• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

UU Team (Getting back into it)

zealot

The King of Fail
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 1, 2024
A few years ago when Gen V was pretty young I was a pretty solid UU player, but I stopped battling for a while. I'm looking to get back into it but I lost all of my teams and am not up to speed with the BW2 changes. This is the first team I've made in a long time, and I'd love some advice on it.

The team is in importable format if you want to test it yourself:

Machamp (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- ThunderPunch

Empoleon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Absol (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Psycho Cut

Xatu (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Night Shade
- U-turn

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Fire Punch

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Machamp: I typically lead with Machamp unless I find a better match elsewhere. Substitute is surprisingly effective against set up mon as you can get confusion with Dynamicpunch and try to sub again.

Empoleon: Great pokemon, one of my favorites in UU. My only real stop to DD Kingdra.

Absol: Not as reliable as I was hoping. Has great power and I love having Superpower, but if you have a suggestion for something that could do its job better, I'd love to hear it.

Xatu: Excellent utility pokemon. My only stop to hazards so I try to keep it alive as long as possible. Usually I switch it in if they opponent has a bulky hazard/status inducer against my Machamp. I always think that people will predict it, but they rarely do and I usually get free hazards.

Flygon: My favorite pokemon in all of UU. Even with a Scarf, Outrage is devastating for cleaning up lategame.

Porygon-Z: Another pokemon I'm not sure about. Download is kind of unreliable. I've had matches where he sweeps the entire opponents team, and matches where he does nothing.

Some threats I can think of (I'm sure there are many others):
Victini: Victini does a number on most of my pokemon. Flygon can force it out but probably can't switch in.
Flygon: I usually will have to play around what move it is locked into. Seeing a Flygon usually means I am losing a pokemon unless I have Porygon-Z set up in time.
Swampert: A physically defensive Swampert can end up being a pain for me to get around unless Machamp can confuse it with Dynamicpunch and get lucky.

Any C&C you might have is appreciated.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Krookodile or Heracross can do Absol's job better because of their Moxie abilities; they get stronger whenever they KO something:

Krookodile:
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Pursuit/Superpower
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie

Heracross:
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Sleep Talk
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Moxie/Guts

or
-Swords Dance
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Guts

or
-Substitute
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Moxie/Guts

zealot

The King of Fail
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 1, 2024
Not a bad idea, thanks!

I'm leaning toward Krookodile, but that would give me 3 pokemon weak to ice in a tier that allows Hail. Are there any good options to switch with Porygon-Z in order to help mitigate this?

Virgilin

Salmon Fishing in Vulcan
Years
If you want a good Sp. Attacker like Porygon-Z that can resist Hail, Glaceon might not be a bad idea. Glaceon's ability, Snow Cloak, grants in 20% evasiveness, which is pretty neat.

Glaceon @ Choice Scarf
-Nature: Modest/Timid
-EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
-Ability: Snow Cloak & since its GenV hidden ability: Ice Body
-Moves:
-Substitute
-Hail
-Blizzard
-Ice Beam

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Glaceon is garbage, unless it's in Hail. Most of the time it'll be a waste of a slot. If you're worried about Hail just slap on a weather-abuser or like...a Fire Pokemon. Something like RD Kingdra or even just slap on something really powerful like Victini or Darmanitan to help with Hail. You can hit half to 3/4 of most Hail teams for SE damage + SR.

I back PlatinumDude's suggestion of Heracross, at present Scarf Mienshao can OHKO 5/6 of your team and that is a massive problem. Adding Cross is not going to alleviate the problem entirely but at least you have something that can survive HJK spam. Actually I think Specs Chandelure > Porygon will help greatly against Hail/ScarfMienShao.

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EV: 252 SpAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Trick
- Shadow Ball

Absolute monster, I'd go with Fire Blast for extra power but Overheat does deal like 70% to Umberon.

Back