• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen CoroCoro Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Sylveon is definitely a bug-type, possible a bug/flying, but at least a bug type!

"The Clipper (Parthenos sylvia) is a species of nymphalid butterfly found in South and South-East Asia, mostly in forested areas. The Clipper is a fast flying butterfly and has a habit of flying with its wings flapping stiffly between the horizontal position and a few degrees below the horizontal. It may glide between spurts of flapping."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenos_sylvia

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
I still wouldn't say that's a definite for being a bug, though it admittedly makes it more likely. I'd say it's between Bug and Flying now.

Years
I just had a thought... (and someone has probably mentioned this, but oh well) what if sylveon was a poison type? Now I agree it doesn't really look like one, BUT say it were based on perfume/a sweet but deadly type of thing? There really isn't anything to define what makes a pokemon a poison type, other than it being venomous, (And I would say that bulbasaur doesn't look like a poison type to me) I know most poison types are green purple or blue, but there are exceptions and if we're playing off the beautiful but deadly motif, it could work!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Aren't Bug types suppose to have appearances of insects, arachnids, and crustacians? Syleon is a mammal, so Bug should be crossed off (not to mention being formerly physical-based prior to Gen IV instead of special-based).

Years
Aren't Bug types suppose to have appearances of insects, arachnids, and crustacians? Syleon is a mammal, so Bug should be crossed off (not to mention being formerly physical-based prior to Gen IV instead of special-based).

Well it's moreso that it has an elemental affinity toward butterflies and insects, rather than being one in completeness. Like Leafeon is not a plant, but has an affinity for plants. Additionally, Vaporeon is not a fish, it is a mammal; it has a feline/fox face accompanied by four limbs. The concepts of Slyveon follows suit. It has butterfly bows and "feelers" (alluding to the German name Feelinara), and remains to be a mammal.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I just had a thought... (and someone has probably mentioned this, but oh well) what if sylveon was a poison type? Now I agree it doesn't really look like one, BUT say it were based on perfume/a sweet but deadly type of thing? There really isn't anything to define what makes a pokemon a poison type, other than it being venomous, (And I would say that bulbasaur doesn't look like a poison type to me) I know most poison types are green purple or blue, but there are exceptions and if we're playing off the beautiful but deadly motif, it could work!
One could argue also the colorful feelers being a warning to how poisonous it is, and the fact that it has visible fangs not only for the movie art but for its plushies.

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2015
I guess it can be a little weird for it to be a flying type. I mean, it's on the ground on all fours - how exactly would it dodge moves like Earhquake? Maybe it could it float?

It may simply be able to run in the air as reindeers are depicted to do. In regards to speculating it's a bug type, it seems more like feather light streamers on it, not feelers. Along with this, eeveelutions always have some some aspect to their form that relates to the typing, and the streamers flowing in the wind support flying type. I would imagine it being given a pair of antennae for bug type and scales or fangs for a dragon type.

Also, all eeveelutions so far have been the colour of their typing (the exception being leafeon, but green is still a big part of it's colour scheme), pointing towards, eliminating both bug and dragon and supporting either normal or flying. Personally I see it being white to represent clouds and having sky blue as an accent colour which is pretty self explanitory. The only colour that doesn't quite fit is pink, but that may simply been added to make it cuter.

Both it's name and size/weight would support it being either flying or bug, but given that everything mentioned above supports it being a flying type, I'd go with that.

And in regards to the eeveelution chart listed above, weaknesses and resistances are unbalanced, as some have 2 weaknesses, some no weaknesses, and some being super effective against 2 or none. With that, I wouldn't take the chart into account.

EDIT: Depending on which type chart you look at, dragon's colours can be both blue and pink, so I guess the colour scheme could be be similar to Lefeon's style and it could be a dragon type. However, I don't really see any other reasons for it to be a dragon type.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think Bug is likely because it has large eyes and the eyes are very developed in most bugs.

I don't think it will be Flying. All of the current Flying-type Pokémon have appendages which are developed for flight, except for Gyarados, which is Flying-type because of the legend of the carp. Even a few bizarre Flying-type Pokémon like Mantine and Tropius have appendages which they utilize to fly or glide.

Sylveon? Doesn't look like it. Those ribbons don't look like they can keep it above the ground. To be able to fly, it needs to at least be able to take off. It can't flap its ribbons as if they were wings, so the most it could do is glide if it's carried by the wind, but that's not enough to classify it as a Flying-type. There are several winged Pokémon which aren't Flying-type (mostly Bugs such as Beedrill, Venomoth and Volcarona), so why would something which doesn't even have wings and doesn't look capable of flight be able to fly?

I also don't think it will be a Normal-type. The whole point of Eevee evolution is to adapt to its surroundings. A Normal-type eeveelution would just be a bigger Eevee. The changes in Sylveon are too drastic for it to keep its Normal-type. The only way it could be Normal-type is if it was like Arceus and had an ability like Multitype, to stay true to the lore of the Pokémon.

Therefore my current vote is Bug-type.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't think it's very effective to say it's "definitely" a certain type because of its name. I could argue that it's a flying type because the name sounds like a sylph (an air spirit that's usually female) or a nymph (a female nature spirit that could be associated with the air). So I don't think we should be basing anything off the names just yet. :)

I can't think of anything it could really be, though. It doesn't really look like it was made to be a specific type, with all the other eeveelutions have features or designs where we can clearly see their types by looking at them. Vaporeon's fins, Jolteon's coloration and spikes, Espeon's gem, etc. The only think that Sylveon really looks like to me is normal, which would be really disappointing. Honestly I was hoping for an eeveelution that looked more like its type, ex. a flying type with wings or one more insectlike. I guess it could be a dragon but it just seems really.. graceful, which idk is not how I think of dragon types as.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I believe Sylveon is either Normal, or Flying, but if it is Flying type it will certainly be "Normal / Flying" anyway.

Dragon is also a possibility, but I doubt it. I think the way the ribbons flow in the wind suggests that it is a flying type.

If it's normal type, I definitely wouldn't use it, but if it's flying type I would have it replace my usual bird (unless it can't learn fly, in that case screw it altogether.)

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Electric type moves aren't very effective against Dragon types, and they're only neutral when it's a Dragon/Flying. Being an Eeveelution, I would say it's almost safe to assume Sylveon will be one pure type unless GameFreak really wanted to pull one from underneath us, which in this case I doubt.

Ooooohhh, right sorry. I forgot about that, I thought dragon-type pokemon counted as flying cause some of them got wings and everything but then like you said, if they have wings they're dragon/flying.

I guess it can be a little weird for it to be a flying type. I mean, it's on the ground on all fours - how exactly would it dodge moves like Earhquake? Maybe it could it float?

Well, have you seen Shaymin's flying form? Its on the ground with its all four but its ears makes it being able to fly. The same would probably go for Sylveon's bows since they will probably be able to somehow make Sylveon being able to fly or its just a dragon-type, who knows.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
At a first glance, I wouldn't class Sylveon as a Bug type but then again... Pokemon can look completely different to their typing, just because a Pokemon is Red doesn't make it a Fire type.. Right?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Sylveon is definitely a bug-type, possible a bug/flying, but at least a bug type!

"The Clipper (Parthenos sylvia) is a species of nymphalid butterfly found in South and South-East Asia, mostly in forested areas. The Clipper is a fast flying butterfly and has a habit of flying with its wings flapping stiffly between the horizontal position and a few degrees below the horizontal. It may glide between spurts of flapping."

Well, okay but... while it's true that "nymph" is a term used in entomology, that term itself is also adopted from the beings in Greek mythology: nymphs were like, lesser female nature deities. Sometimes, that term is used to refer to maidens or beautiful young women--all of which can explain Sylveon's feminine-like appearance. I dunn, it's just, out of all the possible uses of "nymph," the entomological term strikes me as the least likely that is being invoked here. I think we can have a feminine mystical being on our hands--which this ties together pretty much all of its different names in different languages.

Eh, that still leaves its type pretty hard to determine, imo.

AmericanWonderland

Sassmaster
Years
Personally, I believe that Sylveon is either a bug type or a normal type. I'm leaning towards bug though. I also heard a very ridiculous rumor that it was a new type called light, which would be interesting, but really don't think that's a possibility in any way.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
At a first glance, I wouldn't class Sylveon as a Bug type but then again... Pokemon can look completely different to their typing, just because a Pokemon is Red doesn't make it a Fire type.. Right?

But for Eeveelutions in specific every Pokemon has looked like its typing. To break that pattern now would be a little unusual when it's been going on for so many generations/evolutions in said line already.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years

At first I was thinking about Fighting-type, but when I saw this... that sounded very close to it's name (which I thought it was something like "silvia"), especially to how it's bows are shaped. So now it's starting to make me think that it's a Bug-type.

But y'know what I find strange? Every Bug-type Pokémon design that I've seen is based off either an insect, arachnid, crustacean or arthropod. If Sylveon was to be a Bug-type... it would break the cycle of all Bug-type Pokémon being based off insects, arachnids, crustaceans or arthropods. But again... it doesn't seem likely that Game Freak would develop a Pokémon to be a Bug-type when it doesn't appear like an Insect or something similar in any way.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Here's what we do know about Eevee:

1. It's a pure Normal-type
2. It can evolve depending on the elements and what environment they're in
3. Has already evolved into 7 of the 17 types, that being Water (Vaporeon), Electric (Jolteon), Fire (Flareon), Psychic (Espeon), Dark (Umbreon), Grass (Leafeon) and Ice (Glaceon)
4. It has yet to evolve into a dual-type
5. It evolves with elemental stones or rocks, or time of day
6. It has not evolved into the following types as of yet: Normal, Flying, Fighting, Bug, Rock, Ground, Steel, Poison, Ghost and Dragon

Here's the type breakdown:

Normal - Most plausible theory. Its colors are white, light blue and pink, which seem fairy and angelic-like, which is characteristic of some Normal-types like Togetic and Clefairy. It also has bows which are closely associated with some Normal-types.

Flying - Second plausible theory. Its ribbons flow in the wind, which could mean its relative to fairies and can fly.

Fighting - Could possibly be but it doesn't have a tough appearance or seem to dress in any fighting-like attire

Bug - Does not have any bug characteristics, like antennae or stingers

Rock - Does not have a stone-like body or anything rock-related

Ground - Not sandy in color and does not look like one that'd live in the ground

Steel - Does not have a metallic appearance or anything metal on its body

Poison - Does not have dark colors like some other Poison-types and does not give the impression that it can use Poison moves

Ghost - Does not look transparent and is not eerie-looking like other Ghosts

Dragon - Does not look reptilian or dragon-like and has no visible claws or fangs

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Hm, well, there's also the possibility that it can be a new type because while it has very little evidence going for it, at least the only evidence it has AGAINST it is that a new type in general is quite a stretch. All the other types have pretty big incorrelations with them (mostly that Sylveon looks nothing like them and it's names don't correlate at all).

blue

gucci
Years
I'm hoping we get something half decent in next month's issue, the fact that we got Sylveon this month may effect it somehow in terms of how much more is revealed? idk does that usually happen. I'm half expecting the most that we'll get to be the revealing of Sylveon's typing, especially since they've got another eight months to give out information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back