• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Game Difficulty

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Seriously guys, have you not payed attention to my post? There really isn't a need for a difficulty setting in a Pokemon game at all; that's why we have post-game material, and that's why Nuzlocke Challenges exist. It's meant to be a simple game for everyone of all ages. Extra Creditz has provided a better explanation about why the difficulty setting in BW2 was unnecessary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWFzFsHc75U&list=UUCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg&index=114

Pokemon X and Y shouldn't be blindly regarded as bad just because of the lack of a difficulty setting. It's like complaining about the Gamecube lack of backwards compatibility with NES games.

Even so, we don't know that they're not going to have a difficulty setting. Because hey it turns out it could happen and everyone wins except those who don't want one.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Of course there's no need, just like there's no need for auto-sort features in the bag, or pokemon following you in the overworld, etc. Doesn't mean that people out there wouldn't appreciate it though, and given it has happened in b2w2 they're not too unlikely.

Doesn't for instance change this:
It's meant to be a simple game for everyone of all ages.
Anyone can play it as they want regardless of there being an option for difficulty or not. Some people want less simple, so offering another way isn't bad of Game Freak to do here, or leastways I don't follow why it is.

Of course, X&Y shouldn't be badly regarded for not having it either as one can always make their own difficulty if they want in how they play. But I didn't think that was happening here...yet anyways. =p

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I didn't use them. I want a challenging game right from the start. Making the game too easy makes the game boring. I'd like at least DPPt difficulty in these games. Any less would be a disappointment.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Seriously guys, have you not payed attention to my post? There really isn't a need for a difficulty setting in a Pokemon game at all; that's why we have post-game material, and that's why Nuzlocke Challenges exist. It's meant to be a simple game for everyone of all ages. Extra Creditz has provided a better explanation about why the difficulty setting in BW2 was unnecessary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWFzFsHc75U&list=UUCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg&index=114

Pokemon X and Y shouldn't be blindly regarded as bad just because of the lack of a difficulty setting. It's like complaining about the Gamecube lack of backwards compatibility with NES games.

Well, hey, I didn't get to reply to you earlier, but, you know what, you make a very fair point! Perhaps there really is no need for a difficulty setting because of the material provided in games?

But, I'd just like to consider this; what if the post game material was harder? In addition, the Challenges that you see have no barring on the actual game itself; we don't have an option to choose a "nuzlock" setting or something like that in the actual game, y'know? The are to kind of rules that we've made and follow ourselves in our own risks. There can be a lot of material in harder modes that you don't see in easier modes, such as better movesets, or just better and more EV'd efficient pokemon in general, or hey, maybe a storyline that has a plot that is harder to come by? So, I'm just saying, perhaps the difficulty can play more of a role than just an average playthrough?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years

We don't NEED a difficulty setting, but with a lot of the changes that the games have introduced as of late (no poison damage outside of battle for example), the games have gotten much easier than they ever have been. Having a setting to increase the difficulty is what a lot of players want because the games have changed progressively over time to meet the demands of the newer players of the games, but some of us want a challenge that's harder.

On the post-game issue, it's usually not a very difficult quest for us to partake in, or levels are almost irrelevant (like the Battle Frontier), so that doesn't really provide any additional challenge. Even from the extra challenge it does give, that's only for the last 10% of the game remaining, where a lot of us would like to see it throughout the entire game.

We wouldn't regard them as bad because of a lack of a difficulty setting, but if the games are too easy and there isn't any way to add extra challenge that's in the games programming then many people wouldn't be happy. Even if they just made the game challenging from the get-go, we wouldn't need the difficulty settings period.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
We don't NEED a difficulty setting, but with a lot of the changes that the games have introduced as of late (no poison damage outside of battle for example), the games have gotten much easier than they ever have been. Having a setting to increase the difficulty is what a lot of players want because the games have changed progressively over time to meet the demands of the newer players of the games, but some of us want a challenge that's harder.

On the post-game issue, it's usually not a very difficult quest for us to partake in, or levels are almost irrelevant (like the Battle Frontier), so that doesn't really provide any additional challenge. Even from the extra challenge it does give, that's only for the last 10% of the game remaining, where a lot of us would like to see it throughout the entire game.

We wouldn't regard them as bad because of a lack of a difficulty setting, but if the games are too easy and there isn't any way to add extra challenge that's in the games programming then many people wouldn't be happy. Even if they just made the game challenging from the get-go, we wouldn't need the difficulty settings period.

The main storyline was also made easier for competitive players to start developing their teams earlier, which was perhaps what GF had in mind when creating Gen V (after becoming more aware of its adult audience) and why it's the most controversial gen yet. Another note, there's no known traditional JRPG that has a difficulty setting, only Tactical RPGs, Action RPGs, and Strategy RPGs, where the characters are free to roam anywhere on the battlefield, as well as freedom to make enemies attack more often. Again, just look at the video by Extra Creditz. They provided excellent examples about game difficulties, as well as other game mechanics in their videos.

Back