• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

... it's the same game, BUT IN HD!

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Proper remakes - that is, re-releases with additional content - I will buy most of the time if I enjoyed the original. It depends on what the new content is, as well, and how much of it there is; if I'm going to be paying for the same game again, I like to get my money's worth. A graphical overhaul and maybe a couple of extra costumes or additional scenario or whatever, if I've played the game before, just won't cut it for me if the game wasn't that exceptional to begin with.

Remasters, which are essentially the same game with a shiny new coat of paint...not so much. Really it depends on the system for me, and how recently it's been since I've played the game. As an example, I played OOT on the Gamecube, and I can easily put the disc into my Wii, so I avoided the 3DS remaster; it didn't offer anything substantial for me that I hadn't already seen before. But it's been several years since I played FFX and X-2, and digging up my PS2 would be a royal nuisance, so the second the remasters get released (if they ever do...) I'll be all over them.

I do wish that companies would use remasters and remakes as a way of making their lesser known or harder to find titles more readily available, though, rather than as cash cows. Games like God of War and The Legend of Zelda don't really need HD remasters - they're everywhere. You can buy a second-hand console and the game for about the same price as the remaster if you go to the right place. Titles like Zone of the Enders and ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, which are hard to find and/or painfully expensive, however, definitely benefit from the treatment, because I know I'd never pay more than retail price for a game several years old, no matter how good it is.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I don't know why I purchased Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Sonic CD again in HD. I can easily access the games on my Gamecube still. I still haven't beat two of those! I guess I like getting the PS3 trophies and raising more Chao.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I'll usually get them if I liked the game. Its nice to experience them all over again, and why not in a higher resolution!

I just hate using different controllers though
rip_zpsec10ede9.gif

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Under two circumstances do I get remakes:

1.) If I don't have the game in the first place

2.) If the game is part of a collection.

The only exception would be Ocarina of Time for 3DS.

Back