• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What I'm Working On

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Also make sample areas to activate the Leafeon evolution, Glaceon evolution, Magnezone/Probopass evolutions and (maybe) Giratina area where it have its origin form.

I currently don't have any plans for a second region, although I think one should be included (it doesn't really need anything in it, though). Adding a harbour would be a nice idea, where the surfable water is at the south. As you suggested, the player could also unlock other destinations in the same region (which uses the "don't show map details for this point unless Switch X is on" feature). The unlocking/item obtaining can be done by/from NPCs also in the harbour, for convenience.

Deoxys would be a good example, as there can also be meteorites to inspect which change its form. The other Pokémon can be something like the Shiny Gyarados (i.e. use a script to force it to be always shiny). One can return every 24 hours, and the other can return upon setting a certain switch (which is then unset).

The only problem is that there's currently no support in Essentials for changing the Town Map's graphics during a game. I'm not entirely sure how best to go about it (specifically, how to make it easiest for the user to use).
I suggest to also make a pokémon sample event when the pokémon isn't a visible event and/or the pokémon change, like the Emerald Southern Island.

For the two islands, how about only one hidden?

The best thing than I thought about map change was something like:

Code:
# Define to unlock new maps for regions when the switch is on. The regions counts starts in 0 (or 1):  Use Region, picture name, switch
MAPCHANGES=[
  [1,"map2",50],
  [1,"map3",51]
]

or you can use the hansiec idea plus a number for region.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I like what you've got going on here Maruno - The map looks great, and the general shape of the town map is alright, though I WOULD put another island. to give the water routes a reason. I'm not sure what would go there, but it would just look better in my opinion.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I think a Sootopolis thing in the deep water area would be nice. That is, an island you have to dive underneath to access the middle of. This showcases the underwater transfers. It'd just be a small island, though.

The map-modifying solution I came up with is similar to FL's, except the pictures added are only small parts of a region (no need for pictures that are larger than necessary). The base map is loaded as normal, and the extra parts are layered on top if necessary.

Do all maps in the game always show the same configuration? That is, if I unlock Newmoon Island, does it start showing up in the Poké Centre's wall maps as well as the player's Town Map? I think it wouldn't, and that the wall maps only ever show the base map.

Maruno

Years
Since this thread is called "What I'm Working On", I thought I'd also show another little something I've been tweaking.

Better graphics, new game rules, a way to set game rules, and one or two bug fixes.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Since this thread is called "What I'm Working On", I thought I'd also show another little something I've been tweaking.

Better graphics, new game rules, a way to set game rules, and one or two bug fixes.
You must love the Triple Triad system. :p

Maruno

Years
I admit, it's growing on me. I've only spent some of today on it, and I'm finished now. Still, there's 6 possible rules, 3 ways of deciding the prizes (1 random card, all cards of your colour, winner takes all), a way to define the opponent's deck, and a way to set the prize card for winning.

It should be much more playable now.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
I admit, it's growing on me. I've only spent some of today on it, and I'm finished now. Still, there's 6 possible rules, 3 ways of deciding the prizes (1 random card, all cards of your colour, winner takes all), a way to define the opponent's deck, and a way to set the prize card for winning.

It should be much more playable now.

I never quite played it, I barely even know the rules, I just know there are pokemon cards on the board.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday

Several new possibilities for developers, nice!

I think that a way to use the player party as the cards would be very nice.

What you think about making also Tetra Master (the Final Fantasy IX variation with 4x4 table)?

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Several new possibilities for developers, nice!

I think that a way to use the player party as the cards would be very nice.

What you think about making also Tetra Master (the Final Fantasy IX variation with 4x4 table)?

ahh tetra master is awesome! :la:
but dont forget the official pokemon minigames like the unown puzzle...
right now i am working to rip some attack animations from BW but i have a few of the old puzzles redone to better graphics...
they are made so that they would fit perfectly in the essentials screen...
maruno if you want to see i can send you the the images so you can judge yourself if its worth adding to essentials... ^^

Maruno

Years
Tetra Master just looks like more of the same, and I'm not interested in creating another mini-game anyway.

You don't need my permission to show me something you think should be added to Essentials, you know. :)

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Tetra Master just looks like more of the same, and I'm not interested in creating another mini-game anyway.

You don't need my permission to show me something you think should be added to Essentials, you know. :)

The only other mini games left is basically pokemon contests, an ruins of alpha if its ever going to be in development anyways.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
The only other mini games left is basically pokemon contests, an ruins of alpha if its ever going to be in development anyways.

I believe Help-14 made a Ruins of Alph puzzle script, it may need updating though. Would be nice to be incorporated into Essentials. I don't know if HGSS RoA is much different, but here is Help-14's script:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53284931/Unown Puzzle_2.rar

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
I believe Help-14 made a Ruins of Alph puzzle script, it may need updating though. Would be nice to be incorporated into Essentials. I don't know if HGSS RoA is much different, but here is Help-14's script:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53284931/Unown Puzzle_2.rar
I just looked at it, there is a few things wrong with it. Mostly the mouse, and the other ones are just visual things like red outline on what the player is currently holding/choosing.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I just looked at it, there is a few things wrong with it. Mostly the mouse, and the other ones are just visual things like red outline on what the player is currently holding/choosing.

do you think you can make it work with the current version of essentials?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Everyone DOES remember that essentials has like, four Mini-games now by default, right? That's quite enough of them when the actual battle scripts still need so much TLC.

Maruno, do you know how wish works in essentials? I don't have the time to test it right now, but it SHOULD Heal for half of the User's maximum HP. In Gen III and IV, it healed for for half of the TARGET's HP(Making it much less effective for healing). That is probably how it works.

Maruno

Years
Everyone DOES remember that essentials has like, four Mini-games now by default, right? That's quite enough of them when the actual battle scripts still need so much TLC.
Six: Triple Triad, Slot Machine, Voltorb Flip, Lottery, Mining, and that sumo Duel thing.

I agree, mini-games shouldn't be my priority. I'll add ones made by other people, though, if they're up to scratch.

Maruno, do you know how wish works in essentials? I don't have the time to test it right now, but it SHOULD Heal for half of the User's maximum HP. In Gen III and IV, it healed for for half of the TARGET's HP(Making it much less effective for healing). That is probably how it works.
Wish currently works as it did in Gen 3. I've made a note on the wiki's Function codes page about it.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I agree with Ruins of Alph Puzzle inclusion, the Help-14's script or a new one, this is very easy to be done.

Tetra Master (virtually) is a 4x4 version with some random position in game board that can't be put cards.

Maruno

Years
I've just finished improving the bridges in Essentials. They now work even better than in my tutorial, in that they're much more flexible to use and now support dependent events. What might make them harder to work with, however, are that the ends of a bridge which you can go both over and under need to be "capped" by two sets of events, and vertical bridges involve an invisible tile used to override certain passabilities.

The only inadequacy of the bridges now is that reflections in still water beneath the bridge aren't shifted downwards to give the impression that the bridge has a height. It's always been like that, though, and such situations can easily be avoided in mapping. And if I'm honest, I haven't actually tried to fix this yet, so it may be possible.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
There's something that occured to me recently.

You know how a trainer is required to have two Pokémon to participate in a double battle? In Pokemon Colosseum and XD, there is no such limitation. Would it be possible to allow 1 vs 2 or 2 vs 1 battles in essentials? I think that's a feature that should be available.

Maruno

Years
Am I the only one who, whenever someone mentioned Pokémon XD, reads it as "ahaa!" in their head?

It's probably possible to have unbalanced double battles, although I suspect many scripts would need to be changed to allow for the missing Pokémon (knowing exactly what you've got to work with, 2 Pokémon per side, makes setting up the battles so much easier). It also seems rather unfair. It's not something I'd really look into unless I've got nothing else to do.

Back