• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do your friends/relatives know you write fan fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
If any of my real friends knew I wrote imaginary tales of pokemon they would disown me. Ha ha! What about you? What do you think the ones close to you would say if they read some of your works? Would they think you're werid?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
My parents know. I know my mother wants me to write original stories and get published and earn a lot of money, but there is no way that is going to happen. I'm perfectly happy making a career out of my current job, and I don't have the want or the need to be a published writer.

As for my friends that I talk to more offline, it's never come up in a conversation with them. But if they did know, they'd just say "Hunter's weird, as usual" and move on. They do know about my Sims, and don't care about how much I talk about my Sims, so I'd figure fanfiction is no different.

I don't know what would happen if anyone I know in real life read my fics. Never thought about having them do so. What I write I know I'd share with the friends I talk to more online, as they're most likely to "get it," but never thought about giving a copy to my friends offline.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
My family have a bit of an idea but they've never seen it. A number of my rl friends do know I write fics (even some not into Pokemon or writing); in fact one of them beta-read parts of my chaptered fic. It doesn't bother me much if they know or not.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Nobody knows. Well, my brother has his suspicions and accusations, which I shrug off without more thought. If my friends figured out I wrote Pokemon fanfics, I don't think some would be that surprised. They might think, "Whatever" and move on. Or, for my more cynical friends, they'd berate me about this and that, blah blah blah, and that's that.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
My parents, brother, boyfriend and a couple of friends do, and my mom has been reading some of them. I don't really treat it as a secret, so I think it's come up a couple of other times, too, though not in any kind of detail (more just "So what's on this Pokémon website of yours?" "Oh, analysis of algorithms, stories, stuff like that").

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
About five of my friends know, and that's it - two or three of whom have read parts of my fic. I haven't told my parents - whenever I broach the subject as an unrelated topic, they seem quite dismissive of it. I guess they'd see it as a waste of time and effort as I can't profit from it for obvious reasons.

I managed to get my sister writing Doctor Who fanfiction, though . . . I haven't told her about my 300-page Pokemon fic, but she at least knows I've thought about doing it.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I have a giant group of friends that like pokemon still and draw pokemon and all that and I am a Senior so are they. My parents know I do and they don't say anything negative about it.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Nobody in my family or friendship circle knows. They likely think that I've done nothing of the sort ever since a comic I co-wrote with a cousin back in 1999. And I intend to keep it that way, in particular if I'm writing for the Pokémon fandom, which unfortunately has quite a bad rep where I live.

It does have a cost though. No one physically around me can understand why I am sometimes not available for queries or occupied with apparent projects of nothingness in my spare time. I simply can't (afford to) account to my immediate meatspace for the time I take to develop my literary vein. Which means I get a lot of "get your lazy ass off the chair" "criticism" a lot.

soranium21

Eternally Hungry
Years
None of them do. All they know is that I read. A lot. Indiscriminately. Yes, people, that includes what's on the back of your soda cans. While I don't think they'd have a beef with it, I'd rather have somebody with common interests see my works than to force it on somebody who's not interested.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
They used to know that I wrote pokemon fanfiction, but that was when I was a kid. Now, I don't know what they think I write, but I certainly don't mention that I write fanfiction anymore. It seems a bit embarrassing and as if I should have moved on to original fiction. I've at least started writing original fiction, but always get dragged back to fanfiction somehow.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
If I ever told my mom and dad, and a few people that would probably judge me to death. I would be judged to death, and that feels horrible. Only a few people knows XP

Psycho Bugler

Jew Extrordinaire!
Years
I started getting into roleplaying in high school. I first told my best friend that I was getting into fan fiction and roleplaying and he told me it was stupid and that I was being a gay nerd. My second fan fiction undertaking was a comedy of the G/S/C events. I showed it to my friend and he was like "this is the funniest thing I've ever read." Then he joined that forum and ended up reading some more of my fan fictions and told me that it was pretty awesome.

I got to college and my friends made fun of me for roleplaying. They copied the signtups I made which they found through my computer and posted them all over the residence hall. Pissed me off a little, but I got over it. I try not to make it too public, because writing is my happy place that my stresses of life can't interfere with.

It sucks that most roleplaying and fan fiction writing has a sexual connotation to it which is probably why so many people look down on it.

Lieutenant Unstable

Camelot Castaway
Years
Yeah, pretty much everyone knows I write fanfiction, haha. I actually got my siblings into writing fanfiction years ago. I even met a few people at uni who write it, and I usually am the first to read a friend of mines fic.

The Immortal One

Life... Challenge Accepted!
Years
Of my family, only my brother knows about my fanfiction. As for my friend offline, (Yes only one friend...) he knows of my work. So in total, only two people that I know are aware of my fanfiction writing.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I hope your mother didn't go snooping in your stuff without you knowing. That would be pretty bad. :c

As for this thread, it's well past the month cut-off date. When you're posting in forums, keep the rules in mind so you don't bump old threads. Just check the last post date to see how old a thread is.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back