's learning (and not improv) solos is not something I do often.

Thinking about buying a better acoustic....

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Personally I learn the whole song straight up/ well play along a few times with the tab int TUX Guitar.
Then I'll go back and look at parts I had difficulty with then practice those till I have them down and keep doing that until the whole songs learnt :P. I don't finger pick much (kinda really bad at it), so don't know how I would learn a finger picked song.

Oh what kind of guitar were you thinking?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I usually break down a song into it's components (Intro, Verse, Chorus, etc.) and learn them separately, then put it all together in the end.

Currently trying to learn Vultures by John Mayer. Love the sound of it and the main lick is amazing.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
So Jake you dissect the song and then put it back together like some sort of mad scientist!
Has anyone done tab of the month yet? I'll be changing it this coming weekend and would very much like some cover's and a possible first hall of famer! Or would you guys like a bit more time?

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
Years

Right now, I'm trying to play "Blood On Your Hands" by Arch Enemy. I have memorized the notes, just got to get the timing right, and only doing the rhythm for the solo segments for now.

Years
So Jake you dissect the song and then put it back together like some sort of mad scientist!
Has anyone done tab of the month yet? I'll be changing it this coming weekend and would very much like some cover's and a possible first hall of famer! Or would you guys like a bit more time?

Well my USB-XLR cable turned up, but the recording is so damned quiet, there's no point recording. Contacting the seller to see if it's buggy, but otherwise I have nothing to record with. My built-in mics distort when the noise gets too loud.

Besides, I've had a few assignments to work on and haven't been disciplined enough to learn it. I hand in my current one on Wednesday, so let's see if I can learn it after that.

Also, I love DADGAD tuning. :D

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Oh my god DADGAD tuning just sounds amazing when it's strummed openly, I love it. Bartender by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds is actually played in this tuning when it's just a solo person playing, it gives it such a full and rich sound it's wonderful. Maybe I'll put a recording of that up at some point when I have my guitar around =P

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
Years
My favorite tuning is C F Bb Eb G C. It's one of my most used tuning next to drop-Db. It sounds so low and brutal.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Drop C is probably one of my favourite tunings since most the songs I like to play are of this tuning. Drop D is what my other electric guitar is tuned to. (Mainly for Vicarious by TOOL.)

But the tuning of my acoustics, wooo they go all over the place, atm its just standard tuning for tab of the month and the classical guitars in like C G E G C c.

Years
Oh my god DADGAD tuning just sounds amazing when it's strummed openly, I love it. Bartender by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds is actually played in this tuning when it's just a solo person playing, it gives it such a full and rich sound it's wonderful. Maybe I'll put a recording of that up at some point when I have my guitar around =P

It's used a lot by the Civil Wars, one of my favourite duos. Worth a look if you like that spooky acoustic drone from the tuning.

If anyone remembers the main theme from the game Bastion, it's also used for that, despite what all of the tabs say.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
It's used a lot by the Civil Wars, one of my favourite duos. Worth a look if you like that spooky acoustic drone from the tuning.

If anyone remembers the main theme from the game Bastion, it's also used for that, despite what all of the tabs say.

haha despite what all the tabs say? How do you know this my good man, have you tabbed it yourself? If so share with us your tab.

Which brings me to a question, has anyone here tabbed out a full song before for themselves? Have you submitted to a tab website? Has it had positive reviews?

Personally I've never tabbed out anything myself. Besides some original riffs and such so I didnt forget them.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
This is a rad club! I'd like to join.

Username: Penatrait

Reason for joining: I've been playing guitar for close to seven years. I love playing in a band as lead or rhythm guitarist, and recent complications in the band may result in me trying my hand at bass guitar.

Preferred genre: Rock and Funk.

Also, I know I'm new, but what does everyone think about getting together for a collaboration? I noticed you guys record yourselves playing the Tab of the Week, which I was just gonna go ahead and try, but since we're all into recording we should try to write something together!

Oh, and as for how I learn a new song, I go for the tab always. Sometimes I'll try to figure it out by ear myself, but I'll most likely resort to ultimate-guitar.com. It's fun to see the similarities/differences between what I thought was played and what is actually played.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
This is a rad club! I'd like to join.

Username: Penatrait

Reason for joining: I've been playing guitar for close to seven years. I love playing in a band as lead or rhythm guitarist, and recent complications in the band may result in me trying my hand at bass guitar.

Preferred genre: Rock and Funk.

Also, I know I'm new, but what does everyone think about getting together for a collaboration? I noticed you guys record yourselves playing the Tab of the Week, which I was just gonna go ahead and try, but since we're all into recording we should try to write something together!

Oh, and as for how I learn a new song, I go for the tab always. Sometimes I'll try to figure it out by ear myself, but I'll most likely resort to ultimate-guitar.com. It's fun to see the similarities/differences between what I thought was played and what is actually played.

Welcome! Great to see you think the club is cool!

Well no ones actually decided to record themselves for tab of the month yet, you could be the first!

Tabs is how I go usually since my ear is pretty useless haha. And that site is what this clubs name pays homage to :)

-Important Note-
And I was honestly thinking of perhaps either opening another club for general musicians or opening this up to all instruments so we could get some collabs going because I also thought that'd be a really cool thing! Whats your thoughts? Keep this elitist and open up a general Musician club or open this up to all musicians?
Members what are your thoughts on this??

Back