• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Migrating to Gen 6

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm going to be the complete oddball and say that I really hope we can't transfer our Pokemon...

It might just be me but in my Gen V files and even Gen IV, I have so many Pokemon that are just clustered onto one game from migrating in past generations, and it has a domino effect in Gen V because you can get Pokemon from RSE, Colo/XD, FRLG, DPPt, and HGSS and I know that it helps tons with getting Pokemon that aren't otherwise accessible, but I feel like the domino effect is just going to get progressively worse with each generation.

I know it'd be otherwise impossible for us to get all 700+ Pokemon on one game without transferring, yet that's how Ruby and Sapphire were until the GameCube games and FRLG were introduced. So hopefully we get RS remakes and other games that'll provide that accessibility...

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
Years
If Eevee is able to evolve into Leafeon in X and Y, my opinion on migrating pokes is neutral.. BUT if there isn't some type of moss rock in X and Y, they better incorporate a way to transfer your old pokes to the new games cause I need my Leafeon *angry face*

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Gen V migration is pretty much a given, just speaking realistically.

What I'm worried about is direct migration from Gen IV.

I have a complete living Pokedex on Pearl version, and I really, really don't want to have to transfer 493 Pokemon twice (once to get them on Gen V, then again to get them on Gen VI).

Also, without allowing to transfer from Gen IV directly, to transfer anything from Gen III would be extremely irritating (you'd literally have to go through every generation).

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
The 3DS can already read data from the current generation with the Dream Radar, so at least we've got that going for us.

I'd say that the only way we're not getting migration is if the base mechanics of Pokemon are changing. Things like how stats work, or experience, or IVs and EVs and such. Though, with how groundbreaking this generation looks, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an overhaul just like that that breaks compatibility.
I'd actually be okay with this. If GF somehow invents a new stat system that does away with how IVs are handed out, and in turn makes RNGing almost pointless (bear in mind, I'm actually okay with RNG being used to get max stats), then I could understand if previous-gen Pokemon couldn't be transferred. Or it could even mess with Gen 4/5 IVs depending on how Gen VI's stat system works -- that is, if GF even makes a new one.

I honestly think GF needs to do something about IVs, because they must know by now that tournament players have cracked their codes time and again to make their Pokemon the best they can be, so I'd say it's about time they try a new approach to making a Pokemon unique and yet at the same time still optimal for competitive use.

But yeah, If the Dream Radar could interact with DS games, then transferring Pokemon from DS games is still doable. I imagine that Nintendo could make a 3DS app that stores the Pokemon you send from your Gen IV and V games and allows you to send them to X/Y later.

Also, might be slightly off-topic, but I'd even be okay if GF stopped using the Dream World; honestly, having us manage two Dream Worlds is a bit inconvenient, but three Dream Worlds would be unreasonable. Although, it certainly doesn't help that there's a limit on how long you can play, but then when I heard your items get taken away after a certain amount of days, that was a real letdown. Dream World honestly started to bore me after a while. I guess I just don't enjoy endless online games, even if it's about Pokemon, the most addictive thing in the world. Try something else, Game Freak. =P

Last edited:
Years
Part of me wants migrating to be incorporated, as I've spent countless hours on my Pokemon, so why shouldn't I be able to use them? However, if they remove migration, it'll stop things like RNG'd and hacked Pokemon from being used (personally I don't use either, but I'm sure it would cause an outcry with those who do). And with no backwards-compatibility, it opens up the floor to more remakes, since I doubt all Pokemon will be able to be found in X and Y. And just like HG/SS, I'm sure that any Ruby/Sapphire remakes are as good as printing money.

If I were Game Freak or Nintendo, I wouldn't have any sort of migration, because it will add up to more overall sales in the long run. But as a gamer, though, I sincerely hope that migration is included.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
Though I also did bail out on Gen 5. Don't know why. But thinking of reconsider on actually playing the games. So hope they input migration, or ill be a mixed reaction panda. But is Pokemon X and Y consider Gen 6? Or is the title of this thread a trick?

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
I personally am not going to transfer anything to my new game (except trophy Pokemon) unless the Pokemon is unobtainable and even then I am only going to transfer level 1 versions of the Pokemon. I'm not trading over any really well trained Pokemon.

But i think the creators know that now people put a lot of effort into training there Pokemon, catching shinnies, Iv breeding and what ever so i think they will make a way to trade over again. I doubt it will be two ways i think it will be a migrating system again.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
My friend Wiilio brought up migrating Pokemon in Gen 6. I realized that you could migrate from Gen 1 to Gen 2, but not to Gen 3. What if they make it the same way for 4/5/6. Gen 4 to Gen 5, but no transfer to Gen 6?
Would you be okay with this?
Do you have any Pokemon in the current games that you really want to bring to X an Y?

Since generation 3, Pokemon has gone more competitive and allowed players to enter vg tournaments than the generation 1 and 2. The inability to migrate Pokemon from past games would really waste the efforts of some players who have trained and shaped their pokemon and start all over again.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
Well, Seeing as Gen V and Gen IV Both use the DS, wouldnt it also be possible to migrate pokemon directly to Gen VI? Im not an expert on this, but it does make some sense, also, i dont have a copy of a gen 5 game, and all my pokemon are in Pearl, so it would be really nice for me

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I'm really hoping the system they use to migrate pokemon over is quick. I have some 700 pokemon I have to transfer over.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
I'm actually kind of hoping they cut us off...
Why? While I admit, it was amazing to see my shiny Azumarill get from Hoenn all the way to Unova...it needs to stop. It's a new system, and I personally want a new start...(and hopefully every pokemon obtainable in XY because of the cut-off except for the event legendaries.)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I'm actually kind of hoping they cut us off...
Why? While I admit, it was amazing to see my shiny Azumarill get from Hoenn all the way to Unova...it needs to stop. It's a new system, and I personally want a new start...(and hopefully every pokemon obtainable in XY because of the cut-off except for the event legendaries.)
Sorry, but that makes no sense. If you want a fresh start, you can have one - just don't transfer anything over. Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Are you bringing over any old Pokémon with you?

There has been a lot of discussion about transferring and migrating our Pokémon from past generations into X and Y and how it may be done. However, the one question that not a lot of people are answering yet is whether or not you'll be transferring any of your old Pokémon into the new games, and if so, which ones?

Are there any Pokémon you currently have where you feel like you must transfer them over into X and Y? A Pokémon you hold in high regard perhaps? What about your Legendary and Event Pokémon, do you plan on transferring any of them over?

If you don't plan on doing any of this, then please do tell why.

Last edited:

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I don't normally transfer since I don't have a second DS to transfer with and I don't bond much with my pokemon and if I do I keep them in their native region xD

Years
If it's possible, I'm sure I'll transfer over a few of my Pokemon, but I'm not quite sure which ones yet. The only one that I'd for sure move over would be my Sceptile, which is my longest tenured Pokemon (I've had ever since I started Sapphire, and have continued transferring it to the next gen games when I can). I also might try transferring over at least one Pokemon from each generation, just so I can have a 6 Pokemon party with each region being represented.

Years
My team consists of over 50% Kanto starters. I've never liked the starters from any region, besides the three from Kanto. I'm hoping there's an option to migrate your Pokemon onto Pokemon X and Y as I am wanting to finally complete my Pokedex this time, as legit as possible that is.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I never really transfer my Pokemon over. I usually have 1 or 2 storage copies of the main games that I beat to keep all the Pokemon I get in that Generation.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I'm not sure how the transfer system would work, if it's possible. I'm sure it will though considering the 3DS can play DS games. If possible then yes! I'm transferring a lot from my Pearl.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
Most likely it can considering they have the Dream Radar working with BW2. As for actually trading anything, I doubt it. Most of my precious pokemon are on my Gamecube memory card in Colosseum and I don't feel like putting all that time into transferring them Gen by Gen up to BW2.

Back