• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Super Rising Thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
I got to say, that's one impressive story. And the extra recruits who join you also have some interesting backstories. But if you can recruit more than 6 Pokemon, how will you be able to switch members of your party?

And I got an idea: Since you said there were flashes that eradicated everything in their paths, maybe you could make some tiles that look like patches of burnt grass? A few smashed buildings?

Anyhow, this hack looks awesome. Only wonder what the gameplay's gonna be like.

Thanks for the comments ^^ As for the recruits - I've already come up with a solution to that problem. My original plan was to have it so you could only have five main recruits, but when I realized that people might not like having so little customization in who they fight with (and that many RPGs let you cycle through a group of fighters to rearrange your team whenever you like), what I did to solve that problem is have certain bushes function like Lanette's PC (the fact you can collect only a finite number of items in Ruby also made me realize having a place to put your items was a good idea ^^' ). You can decide which team members are "active" (as in, they'll appear for you to battle with) and which are "on reserve" (are still travelling with you and will appear on over world events, but won't be on the active battle roster). My ideal situation would block you from being able to put "yourself" in the "PC," but I'm not sure how to do that ^^' So for the time being unless I can figure out a solution, you're able to put yourself on the "reserve" list (though you'll obviously still appear on the overworld XD ).

As for tiles like that - I've already been working on them the past couple days, where scripting took a back seat and I put my efforts into finishing more sprites and tiles. I haven't put a map together using some of these new tiles yet, but when I have I'll get some more screenshots :)

To Naturekeeper: I finished the Pichu's backsprite (and three frontsprites - one for battle, and two different ones for your "trainer card" ) the other day, ribbon and all. ^^ Thank you for offering, though! :)

In other news - finally, some creatures other than 'Chus have overworld sprites now. I finished the Pachirisu shown earlier, and also added in Ledyba, Spearow, and a recruitable character named Freya, a Pidgeotto whom you encounter very early on but cannot have join you until later. When I get more done concerning her, I'll post her sprites, stats, and bits of backstory. ^^ I'm also gearing up for some story-progressing scripts and "trainer" battles :)

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
@Jhonnyduffboy - Thanks for the compliments ^^ As for the different palleted trees...it's a very easy, simple matter to do that. I have two palettes consisting mostly of varying shades of greens and browns, and some trees are colored with one palette while others are colored with, well, the other :) Use the Block Editor in Advance Map to make tiles where the different types of trees overlap and hey presto! There you have it :)

Anyway, I've updated the first post with smaller, better screenshots ^^ And here are some more screenshots to show my latest work:

Image8-3.png

Since you have a set gender in this game, you're simply asked "which picture you like better" rather than "are you a boy or a girl." ^^

Image14-3.png

Walking along Dapple Path, the first route in the game. Thanks to advice that I've received, the grass placement is more random than it was previously.

Image3-1.png

Uh-oh! It's a Flash-born Wurmple! What will you do? ...Well, if I were you, I'd unleash the Super Rising Thunder upon it XD You can see that the player's ear now sports a nifty ribbon ^^

Image6-5.png

We've left Dapple Path behind and have arrived in Pikpik Grove. Hey! It's a Ledyba! ^__^

Image7-2.png

Normally, there would be a script active here that would make those pesky Spearow keep you from proceeding. But I bypassed that for the sake of a screenshot. :) Here, we have the very beginning of another route, Golden Trail.

Last edited:

Blue Beedrill

Im Beeeeding you.....
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2010
Nice new screens.
Im really liking your games tiles.
The only thing i don like is how big the screens are and how they have a sort of blur look.
Which emulator do you use? VBA is the best or are you taking print scan of them if you are try using the scren capture option on the emulator.
Just for better quality.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Nice new screens.
Im really liking your games tiles.
The only thing i don like is how big the screens are and how they have a sort of blur look.
Which emulator do you use? VBA is the best or are you taking print scan of them if you are try using the scren capture option on the emulator.
Just for better quality.
She is using VBA, but is probably taing screens with Ctrl + PrtScr.
There is an option in VBA which takes screenshots.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Sorry to say, but you are using quite a few tiles that are off-limits. I don't want to sound like an ass, but Kyledove does have some off-limit tiles. Apart from that, this game looks awesome. Tiles, OWs, and the general idea is nice. Keep it up.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Sorry to say, but you are using quite a few tiles that are off-limits. I don't want to sound like an ass, but Kyledove does have some off-limit tiles. Apart from that, this game looks awesome. Tiles, OWs, and the general idea is nice. Keep it up.

Off-limit tiles? *is puzzled, since I got most of those Kyledove tiles from this site (which seems to exist only in cache form at the moment) where they were implied to be "free"* The other tiles, not counting the ones made by me, were made by WesleyFG (also from the site above) and Saurov (from here), as labelled in the first post. Other places where I may have found tiles were on this forum or Google Image Search over the years, or the Spriter's Resource, where I could have picked up things that may not have been free along with the free stuff, without even knowing it...now I feel like a criminal :(

I really wasn't intending to be a thief and I don't want to remain one...can I be shown the off-limit tiles so I can remove them?

Last edited:

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Yeah, that site has a history of stealing tiles. Any tiles on this set are off-limits.
Spoiler:

Thanks so much! ^__^ I thought the site above was affiliated with Kyledove and WesleyFG for some reason, and I didn't realize at all that they were hosting the tiles without permission and that we weren't allowed to use them. I'll fix this right away and will post new screenshots with the off limit tiles removed - thank you again for letting me know!

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Thanks so much! ^__^ I thought the site above was affiliated with Kyledove and WesleyFG for some reason, and I didn't realize at all that they were hosting the tiles without permission and that we weren't allowed to use them. I'll fix this right away and will post new screenshots with the off limit tiles removed - thank you again for letting me know!
Yeah, I know. Sorry if I sounded like an ass, but if he wanted to be an ass, he could have sued you...and you don't want that, do you? :P I know it must be a downer to have to replace those tiles, but it'll look fine without 'em. ^-^
I forgot to mention that everything looks great. I love the way you combined the trees in your maps. ;D

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
Yeah, I know. Sorry if I sounded like an ass, but if he wanted to be an ass, he could have sued you...and you don't want that, do you? :P I know it must be a downer to have to replace those tiles, but it'll look fine without 'em. ^-^
I forgot to mention that everything looks great. I love the way you combined the trees in your maps. ;D
umm no. you are very wrong there could be no sueing by anyone but nintendo and/or gamefreak. im sorry that you dont know this but if money was involved in hacks (SUCH AS SUEING SOMEONE OVER IT) nintendo and/or gamefreak would sue both people for reselling their products. and yes i understand that those were probly costom tiles but they would only work in a pokemon game (i do believe)

anyway this hack looks amazing! I love the new attack! and the scarf but I was woundering if you pick what would be the female player is the scarf pink or red insted of blue?

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022

Nah, you didn't sound like an ass at all ^^ It was something important that I needed to know, so no worries :)

And thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it :) New screenshots with the offending tiles removed; and showing some new scripts, should be up tomorrow or the next day :) (And I'll use the VBA Screenshot function to take them this time, not PrtSc! XD )

@PatJamma I'm pretty sure the sue comment was a joke XD As for our Pichu hero, he can only be a hero, and not a heroine (since there really isn't any way to have the game give you a pokemon of the same gender every time unless it always has a set gender - and I figured that would be easiest for everyone concerned, especially me, to simply set a gender XD ). The intro simply shows you your player character in two different poses (coloring, scarf, everything is the same except the pose - even the default name options) and asks "which picture you like better" rather than "are you a boy or a girl."

(...Though now that I think about it, I could simply edit another pokemon to be a clone of the player Pichu - similar palette, same base stats, same movesets, same in every way except that it's always female...and doesn't have a Pichu's cry ^^' If I was any better at hacking the cries and having them sound good and not like staticky messes that glitch things up, I might entertain this idea...but for now, I think I'll leave things the same ^^' )

Last edited:

NatureKeeper

I hope you release a beta soon.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
Years
These visuals are quite impressive and those portraits too.
I loved rescue rangers and this is looking even better than it.
Can't wait to see a release, Since I haven't played this type of hack since RR.

The Smell

Doof-Man
Years
I am really enjoying all these new PMD style hacks! Since I can't hack for anybody's frogs, I think I may make a PMD style game in RPG Maker XP! May I suggest for that first route on there, using a HG/SS style grass? It would look smoother in a PMD game than just random tufts of grass. Anyway, I'm really enjoying this so far! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back