• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Biweekly Haiku Contest II (Revised after haitus)

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
haikubanner.png

Banner by DNA on PokeBeach

Biweekly Haiku Contest II

Rules and Entry Information

1.) Signups are determined on a first-come/first-serve basis. Entrants must submit an entry when they ask to signup. Spots will not be saved for people, even if they ask to reserve them

2.) This is a haiku-only contest, meaning that poems must meet the requirement for American/English haikus. The form is based on the amount of syllables, parts that a word sounds like it's broken up into, per line (specifically, five syllables on the first line, seven on the second, and five on the last). If a poem is one or two syllables under/over, they might still be accepted at the host's discretion, but please try to keep track of how many syllables are in each word you use.

3.) Poems must incorporate a select theme each round. Due to writers' interpretations of themes, entries will not be turned down so long as the theme is at least referenced in the poem. However, poems that have nothing to do with the theme at all will be disqualified.

4.) The submission period ends one week from the day this thread has been started. After which, the voting period begins and lasts an additional week. Votes are to be submitted via PM or VM to the host (i.e. Incinermyn) in the form of a ballot. Each person is allowed to vote for up to three poems, and contestants ARE allowed to vote for their own entries. Once the voting deadline passes, votes will be tallied and the three entries with the most votes will be announced. In the event of a tie or lack of votes, the host will cast the deciding vote.

Round Theme: Nostalgia
Entry Deadline: Saturday, December 28, 2013 (12:00PM/Noon, CST)
Voting Deadline: Saturday, January 4, 2014 (12:00PM/Noon, CST).

*Rules, timescales, and other parameters are subject to change without notice.

Entry List

1.) By Slayr231
A fond remembrance,
Of the slightly forgotten,
Holding onto one.

2.) By Strawberry
Oh, blue lollipop,
How I miss your sweet flavor,
Happiness is youth.

3.) By Merak
Lively sea and earth,
Its truly a pleasant dream,
May we never part.

4.) By Wobbu
I can remember,
when I first played Sapphire.
May always beat me.

5.) By Vociferocity
I think of your eyes,
Though I have since found home in
Someone else's heart.

6.) By TD
Memories are pleasant,
Trees that are emerald green and fresh,
Rivers clear and blue.

7.) By BlahISuck
i don't need a hat
or umbrella for rain just
happy memories

8.) By Zephyrion
The taste of candy,
Wonderful tomfoolery;
True serenity

Last edited:

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
As it stands, it's just one entry per person each round. I would allow more, but this is supposed to just be a quick-round contest.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
A fond remembrance,
Of the slightly forgotten,
Holding onto one.

It took me a while to get started, but once I got my idea, this was surprisingly easy. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad sign, but let's just agree with that's good. For my sake of course.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Updated! Hopefully more people enter this round. It doesn't take many, just a few to make it a contest. I'm just wondering if I should've instituted the "fifteen entry" limit again, just to entice people. It seemed to make everyone post crazily last time.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Give it some time first, I suggest. Besides, it's nearly Christmas, that may well have its own impact on people not posting straightaway.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Stumbled across this thread accidentally due to a misclick. Actually came up with a haiku off the top of my head after seeing the theme. xD

Oh, blue lollipop,
How I miss your sweet flavor,
Happiness is youth.

Just for fun. :3

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Lively sea and earth,
Its truly a pleasant dream,
May we never part.

I got bored so I decided to post here. :D

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I can remember,
when I first played Sapphire.
May always beat me. :[

It's nostalgic because Sapphire was what got me hooked on Pokémon ten years ago :3
May's Grovyle kept sweeping my team on Route 110 so I made a new game and chose Treecko haha.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
haikus are such a fun exercise in sparse poetry. it's always fun to see what I end up editing my ideas down to.

I think of your eyes,
Though I have since found home in
Someone else's heart.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Updated!

Give it some time first, I suggest. Besides, it's nearly Christmas, that may well have its own impact on people not posting straightaway.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound impatient. But, Christmas is also a time where a lot of people have off and time to enter contests like this, though I get your point too.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
Memories are pleasant,
Trees that are emerald green,
Rivers clear and blue.

Thought I might give this a try. Is it fine though?

Last edited:

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Memories are pleasant,
Trees that are emerald green and fresh,
Rivers clear and blue.

Thought I might give this a try. Is it fine though?

I'll allow it. Just know that the first line is one syllable over ("Me-mor-ies" has three syllables, while "plea-sant" has two), and the second is two syllables over ("Em-er-ald" is a three-syllable word, so the "and fresh" at the end of the line could be eliminated). I won't be overly picky, though, since I originally ran this as a haiku AND short-poem contest on another forum.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
The taste of candy,
Wonderful tomfoolery;
True serenity

i absolutely adore haikus. too bad i didn't see the last one though :(

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Updated! Just a reminder that the deadline is Saturday.

@Zephyrion: The last one was over a month ago, so it's no surprise you missed it.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Voting is over with, and here are the results.

Final Results
First Place: BlahISuck with 3 points
Second Place: Zephyrion with 2 points
Third Place (tie): Strawberry and Vecoferocity with 1 point apiece

Back