• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Often Do You Scan Your Computer For Malware?

PokéZoom

~Gotta Catch Em All
Years
How often do you scan your computer for malware/viruses/spyware/whatever?

I do a quick scan with MalwareBytes almost every day, I'm kinda paranoid about stuff like this. :P

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2019
I don't scan my computer anymore for viruses, malware, etc. and it's been like that for over two years now. If you're careful enough with what you're doing while using your computer than you should be safe. I've never had any problems with my OS during my last two upgrades to OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 ML. It'll likely continue until the next version which should be 10.9 or something.

Just enjoy your computer and that's it for me.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Every single day, man. It's vital. You'll never know the day your comp catches something. I always have my antivirus to check for spyware/malware/viruses/etc every time I start up the comp.

I may sound paranoid, but I've had a couple cases before! So, it's always good to stay on the safe side. ;)

Years
All of my computers scan weekly on Sundays at 4am.. that way I know that they scan at least once a week without me having to be disrupted by a virus scan.

Years
While I'm at uni it tends to be every two weeks, since I rarely do anything that could cause my computer to get infected. If I'm at home and I have the connection to go on a mad downloading spree I tend to do it either every day or every other day before I go to bed.

Gerri Shin

  
Years
I haven't initiated any virus/malware scan on my computers in over 3 years. That being said I do run a reverse firewall to aleart me to anything trying to "phone home" and my AV software runs in the background 24/7. so I think I'm pretty well safe.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I don't scan my netbook for any viruses, and stuff of that kind. I only scan the USBs I plug in.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I don't manually scan, but MalwareBytes pro does an active scan and AVG scans every so often... I generally don't pay much attention because I don't need to. They keep me safe... but I know what to do if I do get one, so not too worried about it.

Years
I can't remember the last time I did a manual scan, but I'd have to say maybe only 2 or 3 times in the past year. My computer says that it runs a background scan every night at 3 am, but I've never seen it actually doing it. But, I haven't had any real issues with my computer for a few years, so I assume it's doing its job.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
No, I haven't scanned my computer ever since I bought it like 5 years ago. I don't really have a anti-virus program on my computer, well, unless you count Windows Defender as one.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Manually? Maybe once every three or four months. I have software that scans my laptop constantly for these things, and individually scanning my files takes the better part of 4-5 hours, and I can't do anything else in the meantime, so I rarely do it. I need my laptop during the day, and I don't want to leave it running overnight.

I figure if there is anything I need to know about, the monthly report I get will tell me, or I'll get a pop-up in the corner of my screen telling me not to download what I'm trying to download, or view the site in question. It works well enough, and since I pay monthly insurance on my laptop (which is a lifesaver, because I accidentally broke the screen once and it would have cost a fortune to replace it) I'm not TOO concerned about it. At least, not too much...

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I scan my desktop daily while I'm at work and my laptop maybe once a month. I'm not overly concerned about my desktop's safety or anything; scanning just makes me feel like I'm being productive while I'm not home.

Every now and then I'll find one malware/adware file, but that's it.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
I usually scan my computers for malware/virus every 2-3 months. I just recently upgraded my computer to Windows 8 which is apparently more secure than Windows 7.
I have my data on a separate drive to my operating system, so I'm not worried if my O/S gets infected, I just format the drive and re-install O/S.
I may swap to solid state drives and use my 2TB DATA drive as an external USB drive.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
About once a month is good for me. I would scan a little more often, but I've never really gotten anything terrible since I started using an efficient anti-virus.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
We have Kapersky Internet Security and it just did what's called a Full Scan 4 hours ago and what's called a Critical Area Scan 17 hours ago, and I beleive it basically scans the computer practically everyday or so. We have dealt with viruses and malware on previous computers so it's to to make sure the computer's safe this time. When I get a computer of my own , I probably will get a anti-virus thing that scans it as often as possible.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I usually scan my PC if my antivirus detected something wrong with the downloaded file. And, I usually scan if I plug in USB flash disks.

Back