• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
I guess the main idea of fairy being super effective against dragon is using the moon's power or something like that. There's even a move called moon blast and this picture on the official site.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Sooooooooo disappointed. Fairy is such a effeminate name and should have been called Lunar or Magic type.

Having it be a Dragon type check is stupid and make the game feel very 'kiddy'. 'Oh look, the magical fairies defeat the ferocious dragon.' Eat me GF, somehow you're making worse design decisions than the gen 5 games did.

I'm not against having a dragon type check at all, (Ice doesn't count as 90% of dragon-type pokemon can learn fire type moves) but choosing the fairy type was a laughable decision because it doesn't make sense.

Sooooooooo disappointed. Fairy is such a effeminate name and should have been called Lunar or Magic type.

Having it be a Dragon type check is stupid and make the game feel very 'kiddy'. 'Oh look, the magical fairies defeat the ferocious dragon.' Eat me GF, somehow you're making worse design decisions than the gen 5 games did.

I'm not against having a dragon type check at all, (Ice doesn't count as 90% of dragon-type pokemon can learn fire type moves) but choosing the fairy type was a laughable decision because it doesn't make sense.

Light-type is actually the best dub name for it... The dub team is stupid though and they always mess this stuff up for us...

-Sasuke-

ダッジアベンジャ
Years
Well i like it. Reminds me of fairy tail, since dragon slayers kill dragons. Maybe they got it from there. lol

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
Some might be a bit confused by the strength it has over dragon, even frustrated, I know I am, but in a battle field where dragons dominate, itself being its only true counter, little who can learn ice and dragon moves and are weak in stats if they do, Dragon is seen currently as similar to Psychic before it. Even though they have added Steel as a way to tank it, most dragons, obviously, can carry fire type moves so Steel is not enough, adding to the fact that most Steel is slow and specially weak. Fairy was their only way to nerf Dragon down a bit.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Now let's hope that Fairy does become the next Psychic and Dragon type...
I wonder if these four are all of the one's with the new type...hope there's more like Clefairy, and maybe even Pikachu...wonder how the anime will explain that one xD (Ash: Pikachu can learn Fairy moves...what's Fairy?)

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I really can't take this seriously because fairies kill dragons and now I'm thinking of Pokémon being some magical story world full of dragons and princes and wonderland creatures and ogres. Aka, Shrek: The Game.

Seriously though, I don't feel like having Fairy as a type makes very much sense. The others so far are okay; all based off real, general things with plenty of space for imagination (minus Dragon - but Dragon is badass anyway. Although honestly I always felt there to be a big lack of variation between Dragon types as it was) but this just feels so... restricting to me. What even qualifies as a fairy? When I think "fairy" I think something like Tinkerbell; a human form with wings and a magic wand. Either that or Navi from the LoZ games; in any case, something bright and flying with sparkles and fairy dust and other stuff like that. I really don't get why they felt they needed to bring a new type in, and honestly given some of the confirmed Fairy Pokémon (Gardevoir, Sylveon, Marill?) it feels like they're just chucking the type at... well, anything they can. I don't see what exactly makes these guys 'fairies' - mainly given that they're trying to build a type here off something which doesn't actually exist. I had the same issue with Dragons; they were cool but the actual typing made zero sense due to the lack of dragons in the real world. I never understood the logic behind dragons being weak to... well... dragons.

And regarding dragons - I'm glad that I'm not the only person who feels that the whole point of this type is to check Dragon-types. Which, honestly, wasn't worth a whole new type imo (and especially not when the fairy being strong against dragon thing makes no sense in the first place). They could've just introduced some better Ice-types, some sort of anti-Dragon items or moves or etc, but nahhh. They had to go screw everything up by throwing a whole new type which, as I keep saying, is in itself not possible to categorise due to it not existing in the first place.

...tl;dr I don't like it. I feel it's a really messy type due to the fact that it's impossible to say, with any solid reasoning, what a fairy is or what its advantages and disadvantages are and they could have done the same job by being more inventive in other areas.

Years
I'm surprised that people don't like the name. I like the name fine. It makes more sense than "Magic," "Lunar," or whatever else since those are already very Psychic-type and this new Fairy type seems to have a good representation from the Normal-types. If you read fairy tales and mythology and folklore and that stuff you know that fairies are quite diverse and can range from the Tinkerbells and leprechauns we know from kids movies to nasty, dirty trolls and evil, otherworldly, child-stealing elves.

I'm kinda glad that since they have decided to add a new type they're going back and revising a few old Pokemon to help balance things out.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
At first I too saw it as really being feminine etc., but it's kinda grown on me now. :) Idk why they confirmed Jigglypuff as being Fairy but not Clefairy. xD Perhaps it was too obvious? But yeah, I like it! :D It's just what we needed to spice up this generation. :)

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I think people are just resistant to change, really. Every generation they add new Pokemon with new typings, new moves, new mechanics... Sure, it's a bit late in the series, but I definitely think that a new type is the curve ball competitive battling needed. It might take a bit to get used to, but if you're a good competitive battler you'll work your way around it and use it to your advantage in no time.

That said, calling it "Lunar" would've been cool, but maybe too close to Dark.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years

Talk about overreaction. It sounds silly, sure. But you should look into the legend and lore behind fairies. Human kidnappings, sacrifices, magic, illusions, trickery, etc.

Their origins are less clear in the folklore, being variously dead, or some form of demon, or a species completely independent of humans or angels. Folklorists have suggested that their actual origin lies in a conquered race living in hiding, or in religious beliefs that lost currency with the advent of Christianity.

Much of the folklore about fairies revolves around protection from their malice, by such means as cold iron (iron is like poison to fairies, and they will not go near it).

Although in modern culture they are often depicted as young, sometimes winged, humanoids of small stature, they originally were depicted quite differently: tall, radiant, angelic beings or short, wizened trolls being two of the commonly mentioned forms.

tnfsf11

Why is Marill fairy though? He's a water poke ffs, the only Fairies should be (& their lines):
Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Chansey, Sylveon, Audino ...etc (any pink Pokemon except Mew) but not Marill & Gardevoir, this is ridiculous :/

Years
Marill is already in the fairy egg group, and we have an overabundance of Water Pokemon, and its entire evolutionary line is one type, and it has that storybook fairy kind of look and appeal.

Gardevoir, well, it still has a fairy tale kind of design and a certain sense of mystery.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I'm taking the news better than I thought I would. Now I'm just wondering why the official site says Jigglypuff is Normal/Fairy. I'd have thought it would become pure Fairy, but maybe that's just me.

And Marill, well...I hope Azuril stays Normal, that way it evolves into completely different dual types xD

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Well, that is unusual, considering that we haven't had a new type introduced since Generation II. Still, it's a wonderful idea. I also wonder if some moves will be reclassified to be the Fairy type, like for example Heal Pulse, Charm, Sweet Kiss, Sing, or Present. Maybe there will be a Hidden Power Fairy as well?

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2016
I like it. No sure about Marril being a fairy though, what? was hoping the new type would be new pokemon only for the region.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
"Uggh, Pokemon is getting really boring, they never change anything, all the Pokemon games are the same, same storyline, same mechanics, same yadda yadda yadda."
"They added a new type? Gamefreak, how dare you? This is blasphemy! How dare you change anything at all about my beloved franchise!"

And then people wonder why Gamefreak is afraid to change up the formula.

I am personally ecstatic that finally Gamefreak is bothering to change up the status quo for a bit. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon, but I was starting to think things were getting a little stale, you know? It's sort of embarrassing to look at other franchises that actually evolve greatly between games... while Pokemon remains more or less the same. But not this time! ...Hopefully.
I dislike the name "Light", and I love the name "Fairy". Although, I am surprised that in 2013 we still have people sexist enough to hate the type simply because they perceive it as effeminate... really? What part about "Fairy" has anything to do with females at all? I do understand if some people who think they are super macho or something are upset by Fairy's pink color (however shallow that argument may be), but I myself, personally, like pink.

I'm surprised that people don't like the name. I like the name fine. It makes more sense than "Magic," "Lunar," or whatever else since those are already very Psychic-type and this new Fairy type seems to have a good representation from the Normal-types. If you read fairy tales and mythology and folklore and that stuff you know that fairies are quite diverse and can range from the Tinkerbells and leprechauns we know from kids movies to nasty, dirty trolls and evil, otherworldly, child-stealing elves.

I'm kinda glad that since they have decided to add a new type they're going back and revising a few old Pokemon to help balance things out.

Talk about overreaction. It sounds silly, sure. But you should look into the legend and lore behind fairies. Human kidnappings, sacrifices, magic, illusions, trickery, etc.

YES YES THANK YOU SO MUCH, BOTH OF YOU.

I am starting to suspect that few people here oppose the Fairy type just because it's new or "unnecessary" or whatever. They only care it's called "Fairy". If it were called "Super Macho Masculine Badass" type, at least 50% of its opposers would be swooing all over it. While I agree Gamefreak may be choosing more feminine Pokemon to portray as Fairies, Tinkerbell really isn't an accurate depiction of real fairy folklore.

Last edited:

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
What's wrong with fairies being effeminate? I'm not sure why that's a criticism and I certainly don't consider it valid. Something being feminine doesn't exclude it from being strong or powerful.

I think it makes sense as a type, and I'm happy to see it. A 'Light' type could arguably crossover into other types, but Fairy stands up on it's own. I feel like Fairy as a type is actually more descriptive, there are Pokémon that could instantly be put into that category. And I'm not talking just the 'pink and girly' kind, but the Pokémon that have mystical/magical type powers that are hard to attribute to any of the existing types.

Overall, yay Fairy!

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I have no problems with it... but since when is "Fairy" a type of anything? It just sounds really awkward, imo and I think Gamefreak could have come up with something much better. Therein lies peoples' problems with the Fairy type, not the fact that it is "Fairy" but that it could be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. Game Freak has finally decided to step away from their regular formula, and instead of something cool, they just come out with this crap. THAT, I think, is what upsets people.

bashau

Distinct Phantom
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2022
i want dark to be strong against fairy
i want these Pokemon to be retyped as fairy: skitty audino meloetta chansey celfariy and lickitung

Back