• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Advent of New Art Style In BW?

Is Ken Sugimori's art style gradually evolving with BW?

• Total voters

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Advent of New Sugimori Art Style In BW?

Um...I don't know where this question would be best posed...it primarily relates to BW, I think, but Pokemon General might be an alternative if this isn't suitable for the BW subforum.

Anyway...I was looking at Iris's artwork by the artist Ken Sugimori , and the style looked a bit different from what I'm used to. I checked the Bulbagarden Archives for any other images, but most of those seemed to be anime-influenced images. For comparison, here is Iris and Touko/White (another BW character from the same game as Iris) alongside Dawn, the female player character from Generation IV (who, IMO, is similar in stature to Iris):

Iris:

Black_White_Iris.png

Touko/White:
Black_White_Touko.png

Dawn (spoilered due to size):
Spoiler:

Personally, what I typically use to identify Sugimori artwork are the eyes. Dawn and Touko's eyes look very similar with an oval/elliptical, evoking the art style used since FireRed/LeafGreen, IIRC. From what I have read, Sugimori's two art styles to date have been the Akira Toriyama-ish artwork from RBY to GSC (and Ruby/Sapphire to an extent) and the newer developed artwork from FRLG to HGSS.

With BW, however, the artwork seems to be a developing into a new style. Iris's eyes look different than Dawn and Touko's and has a more circular shape, from my perspective, with the image seeming to have a different feel overall. Other Gym Leaders and non-playable characters seem to display this attribute as well, but I am avoiding spoilers for the most part, and Iris was the first one I encountered the change.

Anyway, I was surprised and intrigued because I thought the rest of the artwork would be consistent with Touya and Touko's style, but apparently they partially seem like oddballs when compared to other BW characters.

So, discuss if you think Sugimori's artwork is changing with BW. Is it evolving into a new style that we could be seeing more of in the years to come?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I can't really tell the difference between the old and new Sugimori artwork styles, to be honest, other than the eyes.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think that's a pretty interesting change. I hadn't really noticed the differences between Touko and Iris.

Touko's art actually reminds me more of Crystal's trainer art than anything else (and not really any other games), which is a sort of step back, imo, then you've got Iris, which looks much well, cleaner than Touko. I think this may be due to the fact that Game Freak is not quite ready to change the main protagonists images and instead "experiment" with the other characters, or at least that's the only way it makes sense to me. In a way, I'm not quite sure whether I'm ready to part with the art style of Touko, though if the third game does introduce a third protagonist and it follows the art style of Iris and other characters, well, all I can say is that'll be interesting.

Something about Iris' art feels "off", but I can't quite put my finger on it, though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021

Something about Iris' art feels "off", but I can't quite put my finger on it, though.

There is difference...but I don't think it's massive. Just something off....

actually do you think Iris looks almost disney like? More so than the other two girls anyway.

The colours used on Iris seem much brighter and less subdued than on the other two girls too.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I can't really tell the difference between the old and new Sugimori artwork styles, to be honest, other than the eyes.

Well if you're talking about the RBY to GSC styled art, it's a lot more "blocky" and squared off compared to todays artwork of the characters.

But the newer stuff compared to the supposed BW style seems the same to me. I honestly can't see it... maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
One thing's for sure, I think Sugimori's depiction of Iris is disgraceful >__> She looks 10 and... just look at her!

Yes, I think we all know Sugimori's art is changing and he doesn't deserve to draw my favorite characters.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Well if you're talking about the RBY to GSC styled art, it's a lot more "blocky" and squared off compared to todays artwork of the characters.

But the newer stuff compared to the supposed BW style seems the same to me. I honestly can't see it... maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
No, I wasn't comparing the R/B/Y/G/S/C to the newer gens; I was comparing the Gen IV art and the Gen V art. They look similar to me.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I can see where you're coming from with the character design changes, and I think that for what it's worth, it does look pretty decent. Definitely different - lighter colors overall, not so vibrant. A little thicker lines, I think. And then the eyes.

For what it's worth, my personal favorite Sugimori styles remain I and III, though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think it's changing as well, when I was looking at the art work of RSE Pokemon and BW(G) I noticed that the new artwork seems to use darker shades of color opposed to lighter colors.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
There's something different about that Iris art. I can't really point at it, but I know there's something different about it when compared to other Gen III-V art, especially when, you know, compared to Touko. Must be the edges and muffled edges that's doing it.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Iris' lines are rounder, her colors are more pastel, and she does have a different coloring style. Perhaps they just drew the characters Black and White early and made everyone else later on...

Moonlord

The ........MewTwo
Years
  • Age 31
  • LA
  • Seen Feb 6, 2011
I can feel like there is something different but every time I look I can't see it.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
Well between Touko and Dawn, you can see how they look like a different nationality. It is obvious that Touko has been given a much more Caucasian look compared to Dawns Asian looking design. I like this because it really shows how Unova is like a completely different continent to the rest of the regions, and is making it seem more like the real world.

Iris's art is horrid. As AdvancedK47 said, she just looks like a 10 year old girl, not a dragon gym leader.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I've noticed a change for the worse in some of the Pokemon art. One example is Hitomoshi.

To me, it just looks poorly done and I don't really like it. It looks really flat and I think more effort could've been put into it. It just doesn't compare to other Pokemon drawn by Sugi.

Opticgoo

Ignorance is my best friend.
Years
I think Ken is just experimenting, but am I the only one that kind of likes Iris? She looks like a 10 year old girl, but she has the feel of a careless, fun girl who has a very powerful team, I like that.

Haonn

hello, zombie ♥
Years

I thought that Iris was 10 years old ;-;

I don't really mind the differences, I mean he's probably just experimenting. His style really did change a lot from the RBY days to now...

Back