• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Arcanine or Ninetales?

Which is best?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 20, 2015
Hi, I was thinking of doing a playthrough of FR/LG and I just wanted to know which game I should choose according to my fire type. LG has Vulpix/Ninetales and FR gets Growlithe/Arcanine.

Which of these two is the better Pokémon in you're opinion and why?

Last edited:
Years
I think Arcanine is better because it has a better moveset.
eg: Flare Blitz; Extremespeed; Crunch; Close Combat

Ninetales doesn't have much variety.

Soulless Ghoul

The One and Only Ghoul
Years
Growlithe/Arcanine.

I'm a little biased, cause I love dogs more than I like Foxes.

But meh.

And like Head said, Growlithe/Arcanine has a better move set.
(Pain to train sometimes, though.)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 15, 2014
Flare Blitz wasn't available in 3rd Gen, so Flame Wheel would be the only Physical fire move that Arcanine can know.

Years
Tough choice. I rather go with Arcanine, its a shame that back then, both Arcanine and Ninetails had extremely few moves and weren't that great to be used. If you even wanted Arcanine to learn flamethrower, you had to give it the TM. But anyway, I think he's the better choice. He's fast and you can get a better use of his moveset than what Ninetails has.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Arcanine is majestic, and Ninetales is graceful.

I've always loved Vulpix and Ninetales though, so I'll go with Ninetales.

Nasty Plotted Flamethrower are fun!

Sirfetch’d

Arcanine all the way, haha. I just was never really a fan of Vulpix or Ninetales so this was a pretty easy decision for me. Arcanine is just so majestic looking which is much cooler than Ninetales.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Aircane has more base state then ninetales. and its better then ninetales but ninetales is also a very good pokemon. If you want you can have ninetales but i suggest you to have aircane

I have experience for having aircane and ninetales both !

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I liked Ninetales better when it came to design. It was simple, and very elegant. When it came to battling though, Arcanine was the better Pokémon. Ninetales may be good in the current gen. thanks to Drought, but it didn't have this ability in generation three, and its stats were quite low. Arcanine, on the other hand, had very good Attack stat and great Speed. After a single Howl, it was able to take down your opponent's entire team all by itself.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Personally I prefer Arcanine. I choose Arcanine due to its nice design and superior stats.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Just shipping this one off to Pokémon Voting Polls for RHCP & Brendino to take a look at, it's much more suited to this section than Advanced Gaming.

Moved.

Years
Battles-wise, definitely Arcanine. He gets the amazing Intimidate ability to cut your opponent's attack, has a better movepool, and overall has better stats. You can get a lot more out of him as a fire type.

Stinks though, since Ninetales is a great Pokemon design-wise! Its movepool just isn't very diverse.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
If we're only talking game, I don't really know what I think. As I don't use either of them much. I like Ninetales' look but generally, Arcanine is even cooler in my eyes. Ninetales seems so frail, and from what I've seen of Vulpix in the games, I don't like its moveset very much. Arcanine (Growlithe) was more of a reliable pokémon on a team.

And speaking outside the games completely, I like them both! Maybe Arcanine more, just because I generally don't like frail pokémon much. And because it's a tigerdog! Raikou and Arcanine, both tigerlike and both pokémon I like a lot. Designs do matter.

Years
Arcanine is my favourite Pokemon ever. I normally base which version of a game I get solely on whether or not Arcanine is included.

Years
Looking back at the favorite Pokemon of each type thread (here), this is what I said:

Fire - I can never decide if I like Ninetales or Arcanine more, so they'll have to share this spot.

I love Ninetales' moveset much more (if it were Fire/Psychic rather than pure Fire it'd be my favorite), but Arcanine has a better Special and regular Attack stat than Ninetales does. I honestly can't choose just one of the two, because I know that I'll feel bad later about doing it, haha.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Charizard.

3rd gen wasn't very nice to Arcanine or Ninetales, they weren't very good back then. Arcanine is more powerful but Ninetales has better support moves and Vulpix learns Flamethrower earlier than Growlithe.

5th gen, though... Ninetales is useful with Drought. And Arcanine almost breaks the game, it's obscenely powerful.

Back