• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Thanks for the help. Kind of sounds like cheating to me though.

It's considered legit in mostly every circle, but you're free not to use it if you don't feel right (: I don't personally RNG myself, I just know a lot about it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2011
So are all these things disputed as cheating; Soft Resetting, RNG, IV's, and EV's?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
So are all these things disputed as cheating; Soft Resetting, RNG, IV's, and EV's?

None of those are. I feel weird about RNGing myself, but it's considered a legitimate way to get good Pokemon. IVs, EVs, and soft resetting are most certainly not cheating.

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2011
How can it not be considered cheating if EV's and IV's are hidden, and with RNG you're doing the same thing an outside source could do, like action replay, just in a more time consuming and less expensive way?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
How can it not be considered cheating if EV's and IV's are hidden, and with RNG you're doing the same thing an outside source could do, like action replay, just in a more time consuming and less expensive way?

EVs and IVs are considered a game mechanic, and you can calculate them without modifying any code whatsoever. I personally use a calculator online to find out what my IVs are, and EVs I do by hand. RNGing is also just abusing ingame mechanics. An AR actually changes the code within the game, which is why it's considered cheating. However, there are a few AR codes which people generally accept that don't change the code at all, like the IV/EV checker codes.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2011
EVs and IVs are considered a game mechanic, and you can calculate them without modifying any code whatsoever. I personally use a calculator online to find out what my IVs are, and EVs I do by hand. RNGing is also just abusing ingame mechanics. An AR actually changes the code within the game, which is why it's considered cheating. However, there are a few AR codes which people generally accept that don't change the code at all, like the IV/EV checker codes.

Well since we're on the subject. What are IV's and EV's and how how do I find out what my pokemon has?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Is there someone or something I can talk to that can tell me how many eggs I've hatched?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Is there someone or something I can talk to that can tell me how many eggs I've hatched?

I feel like that's something you randomly see on a TV, but I can't be positive.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2011
so Is there no ways to find out Ivs from pokemon I just hatched? Sorry Metalkid's calculator is kind of confusing XD

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
so Is there no ways to find out Ivs from pokemon I just hatched? Sorry Metalkid's calculator is kind of confusing XD

You need to level it up substantially before the calculator is even nearly accurate. Make sure it doesn't get any EVs though (that is, use Rare Candies). You could also hack the game's coding to find out, but that's generally frowned upon for some reason.

I feel like that's something you randomly see on a TV, but I can't be positive.

Confirmed. However, the chances of getting that specific statistic is very inconsistent. I think the show is called "Your Pokemon," and all they do is tell you useless facts like how many trainers you've battled, how many times you've fled, etc.

Though, I do wonder how they know that information anyway.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021

If you don't mind having to save and perhaps losing Battle Subway progress, chuck them into a Subway line. (Use this on the regular lines after you unlock Super Trains for progress safety.)

It'll autolevel your Pokémon. After that, chuck in the numbers and let your IV calculator do its thing.

These days, IV calculators are relatively straightforward - in fact, a lot of stuff are entirely optional. With autolevelling to Level 50, you should be able to safely input stat values directly. You don't have to bother with anything else other than species.

Chatot Lover

happy
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
I'm quite new to B/W and since my instruction booklet is in Dutch (I don't understand Dutch so well), could anyone be so kind and explain to me what the Dream World is and how you use it?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm quite new to B/W and since my instruction booklet is in Dutch (I don't understand Dutch so well), could anyone be so kind and explain to me what the Dream World is and how you use it?

The Dream World is found on the global link site from www.pokemon.com. Basically, it allows you to upload your save file into a "dream state" where your Pokemon can befriend other Pokemon to meet during actual gameplay. You can also get berries and play mini-games there. :3

For more information, check the DW part of our faq [ here. ]

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2011
So I got this Eevee from GTS and I didn't even know it's moves. Then today I noticed on one of the trading threads that one of the guys had Noted Specifically that he had eevee's with the move Wish, as if it was special or something, so curiously I went only and found out that several people are breeding eevees with the moves, Wish, Curse, and Yawn. and Mine has all 3 moves! How valuable is a Wish/Curse/Yawn Eevee tradewise?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
So I got this Eevee from GTS and I didn't even know it's moves. Then today I noticed on one of the trading threads that one of the guys had Noted Specifically that he had eevee's with the move Wish, as if it was special or something, so curiously I went only and found out that several people are breeding eevees with the moves, Wish, Curse, and Yawn. and Mine has all 3 moves! How valuable is a Wish/Curse/Yawn Eevee tradewise?

Meh, they're pretty easy to come across, it mainly depends on their Iv's as well. It also depends on who wants it.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years

Eevee is part of the Ground Egg Group, which Smeargle is in. Therefore, it's beyond easy to get any combination of Egg Moves on Eevee, so long as you breed a female Eevee (or evolution) with a male Smeargle with those moves.

These Egg Moves, in Generation V, include Charm, Covet, Curse, Detect, Endure, Fake Tears, Flail, Natural Gift, Stored Power, Synchronoise, Tickle, Wish, and Yawn.

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2011
My current team is Krokorok, Boldore, Zebstrika, Axew, Samurott, and Simisear. My question regards Simisear. Should I keep him or box him? I evolved him really early. He is level 34 now and the only fire move he knows is incinerate. Does he learn any more fire moves?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
My current team is Krokorok, Boldore, Zebstrika, Axew, Samurott, and Simisear. My question regards Simisear. Should I keep him or box him? I evolved him really early. He is level 34 now and the only fire move he knows is incinerate. Does he learn any more fire moves?

Like most stone evolution Pokemon, Simisear ceases to learn moves after he evolves. He is allowed to learn Flame Burst (70 bP 100 ACC, recently updated Bulbapedia in regards to how the splash works in double / triple battles, if you're interested) in Mistralton City in exchange for a Heart Scale at the Move Family's House. He can also learn Flamethrower, Overheat, and Flame Charge through TM; the two former cannot be obtained before the Elite Four, while the latter is obtained pretty late in the game at the Tubeline Bridge.

This is okay because the only other worthwhile moves Pansear learned that Simisear are Yawn and Crunch.

Consider Grass Knot (TM in Pinwheel Forest), Focus Blast (TM in Wellspring Cave, after you get Surf), and Hidden Power (TM from Professor Juniper after seeing a lot of Pokemon).

Since Simisear's bATK and bSpATK are both equal, you can consider the physical moves as well. He learns Brick Break (TM in Icirrus City), Dig (TM before Nimbasa City, in the desert), Rock Tomb (TM in Resort Desert), Rock Slide (TM in Mistralton Cave), Acrobatics (TM from Skyla), and Shadow Claw (TM in Celestial Tower).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back