• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Downloadable Content

TY

Downloadable Content (aka DLC) is nowadays avalible with almost every game you see. Some are free, some make you pay a ton of money. What's your opinion on DLC's? Do you think they should all be free? What is your favorite type of DLC (as in map packs, extra characters, extra weapons, etc.)?

Outlier

I hate it because in most cases game developers will leave things out of their games just to sell us things that should have already been included. COD is one of the worst offenders with their season pass. I'm not going to pay for a season pass that costs as much as the game itself just to have access to extra maps.

TY

I hate it because in most cases game developers will leave things out of their games just to sell us things that should have already been included. COD is one of the worst offenders with their season pass. I'm not going to pay for a season pass that costs as much as the game itself just to have access to extra maps.

Usually they make them after they released the game, so they dont leave anything out. If its just a few extra maps i dont see a point that they held stuff behind. Now if it were missions in a campaign it would be a different story. It is just a plain cheap, yet effective way to make extra money. Though i do see your point, it can be seen as if they held stuff behind.

Outlier

I don't mean they literally create the content then hold off on releasing it until after the game comes out. But when designing a game, especially with online shooters, then they often don't put a whole lot of maps in the game in the first place to encourage players to purchase the maps when they come out as DLC. I mean why do you think you can buy season passes for most games before they even come out these days?

TY

I don't mean they literally create the content then hold off on releasing it until after the game comes out. But when designing a game, especially with online shooters, then they often don't put a whole lot of maps in the game in the first place to encourage players to purchase the maps when they come out as DLC. I mean why do you think you can buy season passes for most games before they even come out these days?

Aha, in that case i totally agree with you. However this is just one game series. I have dozens of other DLC which totally is worth the money. Map packs alone shouldnt cost $15 imo.

Outlier

The only times where I felt like I really got my money's worth were when I bought the DLC packs for GTA IV & Skyrim. They gave us actual expansions to the games, decent sized campaigns to play through and a bunch of new weapons and perks to have fun with. And the original games were packed with plenty of content to begin with.

The Arkham series are among my favorite games of the past decade but they're notorious in my mind for ripping people off with their overpriced DLC. Seriously I remember when it was around $5.00 to buy a single in-game costume or challenge map. Not to mention that atrociously short 2 hour campaign for Arkham City that would set you back another $15-20.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
When I look at the amount of updates, and content in those updates, added to X3TC by humble old Egosoft, I feel compelled to argue that any DLC short of a full-on expansion should be free. I would under any mindset at least say DLC is generally overpriced (like small chocolate bars versus 200g of the same stuff... it's that sort of thing). Fortunately, any company developing for PCs still has the incentive of modding communities to make the official DLC worthwhile... or possibly not, since it seems that enough people buy these things anyway. Sad times.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I like DLC but am a miser so don't get DLC unless I'm obsessed with a game. I think DLC is important because it adds new content to the game so players won't get bored. I think most DLC should cost a little bit, but sometimes prices are too high. I wish we could see DLC on Pokemon XY or DLC on more Nintendo based games like Smash Bros. or Mario Kart.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'm ok with DLC, since I can find exclusive features or characters that I can get when I'm using my internet. Even though I think they should be free, because I'm not sure if buying DLC is supported in my country.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2016
I'm fine with it as long as it's not something that easily could have (and probably should have) just been added in the original game. But if it's just something to add extra fun content, then sure.

As for price.. it depends. I think the Season Pass for Bioshock Infinite is more than reasonable, but some new levels/campaigns/maps/etc for other games that are upwards of $15 are a bit too high in my opinion. Unless it really does add a lot of extra gameplay.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
The only DLCs that I consider buying are either free ones that give out new levels or dungeons or cheap trophy DLCs...
In overall, I don't like paying for DLCs... It feels weird paying for more than the game...

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I like DLC but am a miser so don't get DLC unless I'm obsessed with a game.

Yup. Yup yup yup. Me too. XD

I like DLC if it's something extra and not necessary to fully enjoy the game or know the story (like Dissidia's extra outfits and music).

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Fine with DLC. In my PSP last year, I can barely download DLC that has price.
Since sometimes it's not supported to my country and I'm only able to download the free ones.
In my PS3, it's supported for unknown reason. But I guess they're better off free. No more.

Years
I'm reluctantly accepting of DLC if it's just in the form of extra maps, skins, stuff like that. (I think it's a little cheap, but it helps them make money and most people who buy it don't seem to complain.)

What I'm not okay with is DLC that actually improves your performance against people who don't have it, e.g. stronger weapons and magic. That's just broken and I don't play games like that as a passive form of protest. (I'll continue to play Pokemon after the release of Bank, because you can build a perfectly good team in just X/Y, most friends would be glad to give you eggs of anything else you'd want, and Bank barely costs anything.)

Back