• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Gen had the worst starters?

Which Gen had the worst starters?

• Total voters

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
Years
I'm gonna have to go with generation 4. Although I don't really dislike any of them, gen 4 was my least favorite. All of them felt kinda beefy and chunky.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
Gen V by far. Tepig was cute but it's final evo's design wasn't great and with Samurott/Oshawott it was vice-versa. Snivy line is the worst starter line by far. Not really one I like too much out of the bunch because of these shortcomings.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2016
Since generation 3, all water start pokemon are disgusting and the grass pokemons are strange.
With the exception of Seviper and Torterra.
So i voted for gen 4.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Out of what I'm familiar with, the second generation has the weakest lineup. I like that they're all monotypes into their final evolutions, but their movepools and stats are entirely lacklustre.

I can't comment on fourth or fifth generation since I haven't used any of them.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Gen V for me. Emboar is the only one I genuinely liked. Although Snivy had the best first stage in that trio.

It's actually kinda surprising to see Gen IV with that many votes considering they're probably the best starters. They're each fun to use in-game and in the metagame they all have their own niche.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
Gen 1 was good. Maybe not spectacular lol but I grew up with squirtle and I had a squirtle shaped cake when I turned 10 xD or was it 9? Idk. Yeah 9 cuz Pokemon 2000 came out. Charmander is cute and I love dragons so that includes charizard. But I've never been keen on bulbasaur& its fam.
Gen 2 I love totodile so much. One of the best move pools and its crushing power and high defense through the evolutions carry against all but grass and water, but in hg croconaw learned ice fang that made bayleef and meganium a joke lol. Never done a play through with chikorita but I like its aesthetics as well as meganium at least. Cyndaquil is the cutest fire starter and I like hedgehogs. But it's moves and such aren't unique.
Gen 3 is the only one I've done a full play through with all starters. So I love all of those. Can't dislike them at all.
Gen 4. Oh gen 4. Turtwig. The best but not by much. Only cuz I like how grotle and torterra look. Chinchar. I hate monkeys. And I didn't need to see another fire fighting type. Piplup. Freaking penguins. I hate penguins. Also one thing that made these easily the worst starter is the type imbalance. I mean if I choose a water starter, I should not naturally inheret a weakness to the fire starters second type. No. Just no. And I also should not be able to use my water type attacks easily on the grass starter. I should always fear him. Not think his second type means my strong water attacks can easily ohko him cuz hes no long resistant. I usually teach my water starter ice beam to deal with grass types but due to their general lack of speed I tend to still fear appropriately leveled grass types, particularly my rival's grass starter. But empoleon isn't even weak to grass anymore -_- and infernape scares the crap outta me. I boxed empoleon. I hate it.
Gen 5 was good for starter. I love my samurott more than I expected and having access to bug moves makes him way different from others. I like serperior's design at least and I don't dislike emboar. He just kinda blends in and I forget about him.
Obviously I vie for gen 4 as the worst. Hate them. Except torterra. But I'm sure if I played as him I'd still hate him for being unbalanced against water. But whatever xD

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
I was pretty close to saying Generation I and II, especially because Charizard's physical aspect is completely overused, even though its Base Attack is only at a puny 84, in which it is bested at by Watchog. Typhlosion's base stats are an exact copy of Charizard's, and the other two in Generation II were less than powerful.

I still chose Generation V, because no single starter is very impressive by itself. Emboar is too fragile, while Serperior doesn't hit. Samurott really came close, but could easily be replaced by an Empoleon.

My favorite Generation will always be Generation III.

Years
In terms of design I'd say gen IV. I still don't like most of those starters and especially dislike their second forms, but power-wise these guys are probably the best. Sadly I focus more on appearance than anything else so fourth gen it is. :<

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Gen V was so bad, ingame and competitively.

It's the only generation where I considered dropping the starters.

Years
Are you guys kidding me?
Infernape is my favourite pokemon, which means my favourite starter is chimchar.
Gen V was the worst 1 IMO.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
In terms of design I would have to say that I consider Gen-4 to have the worst starters. I simply thought them uninspiring, and not at all appealing. Most gen4 runs I end up not even using the starter which is a shame.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Gen 4 and 5 are the only times ive ever switched out a starter. On pearl i did it because i had access to a blaziken, and blaziken>>>infernape. On white and white 2 it was just because i wasnt really feeling the starters. I like serperior and samurott, so Gen IV is what i chose.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I hate the Generation V starters. While I keep my starter with me every game I play, as I've been doing it since I was five, it was a burden to me to keep my starter during my playthroughs of Generation V, and I had to resist strong temptations to drop my starter numerous times throughout. I dislike their designs and I didn't 'feel' any enjoyment using them, unlike Generation IV, where I cherished my starter (so much so that I got Level 100 with one of them).

Navy Blue

Artist
Years
Kanto is overrated, but yeah still good.
Johto starters, eh. This would come in 2nd least fav.
I love all Hoenn starters unconditionally,
I like Empoleon, Torterra, and Infernape, so Sinnoh's good.
But as for V, I only liked Snivy and it's evolutions, so five would be my least favorite.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I think it will be Gen.2 yeah yeah people will say Gen. 5 is more worst but it's only their looks. How about the stats? I don't really like the Gen.2 starters at all.

Captain Falcon

Gotta go fast
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2013
I voted gen V, cause it was just uninspired. And did we really needed another fire/fighting type?

Back