• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Drawover Paintover Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halmtier

THE HOBO
Years
I have a new pic I am working on (it will be very large) but the poses just seem off to me. Here is my slightly fleshed out thumb nail sketch, I hope it's big enough. The BG I don't need any assistance with as I have it all thought out, but the people are bugging me.

Thanks!

Spoiler:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Hello!

I've got a picture I need some help with, originally I was just going to discard it because I wasn't sure what to do with it, but when I discovered this thread I thought y'all might be able to help me make sense of it.

Red's the body, green's the overclothes, and teal was supposed to become his wings. It's supposed to be Icarus, the bands on his arm connecting to his make-shift wings.

One of the biggest reasons I discarded is is because I really don't know what to do with the wings. I've a decent knowledge of wing-structure, but have no idea how to position them. I'd also like some suggestions on how to make the straps holding the wings to his back look.

If anyone's willing to help me, I'd be incredibly grateful.

Spoiler:

Heya Swan! Sorry it took me a while! I just came back to this page recently. This one was a real toughie.. and I would agree with you in regards to trying to scrap it and starting again. It's not that the drawing is bad or anything, it's actually working well for the most part, but I agree that if you chose a different pose or different camera angle, then the placement of the wings would come a lot more naturally. I would've tried just to find a more appealing pose.. but as for trying to impliment it into this picture, I tried to add a bit of depth and I just want you to not be afraid of covering things. If a wing will cover the whole arm then let it. See how the silhouette works.. if you can read it, great. If you can't.. I'd try something different. I think the left arm is working well, but I changed the right arm to try and give a sense of "freefalling" by pushing the wrist back. I'm really not sure if it works.. (So that one wing is covering an arm and the other wing isn't)
Um.. I tried also to do a variation in red.. so that red wing is another position that would work with the arm that YOU drew (so you can half see it) and this position is disregarding the arm that I drew.

But yeah.. you can tell by the way my lines are that I had a tough time with this one too trying to find the structure and trying to dip the torso forward. I think when you're trying to tell a story, sometimes it's better to try and use a different angle because you may be conveying something a bit better that way.. but I gave this a shot anyways. I'm not too happy with my own result but I rather post it and maybe spark something for you than leave you with nothing.
If you want to try to tackle it again.. conceptart.org is a great resource for more crits.

Anyways, like I said, I'm not too happy with this one.. but I played around with your silhouette and tried to change the angle a bit and I am happier with those. The second last one I think works most, but art is really subjective.. so try it out for yourself and see what you can come up with too! Either way I hope it helps you <3
Spoiler:

icarus.jpg

And Halmtier, I basically VMed you about yours, but the perspective with the background and the perspective with the men weren't matching. However.. with the way you had it set up, it was a bit impossible to fit the other man in properly. I did stretch it up, and then changed the plane to a diagonal one instead of a horizontal horizon line to make the piece more dynamic. You DID have a 3 point perspective going on with the guy in the foreground, but I dont think you realized this so when it came to adding the guy in the background you struggled. The camera is placed closer to the guy at the bottom, so technically for the guy in the back, his legs are closer to us than his torso, giving the illusion that the legs should be a tad larger.

Also I changed the perspective of the sword a bit since the angle of the sword didn't seem to make sense (if he would swipe the way you had it, he would hit with the flat part of the blade instead of the sharp part) so I changed that a bit and added some perspective.

I also changed the direction the guy in the foreground was looking.. to accommodate the movement of character (so that he's looking at his target.)

If you need something different or if you were going for something different please don't hesitate to explain and I'll try my hand at it again.

battlelines.jpg

Hmm but now that I look at it, the back arm still doesn't look right. I was going for some overlap and I don't know if I achieved it. Try having a play at that while making the sword a bit more 3-dimensional/ in perspective. :3

Last edited:

Halmtier

THE HOBO
Years
Thanks, I will work with that- I think you gave me a good idea on how to fix it up, as I can now see the guy in the back was indeed way to flat facing for the scene. And I always have issues with background perspectives... I really need to work on that. XD
Thanks Again!

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2012
Was gonna put some of my pictures on..But compared to these my look like pre-school drawings..

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Was gonna put some of my pictures on..But compared to these my look like pre-school drawings..

Seriously, don't compare your work to others if it's gonna bring you down. It'll hinder you a ton because then you might start to have a fear of drawing; and to be honest, even I had that at one point. So if you're gonna compare your work.. compare it to yourself, because you can learn and grow and see progress that way.

Don't let others deter you from posting. Seriously, post away! I'd love to be able to help you even if you think you're just starting out! Don't be afraid to do it! Seriously, every artist has to start somewhere and it's really worth it if you feel like you want a second opinion or just some pointers!

Post, post, post! An art community really is that; a community! And we're here to support each other!

Emily: Thanks! I'd love to see some of your work, too!

Nesferxty

*90s Kid Forever*
Years
I would love it if someone could help me with my latest sketch :) Unfortunately I don't have a tablet so I have to rough it all out with a mouse >_<

I could especially use some input with clothes, i'm always unsure of how cloth should lie and rumple up if that makes sense? So any red lining on the dress would be awesome :)

I can't post a picture so i've attached it, its a VERY rough sketch so don't be too hard on me :P

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I'm trying my hand at more dynamic poses-- I'm not having too much trouble with perspectives I've chosen as of yet, but I realized that facial structuring is hell of a lot more difficult than I anticipated. So while I hammer out the workings of things in that area, I thought I'd get some help on this little doodle I was working on. The man on the right is particularly uh... questionable, because I had a hard time imagining how his pose would look and couldn't find a ref. And maybe the girl's leg that's being tripped should have a bent knee? IDK v___v;;;

Any help would be much appreciated!

http://sta.sh/029y5kbov5kl

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Gonna have to lock this one up. I plan on making a new thread today for general artistic critique, on all art forms. And given that this has been dead for 6 weeks, I think it'll be necessary to reinstate it later. But I want the drawover and paintover ideas to continue flowing. So anyone looking for someone to help on their drawings by drawing and painting over they will be allowed to post their work in the new thread. I'll have that up very soon guys, so bear with me while I get this section on track! Thanks!

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back