• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeWorld. A Pokemon MMORPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
Server: Down

• Game Name: PokeWorld
  • Made with: C# and DirectX 9.0 using SlimDX as a replacement for Managed DirectX, .NET Framework
  • Introduction: Well its basically an Online Version of Pokemon.
  • Story: Not much of a story to an online game. However theres some background. The evil team is known as Team 1337, Featuring their leaders 1 the 3 twins and 7 so expect some funny Team 1337 Grunt Leet Speak.
  • Features: There are many plans for the future however this is the current Todo list.

• Fix rendering for gridded world areas.
  • Create grid files with Editor. (DONE!)
  • Add Collision
  • Get "telesquares" working.
  • Add telesquares to editor.
  • Add Character Sprite Engine
  • Write Network Core
  • Network overworld movement.
  • Celebrate version 0.0.1!
  • Create a GUI system.
  • Add chat with gui.
  • Celebrate version 0.0.2. (yah GUI's that big)
  • Add pokemon engine. (80%) Still more to go. Misses, Crits, Exp and Leveling Up.
  • Add pokemon battle screen system thing. (Could use a better Switchout Screen and Attack Select Screen.
  • add pokemon party system.
  • Celebrate version 0.0.3!
  • Update Editor with Pokemon.
  • Add item engine. (10%)
  • Add "pokesquares" to catch pokemon on.
  • Add pokemon database. (Stats, Rarity, Breeding difficulty, Possible moves, Eggmoves, etc)
  • Make sure all that works with the network.
  • Celebrate version 0.0.4!
  • Create Database system (SQL)
  • Create Registering and logging in with database
  • Celebrate version 0.0.5
  • Add AI trainers.
  • Update Editor with trainers.
  • Add Pokemon Centers.
  • Add Pokemarts.
  • Add trading.
  • Add PC's and Box system.
I will be seeking mappers in the near future, we can use Tile Artists like crazy. The game is being designed to incorporate community sprites and such. When the official website is available I will hold contests for art to be used ingame.

Below are my update logs, they are from another forum. And most likely are ridden with typo's I usually type them late at night right before I goto bed and dont bother to proof read them. But its a work in progress but its fast progress =)

Update June 10:
Work the editor is complete I'm working on imolimenting wild pokemon into the game it shouldnt be much longer until 0.0.4. There still no forum posts which makes me kinda angry, I've put alot of work into this and I was hoping to share it with pokecommunity. You guys seem to be interested in every other MMO posted on this forum. I dont know what I'm doing wrong but if theres no posts I'm going to stop updateing this forum.
Update May 25:

Version 0.0.3 was completed and tested. You take a gander at the battle screen =)

pokeworld20080517185203hg5.png

There are a couple glitches that I've since worked out and I'm working on the actual editor for pokemon. The pokemon in the test were hardcoded which is never a good thing so the editor for pokemon is at about 40% done right now. I need to put in Misses and Crital hits but that shouldnt take to incredibly long.

Some technical garbage you probably dont care about....

The foundation for battles and battle animations has been put in. I can easily cycle through messages and add animations in. All attacks are done server side and its very easy to send a message related to the attack such as the ever popular "Hit 3 times." This will make custom attacks so much easier to make. So the innards of the system are set up quite nicely.

So the question is now WHEN can you guys test it? I'd be happy to bring the server up and host the download. But not many people post in my topic. I'm not sure why. But if I 10 posts by different people I will definately bring up the server. But if theres not enough people its just not worth the time to go and set it up. So if you want to TEST IT. you should post here...I'll give you guys a couple days. But if not enough people come we'll try again next version.
Update May 7:

Well you may have been wondering what happened to me... Theres a couple things... 1 Medic Achievements came out in Team Fortress 2.... and more importantly 2) I've been working on the Pokemon battling system. 0.0.3 will instead of a database feature the first version of player vs player battling. I don't have a screen shot to show you because I'm still coding the "innards" of it. However the innards of the first battleing system are coming to an almost complete state. The question now becomes what to put into test first. Its obvious I cant have all 493 pokemon with every attack ready for testing in 0.0.3 So we need to pick 3 pokemon to use and some attacks that go with them. NOTE: You dont get to "keep" them they disapear when you log off.. They also dont gain EXP yet. You can solely test BATTLING. I have already decided to put in Missingno for fun and give him 2 watergun attacks. Heh he'll be fun. That means 2 more. Next with 0.0.2 you all were having problems running it this is because of the version of DirectX I was using. You all are used to having DirectX installed and your set to go. But I was using "Managed DirectX" which was so buggy for one reason, MICROSOFT GAVE UP ON IT BECAUSE IT WAS CRAP. So its really touchy about computers... So what did I do I found a replacement known as "SlimDX" It uses the normal directX stuff and fit nicely with my existing code. 0.0.3 will be using SlimDX thusly those of you who were not able to play should be able to play the game now! Which brings me to my last question. How should one go about challenging another to battle. Clicking, walking up and pressing a button? If your walking up and pressing a button, what happens if more than one player is on a space?
Update April 25:
Hello, sorry it has been a while since I update, I was busy. However I finally got SlimDX working properly a few modifications and we'll be in v0.0.3 with some changes of course. I started coding the pokemon engine, Its about 30% done, this does not include creating the attacks, and pokemon. just the engine for it all to run with.
Update April 28 2008:
Well I almost have all the glitches out of the new Rendering system, SlimDX. Which will then allow us greater compatibility on everyone's machine. I also changed up some things on the networking side, The server now has more control, for when we get a database of players and such. Also I fixed some crashing that would occur periodically when going through doors and teleports. More later =)
Update April 15 2008:
Stress test, Well my friend got a bunch of people together to stress test the current server, remarkably it held up quite well. Here's some pics from the madness....
42690564ov8.png

72442977lz2.png

Eventually the figured out the only difference between a GM and a non GM was the name... To change later...

66173659oo5.png

Here we are Invading the test route that leads no where...

Other Good news SlimDX is now working, but has some graphical errors that need working out. So were only a little bit further from a better renderer!
Update April 14 2008:

Well I managed to get 15 posts to post on Pokecommunity! But I have some bad news =( Turns out Managed DirectX is sort of Depricated by Microsoft and I will be switching rendering to SlimDX. Its going smooth expect and update later today =)
Update April 12 200:

WELCOME TO... VERSION 0.0.2 Chat was just tested a couple minutes ago and it works! behold the screeny!!!
v2wc9.png

PCG's making a few more map area's for the party, and i'm putting final touches on the code!!!
Update April 9 2008:
Text boxes are mostly working now! A few missing characters here and there but those will be resolved, I relayed out the Login screen to incorporate the new Username Box! Also buttons now fuction properly and the red one displayed connects... Just like it says!
newloginscreenbr1.png

Next up... Updated GUIManager, Message Boxes, Chat Box!
Update April 7 2008:
Ok well I got the sprite font thing semi working needs some tweaks. I need to add the Special Characters to the glyph set. But here's a picy of it in action!
glyphsgd1.png
Update April 6 2008:
Ok, further stuff on the GUI, heres what the login screen is going to look like, with some modifications of course....
loginscreenwq7.png

Unfortunately I have discovered there is a memory leak in there that causes it to eat ram up until it runs out! This is a problem and will take soem time to fix....
Upate April 5 2008:

Well I got DirectX to stop being a tard. And thusly was able to prudce the first part of the GUI. A simple panel that has a nice look to it. =) Behold a simple Graphical Panel....

guijk9.jpg
Update April 4 2008:

I woulda had a screeny for you tonight... Buuuuuuuuuuuuut. Managed DirectX has to go and be all stupid on me. Its like microsoft just kinda farted all over the Draw2D function.... I was trying to stretch part of an image for the sides of a GUI Panel, but they render all over the friggin place. I even managed to mess up my video ram with the strange thing... It replaced the flowers with some weird combination of pixels o___o. Hopefully I'll have this sorted out soon. its weird.
Update April 3 2008:

No pics to show yet but the GUI engine has been designed, I'm in the process of writeing core code for it and hopefully will have some pics by this weekend =)
Update March 29 2008
Well I beleive I have removed most if not all of the glitches in v0.0.1 and we have officially come to it! *Takes deep breath* Smells like success, if your paying attention to the update list, I move GUI ahead of databasing. Do to the fact in order to log into a database you have to be able to type in your username / password... So its coming first in the lineup... I'm starting on it today. I'm doing some planning and hopefully I 'll have a few images to show you...
NETWORRRRRRRK
Update: March 27 2008:

Well today I finally got networked overworld movement working, you can see it in the attached screenshot. I'm running three of the game all connected to a server. Its not quite ready for the release of v0.0.1, as you can see the top left game does not show the other players... Its currently being worked on but for the majority it friggin works! Were oh so close to our first version.
Update March 20 2008:

I'm almost done adding telesquares to the editor. The work inside now i just have to write saving / loading! Then I can release the first version of the level editor for you all to fiddle with! The editor has a well designed architecture for future tile effectors so theres a dialog that seems pointless now, but later you'll be like... "Oh so thats what thats for..." I'm gonna continue working on it get some loading and saving on both game and editor sides. post a screeny and then host the editor. Now if I can just get a hold of dragon...
Update March 19 2008:

So far tonight I've got telesquares working inside the game. .wobbuffet. I worked out the last part of the .map file format that will allow for any type of tile modifier. Such as the telesquares used for doors and such. The space used for telesquares is slightly larger than it needs to be to fit the format, however the format allows for things like pokemon squares where you encounter pokemon. For the future of course. Its quite veritable. I'm going to work on updating the editor for the telesquares a little. I have some more homework tonight though. Its a slightly larger update, and I haven't completely figured out how the interface is going to work so... We'll see This last modification will be among the last before the first release of the level editor itself. Other modifications will include bug fixing. thats about it for now. When I release I will put out a tutorial on how to use it.

In other news I found a handy library that can bind Lua scripts to C# so it will be possible in the future to write scripts for NPC's and events and stuff! It should be cool it will allow us to make adjustments to the game world without rebuilding the actual code! Lua is a fast scripting language and the library to bind it to C# is in version 2 so its pretty good as of now!

Since were approaching v0.0.1 we could really use a name for this thing.
PLEASE POST IDEAS FOR THE NAME

Something like Pokemon _____ version to fit with the conventional naming style.
Update March 18 2008:

No new screens today, I did some internal work on the engine of the game smoothed out how loading is going to work between different buildings and back to grids. It went great tomorrow i'll start on tile Effectors and the teletiles themself and we'll have some buildings working. As soon as that's done I'll start networking stuff. Networking could take a bit I havent done any network code with C# before so expect a little research nessicary!
Update March 17 2008:
Further tested character system by tryout out some other oddly shaped characters such as the fat guy...

Added Collision back into the game, it existed in java version but not the C#! Changed the way it works to allow other terrain types like water, those crappy tiles that you cant get up without a bike, stuff like that not totally implimented but the power exists! I'll have to update the editor so you can mark water.

Were getting close to some networking and version 0.0.1!!!! .wobbuffet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
This is nice there is already a pokemon online mmorpg called cyengine pokemon online, but i hope you continue this game looks good!

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
Well thankyou some are experiencing some problems with the game itself so I'm trying to work out a new renderer however it doesnt like my x64 Windows so it's holding me back just a bit.

I was using Managed DirectX which according to my Gamedev.net IRC pal's is pretty much dropped by microsoft. So I took up a version called SlimDX and I'm currently converting my RenderingDLL to it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
A lot of stuff you just said i didn't understand:p but i understanded most parts, you cant use directx so u use slimdx and now you compile all the directx stuff to slimdx:)

Looking good but you still have a long road to walk;)...

will there be all 498 pokemon ? would be cool!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
Posted Update read at top... Also how do I edit the thread's title?

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
Another update and I still dont know how to edit the thread topic.....

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
Ok well I release each version. The next version to be ready will be Version 0.0.4

0.0.4 will have the following features.

Overworld Movement,
Selectable Player Characters,
Overworld Chat,
Player vs Player Battling,
Wild Pokemon Battling/Catching
A new map

I dont know the exact day it will be done but it will be soon. I have to finish writeing code for the version and then do some editing for the new map and pokemon. It should have it's next release in a couple days, perhaps tomorrow it all depends on how few glitches my code creates and how much time I have. When the time comes I will supply a download link. The servers will only be up temporarly as I lack a dedicated server. However in the following version (0.0.5) I hope to set up a dedicated server to run the game non-stop.

The game itself is seeking to be a online version of the handheld games. Meaning, in the future, you will sign in with a user name and password. You can travel the game world and see other people playing the game and interact with them by chatting, trading, or battling. You will be able to catch and train pokemon just as you can with the handheld versions of the game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
Ok I will release version 0.0.4 tonight at 10 pm eastern time check back then for download! ^.^

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
K guys its gonna be a little tad bit longer theres an annoying bug i'm gonna fix. Sorry for the delay.

fudgy

so i herd you liek mudkipz?
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2010
you need everyone to be a different person

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
Ok were done!

Theres a slight glitch with RUN it tells you that your out of useable pokemon... Just point and laugh at it.

If your having issues running the game try downloading the DirectX End User Runtime
link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

The pick your character screen is NOT a loading screen.

All progress is lost when you log out, theres no database yet! This is v0.0.4 its still in beta.

To challenge another player to a PVP battle right click their character

See attached zip file for download!

PS. Big thanks to AOH NAH for releasing some great sprites.

Last edited:

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
Years
Aron is God Tier.

Anyway, it looks promising. It was a lot of fun, and if you can iron out the glitches and expand it a bit, I'd definitely play it. Keep up the good work.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2010
It's obviously needs some polish, its only v0.0.4, its not even a tenth of the way to out of beta. The idea behind these releases is to gain some momentum in the project. It gets frustrateing when I do alot of code and no one cares so I like to share when I make a little step.

Next version I hope to really polish some things. The high encounter rate is a simple edit the map problem. I want to add nicer switch out, bag, and attack screens. The existing ones look like junk. I'm gathering data on server crashes. I dont know why it randomly hangs I think theres a blocking thread somewhere. The battle system looks absolutely horrible from a code point of view and is getting a major clean up after this version. Its so sloppy and needs a makeover. The task of writing a battle system is enormous and my first attempt is kinda bad so with a second go it will be alot cleaner, alot more effective, use less memory and crash less =P.

0.0.5 is when i'll have a website with updates and you'll finally be able to register an account, so your progress and pokemon are not lost everytime my unstable server decides to kick everyone.

also the battle images are blury which they should be clear and pixely this makes me angry because I went to much trouble to fix this and it's still not doing what i'm asking the graphics card.

So still lots of work to do =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back