• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: First Map of the Quarter - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
First Map of the Quarter - 2012

Introduction:

As was pointed out in the introduction of the Hack of the Quarter thread, the unfortunate discontinuation of Hack of the Month left the Emulation section with very few - Well, virtually no events to bring about community participation. This is the second in a series of new events being introduced: Welcome to the first official Map of the Quarter!

Much like Map of the Month back in the depths of 2009, this competition gives people the opportunity to post maps they have made to show off their skills. To keep things interesting, there will be a theme each quarter to base your map on. Aside from adhering to the theme, your map can be set anywhere and be composed of anything. The winner will recieve an emblem to signify their great mapping abilities, because... That's about all that can be offered other than pride and bragging rights.

The submission window will remain open for 21 days, at which point this thread will be closed and three maps will be chosen by DrFuji and myself. These maps will be posted in a judging thread where there will be a poll to vote for your favourite map.

Next month will be the debut of the 'irregular' competition which will allow you to compete in a variety of competitions that differ from quarter to quarter - If you have any interesting ideas to help fill this slot then don't hesitate to contact us. Check out what this month's theme is and get mapping!

This Quarter's Theme:

Create a map where a waterfall is a central feature.

Rules:
  • You may only submit one map per competition.
  • When submitting a map, please do so in spoiler tags, or in the form of a link. This is to prevent the possibility of unintended screen stretching due to particularly large maps.
  • Give credits to the makers of any tiles or tools used.
  • No complaining if your map wasn't chosen as one of the final few.
  • This thread is for map submissions and contest related questions only - Any posts not containing either will be deleted.

Last edited:

PokeBunny

Pokemon Game Maker
Years
cool i can do hgss pokemon burning gold map from falls. can I? or is it not mine?
dont infract me! i was only looking for pokemon infinity (cause of graphics)

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
cool i can do hgss pokemon burning gold map from falls. can I? or is it not mine?
dont infract me! i was only looking for pokemon infinity (cause of graphics)

I don't really understand what you're saying, but are you asking if you can enter a map from somebody else's game? If this is the case then the answer is no.

The map that you enter into this contest must be completely original and any instances of intentional theft may result in a warning or infraction as per the Hacks Showcase Rules.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
In fact, it seems that he's asking about using a map from HG/SS. I guess I'll ask a related question. If someone has a ROMhack of an original game (let's use Liquid Crystal as an example) and a completed map of an area meant to mimic the original, would that still count as someone else's original map since the inspiration and original layout came from that game? Or does it in fact count as your own map if you redid it in your hack with new graphics, new changes to the layout, etc.?

Cyclone

Years
It's fine to submit a map that's a revamp/version of an existing Nintendo map. Of course it's not really okay to take a map from someone else's hack and remap it with different tiles, since that'd be the same as copying someone's essay and changing the wording a bit. So it's all right to revamp Nintendo maps, but not those made by other hackers.

To be honest, complete originality is preferred, but you can remap Nintendo maps if you want.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I think the idea is that the maps that will get voted on are mostly in these hacks, but I also see your point. Perhaps an announcement in ROM hacking linking here?

Cyclone

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I feel like this should be stickied in ROM Hacking, not in Hacks Showcase. Since, you know, the Map Rating thread is there.

We chose to sticky the thread here because it was more consistent with previous threads than for any other reason. Map of the Month threads were posted in the Showcase and keeping every monthly thread in the same forum is preferable to changing around the location. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have MotQ in ROM Hacking, but moving it because Rating/ Review is there isn't as appealing as keeping a nice consistency.

I think the idea is that the maps that will get voted on are mostly in these hacks, but I also see your point. Perhaps an announcement in ROM hacking linking here?

Cyclone

In previous mapping competitions (MotM, Get Togethers etc) the majority of maps entered were made specifically for the contest rather than entering maps from already established games. An announcement wouldn't really be necessary considering the closeness of the forums and how hacking members aren't known for exclusively belonging to specific sub-forums within Emulation.

Thanks for your suggestions Darth and Cyclone :)

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
No, really, this should be in ROM Hacking. Hacks Showcase should only be for... hacks being showcased. Contests should have never been held here in the first place. ROM Hacking is best because it is the only forum general enough to allow a contest, and I think it'll recieve the most attention there.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Okay, well I guess I'm the only person so far. I actually think this contest could be fun. My map is sorta based off the route to Zora's Domain in Zelda OoT.

Credits: WesleyFG/Game Freak for tiles and palettes.

It's an attachment so you can enlarge it more.

Attachments

• ContestMap1.png
    ContestMap1.png
    87 KB · Views: 140

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Okay, well I guess I'm the only person so far. I actually think this contest could be fun. My map is sorta based off the route to Zora's Domain in Zelda OoT.

Credits: WesleyFG/Game Freak for tiles and palettes.

It's an attachment so you can enlarge it more.

Hey that actually seems pretty thought out!

Assuming the player doesn't have surf the first time around, it would suck the wrong way initially (unless they both lead to the same place ;o ). I can imagine having to go back all the way up then around back down. Cool map concept nonetheless. Often people don't design their maps for more than one trip.

I am allowed to give my comments on maps that are posted I assume :D?
Doesn't matter about the map, he'll probably win by default anyways.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2015
Waterfall (x2) Map

Here's mine. I made it in Advance Map, with a Ruby tileset.
I was not going for a playable map, more of an art project.

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
syracusefalls.png

Syracuse Falls, not my best work, but here it is.
Credit to Kyledove for the tiles.
Do I need to spoiler it, even if my map doesn't stretch the page?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Another nice and huge area! I'm surprised we don't have crashing with areas this big; what's the biggest area in an official game? Route 47 in SoulSilver comes to mind and that was also a nice waterfall map. Wish we could climb the waterfall and head downstream from there in 48.

Cyclone

Years
Just to bump this up and let you guys know that there's about 12 hours left before the submission window closes, so be sure to get your maps in on time! :)

EDIT: Well, there we go. Instead of 12 hours, about 21 hours actually passed, so.. yeah, the submission window is now closed. Expect the voting thread to come shortly! :)

Last edited:

RedFan

Master Trainer
Years
Well here's my map too.

Credits: Gamefreak - Fire Red Rom
Neti - Tiles from his rombase.

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back