• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking the Emerald Title Screen - Tutorial by KhaosKnight

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
Intro:

Hey everyone, after taking a nice break from making Pokemon Citrine I'm back to ROM hacking. I began seriously looking into the Emerald ROM since there is little to no information about it posted around here(or just about anywhere!). After some research I'm back to share my methods for editing the Pokemon Emerald Title Screen!

Not many have been able to fully modify the Emerald Title Screen (at least of what I've seen). So I took it upon myself to explore through the unLZ jungle of offsets and a hex editor to find the appropriate Tile Sets and Palettes for the Rayquaza background, the Pokemon banner, and the Emerald Version banner, and I'm here to share them with the community!

First we will need some tools, preferably the latest releases, and these offsets.

Code:
Rayquaza Titlescreen Offset: 53F058 unLZ # 152 (16 Colors)
Rayquaza Titlescreen Palette: DDE418 unLZ # - Not LZ'd

Pokemon Logo Offset: DDE690 unLZ # 2611 (256 Colors) 
Pokemon Logo Palette: DDE258 unLZ # - Not LZ'd

Emerald Version Offset: DDFD94 unLZ # 2612 (256 Colors) 
Emerald Version Palette: DDE438 unLZ # - Not LZ'd
Tools Needed:

• unLZ.gba
  • APE (Another Palette Editor)
  • FSF (Free Space Finder)
  • Photo Editing Software(Paint.NET, GIMP, Photoshop, Paint, etc.)
  • IfranView
  • NTME (Nameless Tile Map Editor)
  • VBA or simlar
  • The offsets above.

Rayquaza Background:
Spoiler:

The "Version" Banner:
Spoiler:

Closing:

Well that's just about all the information you will need to modify the Emerald Title Screen. There are only a few things left to look at which I'm still working on. I posted this in a hurry to get the information out there, so I'll be revising it sometime soon, maybe add more pics to the banner part. If you get lost feel free to ask questions and I'll try and help.

Special Thanks:

HackMew
D-Trogh
All of you guys for your support.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2012
The one thing im curious about when it comes to title screen hacks is how you incorporate animations into the flat image. For example, the offset for the raikou background, is the thunder and the clouds animated? and if not is there a specific way to go about doing that?

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
Bug I put the raw file but pokemon don't iniciate :S Please heeeellpppppp!!!!!!
anotherpower.deviantart.com/art/Bug-Pkmn-Emerld-S-316473021

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
Can I use your background? Just the background and no lightning or raikou or land. If yes, here is the picture:

Luna The Absol

Champion of Telea
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2013
this confuzles me.....though i did come from trying to insert Zekrom's cry into the game. I don't see any of this on my stuffs....my head hurtz!

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2014
When I click import on UNLZ, it just asks for a file. what do i do?

I am stuck, please reply. I am in unLZ, and when I click "import" it wants me to import a file, what do I do? Please help!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2014
Ok I figured it out. But when I try to load in my palette it says error: type "13" or something like that. Help?

stocko

Toast Engineer
Years
Hey, I'm trying to change the pokemon logo and I'm having a few issues. The image is showing up perfectly fine apart from the palettes not correctly displaying for some reason. I have loaded the correct palettes in APE but it hasn't changed the palette. Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Eren Jaeger

Pianoist
Years
Hey thanks! :D I've done it successfully for the 1st time :3 Hope you made
Pokemon ruby.. the tutorial I saw on pokemon ruby is not helping at all.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2015
when i try to import my .pal file to ape it says invalid palette loaded....plz help me

Crimnor

» imperishable
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 31, 2020
when i try to import my .pal file to ape it says invalid palette loaded....plz help me
Try to convert your palette to an actual format like .act or .pal using Photoshop or IrfanView. Both formats will work fine with APE.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2015
Try to convert your palette to an actual format like .act or .pal using Photoshop or IrfanView. Both formats will work fine with APE.
:P i dont knw how to do it...plz can u teach me???? i tried to turn it into .pal by irfanview bt still same...

Majesticz

» keepin' it simple
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 20, 2014
:P i dont knw how to do it...plz can u teach me???? i tried to turn it into .pal by irfanview bt still same...
I usually use Photoshop when it comes to palettes. Feel free to send me your palette file (including the image) via private message so I can look over it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2015
i hav loaded act file and clicked replace bt it doesnt change in rom...what to do???

Back