• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Hack of the Month] Voting - January 2009

Hack of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
h2-hotm.png
Introduction
A bit late but at least its here right? If you read the recently updated Hall of Fame thread you would have known that the ROM Hacking mods have decided to restart Hack of the Month. Theres a description in the Hall of Fame thread about how it'll work but I'll write it here anyway. At the start of each month the moderators of ROM Hacking will have 10 days to nominate a hack for Hack of the Month. On the 10th day of each month a poll will be created for the community to vote on which of the 3 hacks it thinks should win Hack of the Month. The winner will have their hack's thread stickied the following month and have their hack added to the official PokeCommunity ROM Hacking Hall of Fame. Only hacks in either the Progressing Hacks forum or the Hack Showcase forum are eligible for nomination.

Eligible Hacks
Rules
  • You may vote once per month, per hack
  • Asking or bribing others to vote for your hack is not allowed
  • Creating new accounts to vote multiple times is not allowed and will be dealt with accordingly
  • Voting is done via the poll not by posting in this thread, votes in the form of posts will not be counted
  • Don't complain that your hack wasn't chosen this month

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Hey... do we vote in post or on the poll?
I voted for Light Platinum (sorry DJG)
It has amazing graphics, scripts and everything.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Hey... do we vote in post or on the poll?
I voted for Light Platinum (sorry DJG)
It has amazing graphics, scripts and everything.
You vote in the poll. I wrote that in the first post. ~_~

Posting in the thread is for general (within reason) discussion about the nominees and suggestions for HotM.

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
Years
I Vote for:
Light Platinum!
It has great Graphic, and Story...It is realy playable and worth of winning the HOTM!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I voted for RR: LoG.
Reason why, is because, djg has really made this hack look more sophisticated than his last two. :)

пзо

zzirRusty
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 2, 2010
Vote.

I vote for Pokemon Light Platinum.
Why?
You would think the hack was of Fire Red, the Graphics are Stunning.
And It looks playable.

balkj06

Pokemon Kanto
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2015
I vote for
Pokémon Ruby Destiny - Life of Guardians
reason the maps are awesome
sprites are awesome
and stroyline is awesome
and it's awesome

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
I sort of object with the poll system and the thin amount of hacks available. I think that people should have a pre screening thread for the communities top 3 then they vote on those so it is solely community choice. I think that these hacks are good but a fairer system should be in place

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I sort of object with the poll system and the thin amount of hacks available. I think that people should have a pre screening thread for the communities top 3 then they vote on those so it is solely community choice. I think that these hacks are good but a fairer system should be in place

Colcolstyles had an idea about that that he should be putting up here soon. I think it was something along the lines of including previous HotW winners into this. (Although, they'd have to be from the previous month. But because they would, people can also vote on how much they've improved since then.)

Uhm, it was his idea, so I'm going to leave it up to him to explain it more.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
My proposal

Okay I was on MSN with some people and we were discussing the new Hack of the Month (which will be referred to as the HotM henceforth) competition. I wasn't entirely sure how the eligible hacks were chosen and I began brainstorming ideas. After proposing them to dshayabusa, he asked me to put them here so that's what I'm doing. My idea will incorporate the Hack of the Week (HotW) into the process of nominating hacks and it will require a reformatting of the HotW to make sure everyone gets a fair shot at winning as well as the nationalization (?) of the HotW.

The HotW would be held each week as it has been for nearly a year now. However, the sole purpose of the HotW would be for hacks to compete for a "bid" into the HotM competition. As a side note, perhaps the moderators could also choose a candidate for the competition as the "wild card", if you will. In the actual HotM, things would remain pretty much the same: the regular users would vote for their favourite hacks from the list of eligible hacks. My idea is primarily a reform of the process by which hacks are designated as "eligible" as I recall there was some quarreling over that aspect of the HotM.

As I stated in my MSN conversation, the HotW has always been an unofficial competition here at PC (to which Megiddo took offense^^). This proposal would mean that the HotW would become an official part of the PokéCommunity, although I don't see what's so wrong with that. One issue is the the fact that only newer hacks would be able to win. To deal with this, we could set aside the previous winners and they could keep their awards. However, people could vote for any of the previous winners as though they had never won an award before. Although the voting would be awfully dispersed among many, many hacks if people could vote for any hack they wanted. Perhaps there should be some sort of system for narrowing down the choices by how old it is? By popularity?

Another issue is what to do with hacks that have won the HotW but didn't win the HotM. Should they be able to be voted for again in the HotW? Should they somehow be incorporated into the next HotM competition? I only got so far in my brainstorming so there is still a lot left to be decided. I suppose people can post their ideas in this thread (given that the administration permits that).

Another issue (yes, another) is the time constraints. We would somehow have to coordinate the timing of the voting (the HotM voting, mind you) so that people had plenty of time to vote. With my current idea, people would only have a couple of days to vote before the next month started, unless we allowed the voting to continue into the next month. On a similar note, there are more than 28 days in a month so there would actually be roughly 4.3 weeks each month. It would seem like nothing at first but slowly things could start to get off track.

— — — — — — — —

For those of you who are too lazy (for lack of a harsher word) to read anything longer than three sentences, here's a brief summary: I think that the hacks which should be eligible in the HotM should be the four winners of the HotW for that same month.

Yours truly,
Colcolstyles

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
True, although my idea is simply a suggestion; it's still full of loopholes. Yes, the HotW would become official which I don't mind although Megiddo might think otherwise. Indeed a lot of work would have to be done in order to ensure that everything works smoothly but if people like the idea, it might be worth it. Although it really comes down to what the ROM Hacking moderators decide as it is their forum. If you prefer the current system, then go ahead and keep it. I was just throwing my opinions out there.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
why not do it like this:
The month of February, another poll is up for voting.
The winner of the poll should be declared by the end of the month and will be the hack of the month for the next month. which in my example, in March.

Or are you doing that now? :\

Anyways, good day~

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Ah... That's very well planned, I should say.
Thanks for that info~

kid1513

~ Pixel Artist
Years
I vote for: Ruby Destiny Life Of Guardian
Why? I know that DJG is very creative and he came up with a new idea!
Beside, he hasn't finished his hack yet...
But Light Platinum is cool, too! Really...

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Another Suggestion

Is it at all possible to lock a thread but keep its poll open for voting? I'm not very familiar with the vBulletin system but if it was possible, perhaps people (kid1213, EBAiscool, пзо) would actually VOTE IN THE POLL</subtlety>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back